Singapore Expats Forum

Electrical Outlets

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

gnaff9093

Electrical Outlets

Postby gnaff9093 » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 3:34 am

I'm from the US and moving to Singapore this summer. Would the electronics I bring with me need to be connected via a conversion device? All my devices run 110/220. Thanks!

Please, no snarky remarks.
**Glenda**

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 7:53 am

IF they are dual voltage (110-220 or 120-240), then most everything should run OK here. Clocks will run slow. Hair dryers that offer two heat ranges will only have one. TV's that are not international will not work as the signal here is PAL. This won't matter if your intention is only to run via a cablebox and HDMI. FM radios should be OK unless they are brain dead US versions that only allow odd number tenths (like 90.3) tuning.

Dual voltage printers are available and it is my experience that you won't be able to get cartridges locally for a US printer. Shipping costs will not be cheap. If you are thinking about lamps, be aware that base sizes are different and you cannot just plug in a 240 volt bulb. Odd bulbs are available but I've found it is easier to find 110 volt bulbs for 240 volt bases than the other way around.

All you will need is a plug adapter to fit UK type sockets, or the purchase of extension cords which have universal connections. Both are easy to find in Singapore.

PS: BE SURE to switch non auto switching devices to 240 volt before plugging in, lest you acquire a piece of junk that just made a 10,000 mile trip.

Snark! :cool:

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby scarbowl » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 7:26 am

This question is posted here frequently. Do not bother to bring your 110-only devices. It is NOT worth using a transformer. If you are patient, you can buy 220 from someone leaving the country.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:48 pm

I would only bring your laptop/ipad/cameras. Nothing else is really worth shipping over - esp if you have to pay the shipping.