Singapore Expats Forum

PEP Queries

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PEP_APP
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 24 Apr 2011

PEP Queries

Postby PEP_APP » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 1:02 am

I am an Indian working in Singapore on P1 Pass from last four years. My company is asking me to relocate to Japan at three weeks from now. I have a three month's notice clause for resigning the company.

My current employer will cancel my EP once I leave the country and settle the taxes for me.

I am planning to apply for PEP and have following questions

1. Shall I apply for the PEP while in Singapore or do the same after I get relocated.

2. My EP will be cancelled in three weeks time, will it have any bearing on my PEP application (which still would be in process of approval)

3. Should I wait for General Election to get over (for favourable outcome)

4. The application asks for Basic Monthly Salary, Fixed Monthly Salary and Gross Annual Salary. What is the MOM definition for these.

5. My gross monthly salary (annual Income tax assessment income/12) is SGD 8500, but after deductions of taxes and benefits it comes close to 7300. Which salary (gross or net) is considered as 8K cap for PEP application ?

5. Should I apply for Dependents Pass (along with my application) or wait for my PEP to approve and then apply for DPs. Currently have two Dps issued on my P1 pass.

6. Any other point I should evaluate in above situation.

Would really appreciate your expert views.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 9:53 am

I would imagine your chances of getting a PEP approved are higher in you are currently on an EP in SG, in comparison to not having any job at all in SG.

PEP approval should be quick. If I were you, I wouldn't waste any time and apply for a PEP right away, if I wanted to stay here in SG.

Cheers!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:15 am

If your company is moving you to Japan, then why the need for PEP? Or do you want to apply for the PEP so that you can resign your job, stay in Singapore, and look for another job? It's not clear from your post

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:16 pm

JayCee, that was my thoughts exactly as well. We need some clarification of what his intentions are. If he goes to Japan with the PEP and stays there longer than 6 months, the PEP is null and void and wasted as well as it's a one time affair only.

PEP_APP
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 24 Apr 2011

Postby PEP_APP » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks Rev, Jaycee, Sundaymorningstaple for your reply.

I am sorry I was not clear with my intention in earlier post. I am forced to go to Japan (3 months clause, can not leave the company before that).

I get PEP AIP. Go to Japan serve the current organization for three months (at the same time continue my job hunt in Singapore).

Once I have some chances to get another job, leave the current organization and come back to Singapore for good.

My key concern is,

1. Should I apply for PEP now or let the election get over (around 10th May). I have hard deadline to leave by 20th.
2. Will my current organization know about my PEP application.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 3:29 pm

PEP_APP wrote:Thanks Rev, Jaycee, Sundaymorningstaple for your reply.

I am sorry I was not clear with my intention in earlier post. I am forced to go to Japan (3 months clause, can not leave the company before that).

I get PEP AIP. Go to Japan serve the current organization for three months (at the same time continue my job hunt in Singapore).

Once I have some chances to get another job, leave the current organization and come back to Singapore for good.

My key concern is,

1. Should I apply for PEP now or let the election get over (around 10th May). I have hard deadline to leave by 20th.
2. Will my current organization know about my PEP application.


Your current organization will get a cc copy of the letter of your PEP result by post.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 3:44 pm

PEP_APP wrote:Thanks Rev, Jaycee, Sundaymorningstaple for your reply.

I am sorry I was not clear with my intention in earlier post. I am forced to go to Japan (3 months clause, can not leave the company before that).

I get PEP AIP. Go to Japan serve the current organization for three months (at the same time continue my job hunt in Singapore).

Once I have some chances to get another job, leave the current organization and come back to Singapore for good.

My key concern is,

1. Should I apply for PEP now or let the election get over (around 10th May). I have hard deadline to leave by 20th.
2. Will my current organization know about my PEP application.


I'd be surprised if your company would send you to Japan for 3 months after you hand your notice in, doesn't make financial sense to pay all that money to send over an employee who is not motivated to do well. Anything is possible though I guess.

I know of companies that when they've laid people off they've put them on gardening leave and told them to apply for a PEP so that they will have a visa to look for a new job so they can stay in Singapore if they wish. I also applied for my PEP whilst with my existing company, so not every company will be against you having a PEP and decide to let you go because of it, if that's what your worry is.

