Singapore Expats Forum

Why February was chosen for leap year adjustment?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

eshan

Why February was chosen for leap year adjustment?

Postby eshan » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:54 am

Does anyone know why February was chosen for leap year adjustments and not anyother month?

Would it not have been easier to have a 0 day , between 31st Dec and 1st Jan , every 4 years ?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 1:09 pm

Now you can ease your mind......

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/leapyear.html

eshan

Postby eshan » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks but could not find any reason as to why February was chosen for it and why not any other month.

The argument is not about an extra day every 4 years.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 6:11 pm

You obviously didn't read the link I gave you. Now, go back and read at least half of the page on the link and then come back and let us know what you found out. I've already read it and therefore that's why I posted it. The answer is there. :roll:

eshan

Postby eshan » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:36 pm

You obviously didn't find the answer and probably why you are sending me into the library again saying "go find it yourself".

if you had found it, you would have cut paste the few lines that answer the question direct.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:04 pm

coz it's the lunisolar calendar.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:32 pm

eshan wrote:You obviously didn't find the answer and probably why you are sending me into the library again saying "go find it yourself".

if you had found it, you would have cut paste the few lines that answer the question direct.

I suggest you go back to that link, the answer is clearly there and I only skim read it. :shock: :roll:

HouseRocker

Postby HouseRocker » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 1:44 am

Don't quite get it also.. lol. Is it because of this statement that says ...

"By adding a leap year approximately every fourth year, the difference between the calendar and the seasons can be reduced significantly, and the calendar will align with the seasons much more accurately."?

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 3:02 am

HouseRocker wrote:Don't quite get it also.. lol. Is it because of this statement that says ...

"By adding a leap year approximately every fourth year, the difference between the calendar and the seasons can be reduced significantly, and the calendar will align with the seasons much more accurately."?

#-o [-o<

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 9:28 am

eshan wrote:You obviously didn't find the answer and probably why you are sending me into the library again saying "go find it yourself".

If everybody does all your work for you then you remain clueless. I've given you the page with the answers, it's up to you to learn. The only way people can learn is by study. Now, go back once again and try again. This time read and think. I even gave you a clue as to the general location on the page it was located. :-k

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can feed himself and family for life. I'm just trying to teach you to fish that's all. Not just spoon-feeding you information.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:54 am

This is not so easy to spot even for me, probably very difficult for everyone.

At a guess i would say its because of the vernal equinox is directly above the earths equator moving from the south to the north. This moment is the moment in time that happens in Feb and is the closest time for accuracy of what's known as spring or the beginning of a new cycle, not perfect though, but the shortest of time out of all other months of the suns movement through its celestial axis.one would need to be in the know of astrology, and or astronomy. Pisces being the last celestial month from 18th February to the 20th March.

The vernal equinox marks the coming of spring which lands on the 20th of March this year. but varies between the 19th and 20th. Although this is not the actual answer for why, I think it's maybe the longest day of the year and the beginning of a new cycle.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:56 am

Do you have an Indian IP?

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 2:05 pm

Unfortunately, it's a Singnet IP. Funny though as it only has two posters using that IP, this guy and our old friend off Base 9 fame. Guess who! :o

Would explain a lot though wouldn't it. :lol:

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 2:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can feed himself and family for life.

No, no! That's "Teach a man to fish and he'll drink beer all day."

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 2:22 pm

Yeah, I know, but I couldn't have made my point that way! :lol: