Singapore Expats Forum

Decent haircut for men?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

AK47_UK

Decent haircut for men?

Postby AK47_UK » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 8:51 am

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any decent hairdressers or barbers for a bloke?

I've been here 6 months and tried quite a few but they usually leave my hair looking like it’s been cut at a Chinese orphanage.

Cheers!

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bluenose » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:11 am

Two barbers I use are both good...one in Jurong point shopping mall and the other in Tiong Bahru plaza called New Nada....took a while to find, but both great.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:46 am

bluenose wrote:Two barbers I use are both good...one in Jurong point shopping mall

Storm, by any chance?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

AK47_UK

Postby AK47_UK » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:03 pm

Are these places pricey?

I've tried both cheap and expensive but can never get it right. The most difficult part is trying to explain to them how to cut it!

I find here they tend to use the clippers too much and always use those thinning scissors - not that I'm an expert...

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bluenose » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 2:07 pm

They are average 10 dollars, and very good, just as good as UK barbers...I won't go anywhere else.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:29 pm

hahahaha i have the same problem on beauty salons...I asked for the layered cut and the beautician did the standard layered cut without even polishing the job.

willinsg

Postby willinsg » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:02 am

Jeric by Reds at Plaza Singapura.
Look for the Director, Keith Cheah. It's worth the wait and the bucks. Not the typical barber from UK where you'd get a shave and a good chat, but hey try something new.
Men do not differ much in intellect, only zeal and hard work.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:17 am

morenangpinay wrote:hahahaha i have the same problem on beauty salons...I asked for the layered cut and the beautician did the standard layered cut without even polishing the job.

If you ask for things the way you type in this forum, I am not surprised you would not get what you had in mind.

They are called Stylists not Beauticians.
How do you Polish a Hairstyle?

You need to be very precise here. I once left it to my stylist but said I wanted a "Wash and Go" hairstyle with an inch taken off the ends, NO thinning scissors to be used and a fringe no higher than my eyebrows. He gave me a perfect layered look.

With Men, the Hobbs at home asks for what he wants : No.1 top, No.2 side (something like that) and the stylist gets it right.

I would recommend the guys/gals at Jantzen or Reds. Not a big fan of Toni & Guys. They are way too expensive for the slack service they provide.
Just me

DazzleBabe

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:47 am

what i mean is that they dont style it according to the shape of your face. THey dont make adjustments after they layered it. Polish the look. There's something lacking in the service.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 1:34 pm

morenangpinay wrote:hahahaha i have the same problem on beauty salons...I asked for the layered cut and the beautician did the standard layered cut without even polishing the job.

Hahahaha
You're a happy little vegemite, aren't you?! Always ready for a laugh, even when someone stuffs up your hair . . . but then if you ask for a layered cut and they give you a layered cut you aren't happy . . . lol

lol
As dazzlebabe mentioned, perhaps it is the words you use . . . polish for a hair-style, flavours on a pizza . . .
lol
Nah, hahahaha, it must be the Singaporean's fault. Hahahaha
lol
Oh I also believe one of the problems westerners face is that Asian hair is different from ours . . . whereas yours is the same. Hahahaha

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 3:34 pm

It's starting to get a little bit old.......

One laughs a lot and the other, normally, can't type for sh*t?

Maybe we could give it a rest for a while and enjoy the 4th or what's left of it. :-k [-X :-|

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 05 Jul 2009 10:38 am

Belated Happy 4th!

'nuff said Image

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Postby mrdodge » Sun, 05 Jul 2009 10:25 pm

If you are on the east coast, then there is a proper barber in Parkway Parade, on the first floor just next it Isetan. $10, decent cut, no faffing about. Best I have found on this side of the iland at so far

shy_mimosa

Postby shy_mimosa » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 3:39 pm

Try 'Angel' from Headquarters Salon at Raffles Hotel. She always gives me a very nice haircut that suits my face and hair texture. A GOOD haircut is extremely important to me! :D

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 4:05 pm

I always went to Joyce at Supercuts. That is in Compass Point.