I'd apply for the PEP now, if you're approved then give your notice and tell them that you're not going to Japan, they can't force you and obviously finding another job in Singapore will be much easier if you're here and not in Japan. That should give you 9 months (3 months of which are your notice period plus 6 months once your employment period ends) to find something else in Singapore. Of course, if you're not approved and your company finds out about your PEP application then who knows what will happen, but if you're totally against going to Japan then I would have thought it's the only route to try. If they lay you off you at least have 3 months to find another job in Singapore that'll appy for an EP for you
Last edited by JayCee on Mon, 25 Apr 2011 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PEP_APP
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 24 Apr 2011

Updates & Query

Postby PEP_APP » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 3:44 pm

Really appreciate your views/suggestions.

I have checked my documents again and the facts are
1. I am P2 pass holder. In my initial application employer is showing fixed salary of 4000.
2. In the IRAS assessment notice (filed by employer) the gross annual income is 98000 (monthly 8166). I am drawing around 7100 to 7300 per month. With all perk values, it comes close to 8166.

I went through PEP eligibility criteria (P2 Pass holders that have worked on a P2 pass in Singapore for at least two years. They should have earned a fixed salary of at least $30,000 in the preceding year.)

With P2, i am eligible to apply. However the overseas application is ruled out (as I am not having p1 pass).

In the light of above facts, what are my chances for approval for PEP if I apply in Singapore? Is it okay to apply during this time.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Updates & Query

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 3:56 pm

PEP_APP wrote:Really appreciate your views/suggestions.

I have checked my documents again and the facts are
1. I am P2 pass holder. In my initial application employer is showing fixed salary of 4000.
2. In the IRAS assessment notice (filed by employer) the gross annual income is 98000 (monthly 8166). I am drawing around 7100 to 7300 per month. With all perk values, it comes close to 8166.

I went through PEP eligibility criteria (P2 Pass holders that have worked on a P2 pass in Singapore for at least two years. They should have earned a fixed salary of at least $30,000 in the preceding year.)

With P2, i am eligible to apply. However the overseas application is ruled out (as I am not having p1 pass).

In the light of above facts, what are my chances for approval for PEP if I apply in Singapore? Is it okay to apply during this time.


How long have u been working on a P2 pass in SG?

PEP_APP
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 24 Apr 2011

Postby PEP_APP » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 4:19 pm

Its four years now

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:13 pm

PEP_APP wrote:Its four years now


You can try applying now. You have a pretty decent chance of getting it approved as you are on P2 for 4 years with a good income for past 4 years. Good Luck.

But remember as SMS has said PEP is just only once. So if it expires/you accidentally waste it, cant get it back again. So think well once before you apply.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:JayCee, that was my thoughts exactly as well. We need some clarification of what his intentions are. If he goes to Japan with the PEP and stays there longer than 6 months, the PEP is null and void and wasted as well as it's a one time affair only.


The way I interpreted the OP's 1st post is, his company is asking him to relocate to Japan. He doesn't want to go, yet he cannot say so cuz in 3 weeks time its almost impossible to find a new job. So even though he wants to quit he would wouldn't want to tell his employer until he got the back up plan with him :wink:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:44 pm

According to one of our other regulars (Beppi?) earlier today, he's seen P1's with good incomes being rejected, as of late, for PEP status even though well qualified. It would seem that they are looking much harder now at those who they would actually like to see remain in Singapore as opposed to those who are obviously just trying to use the system or already have a too high presence already and are skewing the potential racial percentages.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:According to one of our other regulars (Beppi?) earlier today, he's seen P1's with good incomes being rejected, as of late, for PEP status even though well qualified. It would seem that they are looking much harder now at those who they would actually like to see remain in Singapore as opposed to those who are obviously just trying to use the system or already have a too high presence already and are skewing the potential racial percentages.


Yeah, I agree. I noticed a few people lately reporting about PEP rejections on the forum here.

But everything else being equal, the OP is still better of applying for PEP while his EP is still active rather than applying once he has left SG, is what I thought. The OP has nothing to lose in this case, but if he does get his PEP then he could well say his company sayonara and stay on here and look for another job.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Apr 2011 6:49 am

You forget one important factor. It doesn't matter if he files now or later. If he files now and leaves his company or even goes overseas, he needs to inform ICA/MOM of any changes to his application. Same with any government/mom/ica application. So apply now and then have the application pulled later when he goes overseas and his status changes. Doesn't really matter to me, but it might to him as those applications usually, when pulled, as we've seen before, tend to go to the back of the queue and start over again.

At the end of the day, it's his decision. :-|


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest