Singapore Expats Forum

Forgot FIN number - need help!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

alzs-
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 31 Mar 2017

Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby alzs- » Fri, 31 Mar 2017 9:12 am

Hello everyone!

My husband lived in Singapore for 1 year back n 2005. We are applying for a Visa in Canada and we need a police certificate from Singapore (COC). To get the COC, we need his FIN Number.

The problem is he does not have the card anymore nor does he remember the number. We checked with INSEAD, where he studied, and they don't have this info. Nothing on the passport either.

Anyone knows how we can discover his old fin number so we can proceed?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9790
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 31 Mar 2017 9:19 am

alzs- wrote:Hello everyone!

My husband lived in Singapore for 1 year back n 2005. We are applying for a Visa in Canada and we need a police certificate from Singapore (COC). To get the COC, we need his FIN Number.

The problem is he does not have the card anymore nor does he remember the number. We checked with INSEAD, where he studied, and they don't have this info. Nothing on the passport either.

Anyone knows how we can discover his old fin number so we can proceed?

Thanks in advance!

In 2005, I thought they did stamp the FIN # in the passport ?

alzs-
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 31 Mar 2017

Re: RE: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby alzs- » Fri, 31 Mar 2017 9:36 am

ecureilx wrote:
alzs- wrote:Hello everyone!

My husband lived in Singapore for 1 year back n 2005. We are applying for a Visa in Canada and we need a police certificate from Singapore (COC). To get the COC, we need his FIN Number.

The problem is he does not have the card anymore nor does he remember the number. We checked with INSEAD, where he studied, and they don't have this info. Nothing on the passport either.

Anyone knows how we can discover his old fin number so we can proceed?

Thanks in advance!

In 2005, I thought they did stamp the FIN # in the passport ?


Unfortunately there is nothing on his passport... Only one Singapore entrance stamp back in dec 2004.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9790
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:24 am

alzs- wrote:In 2005, I thought they did stamp the FIN # in the passport ?


Unfortunately there is nothing on his passport... Only one Singapore entrance stamp back in dec 2004.[/quote]

I see.

Can't recall when they stopped stamping EP on passport.

Not sure if MOM will reveal such info unless you go in person or send somebody to request it.

alzs-
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 31 Mar 2017

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby alzs- » Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:27 am

Why MOM? He was never employed there, he was just a student. Is MOM the entity handling IC cards?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9790
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 31 Mar 2017 12:11 pm

alzs- wrote:Why MOM? He was never employed there, he was just a student. Is MOM the entity handling IC cards?

Oops. Student pass = ICA.

Still they aren't gonna reveal it over the phone or email.

Praveena
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 30 Apr 2017

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby Praveena » Sun, 30 Apr 2017 2:50 pm

I have the same issue. I am in the process of applying to immigrate to Canada and need to get a COC from Singapore but I no longer have the FIN from my Student pass. I was a student from 2008 to 2009.Please let me know what are the alternatives and what steps you;re taking in getting the problem resolved. Much appreciated!

User avatar
PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4997
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 30 Apr 2017 3:36 pm

Personally I think you're both too stupid to be allowed into Canada. You've had access for two decaded to free email and drives where you can store important docs and scans online and all you've got in there I bet are cat pictures and trump memes.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9790
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 30 Apr 2017 7:24 pm

Praveena wrote:I have the same issue. I am in the process of applying to immigrate to Canada and need to get a COC from Singapore but I no longer have the FIN from my Student pass. I was a student from 2008 to 2009.Please let me know what are the alternatives and what steps you;re taking in getting the problem resolved. Much appreciated!


None I can think of, as alternates.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1271
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby singaporeflyer » Sun, 30 Apr 2017 7:49 pm

Praveena wrote:I have the same issue. I am in the process of applying to immigrate to Canada and need to get a COC from Singapore but I no longer have the FIN from my Student pass. I was a student from 2008 to 2009.Please let me know what are the alternatives and what steps you;re taking in getting the problem resolved. Much appreciated!



You can email to ICA with your passport, any proof of you studying here and along with the need for you to know your FIN number. They might be able to help you.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9790
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:04 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
You can email to ICA with your passport, any proof of you studying here and along with the need for you to know your FIN number. They might be able to help you.


Unless the person went in person or authorised somebody to obtain the information in person, with certified copies of passport etc, never heard of ICA revealing such details by email.

Praveena
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 30 Apr 2017

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby Praveena » Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:12 pm

I agree about the ICA. I tried calling and emailing them but they refused to divulge any information. I think the best way is to authorise someone in Singapore with a certified copy of my passport and edu. documents to ask them in-person.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9790
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:31 pm

Praveena wrote:I agree about the ICA. I tried calling and emailing them but they refused to divulge any information. I think the best way is to authorise someone in Singapore with a certified copy of my passport and edu. documents to ask them in-person.

Correct!

cuonglv
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 11 Sep 2017

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby cuonglv » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 10:03 am

Hi every body
I have the same issued . Couldn't apply COC without FIN number . I plan come to ICA inperson to request. But ICA replied me in email that they were unable to disclose the information whether it is requested personally or via email.Any body success to request in person.

alzs-
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 31 Mar 2017

Re: Forgot FIN number - need help!

Postby alzs- » Mon, 11 Sep 2017 10:17 am

cuonglv wrote:Hi every body
I have the same issued . Couldn't apply COC without FIN number . I plan come to ICA inperson to request. But ICA replied me in email that they were unable to disclose the information whether it is requested personally or via email.Any body success to request in person.


I am the original poster.
My husband managed to retrieve his fin, but he had to go to Singapore and spent 5 business day there until it was solved.

I'll summarize here:

He went several times to ICA, spf, to our country's embassy, to the Canadian embassy and even to a lawyer.

In the end, the officer from spf managed to get his fin. I have no clue if it was from official methods or if she pulled some favor to help him out.

So, go to ica and get your NO, and then go beg on spf.

Other ways you may discover your fin: get a job offer (if you know someone who owns a company, MOM will inform the fin). If you ever filled a police report in Singapore, your embassy might be be able to retreave the report and get your info.

Good luck!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests