Singapore Expats Forum

Process time for Singapore Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sgaeiou

Postby sgaeiou » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 8:46 pm

Hi
I'm an Indian SPR who is also a graduate from NUS. Me and my spouse (another NUS graduate & Indian) have been granted SPR two years back. I'm working as a software engineer in Autodesk. We were married recently and we have also registered our marriage in Singapore. We will be applying for the Singaporean Citizenship. I have heard that, with Singaporean citizenship, its possible to get a H1B1 visa in the US. I'm awaiting a job offer in the US by end of this year. Any idea on how long is the processing period for the citizenship? The ICA website claims its 6 months to 2 years. I have heard from people saying it takes longer than that.
Last edited by sgaeiou on Mon, 02 Jan 2017 6:26 am, edited 5 times in total.

jamie9vardy
Regular
Regular

Postby jamie9vardy » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 9:08 pm

sgaeiou wrote:Hi
I'm an Indian SPR who is also a graduate from NUS. Me and my spouse (another NUS graduate & Indian) have been granted SPR last year. I'm working as a software engineer in Autodesk. We were married recently and we have also registered our marriage in Singapore. We have applied for the Singaporean Citizenship. I have heard that, with Singaporean citizenship, its possible to get a H1B1 visa in the US. I'm awaiting a job offer in the US by end of this year. Any idea on how long is the processing period for the citizenship? The ICA website claims its 6 months to 2 years. I have heard from people saying it takes longer than that.

I'm not sure I'm getting this right - You applied for SC after one year of being a PR? I'd thought that the minimum requirement is two years of SPR. The regulars would tell you that it's advisable to apply for SC after at least one round of REP renewal.

And you plan to leave Singapore to work in the US? So the intention of applying for SC is? Obtain the red passport as a springboard to get to the States? :-k

Maybe you should first worry about whether or not you can have your REP renewed when it's due.
Last edited by jamie9vardy on Thu, 11 Aug 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgaeiou

Re: Process time for Singapore Citizenship

Postby sgaeiou » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 9:46 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
I'm an Indian SPR who is also a graduate from NUS. Me and my spouse (another NUS graduate & Indian) have been granted SPR last year. I'm working as a software engineer in Autodesk. We were married recently and we have also registered our marriage in Singapore. We have applied for the Singaporean Citizenship. I have heard that, with Singaporean citizenship, its possible to get a H1B1 visa in the US. I'm awaiting a job offer in the US by end of this year. Any idea on how long is the processing period for the citizenship? The ICA website claims its 6 months to 2 years. I have heard from people saying it takes longer than that.

I'm not sure I'm getting this right - You applied for SC one year after being a PR? I'd thought that the minimum requirement is two years of SPR. The regulars would tell you that it's advisable to apply for SC after at least one round of REP renewal.

And you plan to leave Singapore to work in the US? So the intention of applying for SC is? Obtain the red passport as a springboard to get to the States? :-k

Maybe you should first worry about whether or not you can have your REP renewed when it's due.

Sorry, my bad. Its about 2 years and 2 months now on SPR.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 9:54 pm

I'm an Indian SPR who is also a graduate from NUS. Me and my spouse (another NUS graduate & Indian) have been granted SPR two years back. I'm working as a software engineer in Autodesk. We were married recently and we have also registered our marriage in Singapore. We have applied for the Singaporean Citizenship. I have heard that, with Singaporean citizenship, its possible to get a H1B1 visa in the US. I'm awaiting a job offer in the US by end of this year. Any idea on how long is the processing period for the citizenship? The ICA website claims its 6 months to 2 years. I have heard from people saying it takes longer than that.

Somehow, I don't think this is going to fly very well. You essentially want SG citizenship so you can leave Singapore for the USA on a H1B1 visa, yes? I just don't think that's the kind of citizens Singapore is looking for.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:13 pm

sgaeiou wrote:The ICA website claims its 6 months to 2 years. I have heard from people saying it takes longer than that.

As of what I know from the website it is 6 months to 1 year. But it may take a bit more longer than that on a case to case basis.

Have you submitted your application with the documents at ICA?

If you are trying to take SG Citizenship just for the sake of a working visa in USA, your chances are going to be very slim. Also, 2+ years of SPR may not be enough for getting citizenship ( based on the ethnicity and other details that you have quoted in your initial post)

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Postby dynoto » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:19 pm

I'm an Indian SPR who is also a graduate from NUS. Me and my spouse (another NUS graduate & Indian) have been granted SPR two years back. I'm working as a software engineer in Autodesk. We were married recently and we have also registered our marriage in Singapore. We have applied for the Singaporean Citizenship. I have heard that, with Singaporean citizenship, its possible to get a H1B1 visa in the US. I'm awaiting a job offer in the US by end of this year. Any idea on how long is the processing period for the citizenship? The ICA website claims its 6 months to 2 years. I have heard from people saying it takes longer than that.

careful .... for posting your intentions to obtain a SG citizenship ....
especially when ICA always have heads poking around.

now that you have profiled yourself, if ICA happens to read this post ... well good luck to your application or REP renewal . :-k

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:27 pm

@dynoto, you have quoted the entire OP post and asking him to be careful :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Process time for Singapore Citizenship

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:41 pm

sgaeiou wrote:I have heard that, with Singaporean citizenship, its possible to get a H1B1 visa in the US. I'm awaiting a job offer in the US by end of this year. .

And Indians wonder why Singapore is making life difficult for PR and SC applicants from India ...

You wouldn't, by any chance, withdraw your SC application right ?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Postby BBCWatcher » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:13 pm

I don't think your proposed plan or timeline is realistic.

Autodesk is an international company with considerable U.S. presence. You may qualify for a U.S. assignment with Autodesk on an L-1B visa.

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Postby dynoto » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 2:32 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:@dynoto, you have quoted the entire OP post and asking him to be careful :)

ain't just me quoting it either. :wink:

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Postby dynoto » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 2:34 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:I don't think your proposed plan or timeline is realistic.

Autodesk is an international company with considerable U.S. presence. You may qualify for a U.S. assignment with Autodesk on an L-1B visa.

to me ... it doesn't sound like he's planning for some U.S assignment while still working with his current company.
if he did, the company would have at least assisted on necessary arrangements including finding a suitable visa :-k

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Process time for Singapore Citizenship

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 2:59 pm

dynoto wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:I don't think your proposed plan or timeline is realistic.

to me ... it doesn't sound like he's planning for some U.S assignment while still working with his current company.
if he did, the company would have at least assisted on necessary arrangements including finding a suitable visa :-k

You gotta have a very open mind there and let the guy keep all his options open ;) pun intended

DerronTee

Postby DerronTee » Fri, 09 Sep 2016 3:55 pm

My application was rejected after 11 months, the service standard for ICA is ASAP-as slow as possible, that day the officer told some cases will be taken more than 2 years, can you imagine it?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Sep 2016 5:52 pm

We've been telling you all this for the past 12 months. But nobody wants to hear the cold hard truths. What to do?