Singapore Expats Forum

Help!! Keen on studying MBA soon....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

gotta_think
Regular
Regular

Help!! Keen on studying MBA soon....

Postby gotta_think » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 7:24 am

Hi Guys,

I am hoping to take MBA soon. I am reading information over the internet to get the requirements so I could furnish the documents needed for acceptance, like taking IELTS and GMAT as one of its requirements.

Thing is, I am confused which one to take. I am into IT career now but interested on taking MBA (hopefully NUS). However, I saw a program in SMU, that offers Master of IT in Business, which seemed to be interesting as well.

These days, I realized that banking sector offers great opportunities when it comes to job placements and career growth. However, I am not sure what is in demand between the two (MBA or MS of IT in Biz).

I also read from other sites that NUS tops the list when it comes to MBA.
How do you rate SMU? Hope some of you could enlighten me on this. I would like to know your point of view.

Thanks a bunch!

Reets

Postby Reets » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 1:57 am

Hi

From my understanding SMU is fairly new but they have the image of a posh business school and do produce graduates with an edge. However, in my opinion NUS would be a better bet and they do offer some twinning programs with well known overseas universities. Good luck in your search :)

kotich

Postby kotich » Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:16 am

I have some discussion with colleagues and bosses, and yes, SMU althought new is getting attentions from the commercial world. And personally I think it's because of the UNI's association/tie ins with big banks names.. NTU and NUS are big names too within the region, but maybe good at other fields other than business.

Just my thoughts, why not think aboard? Like HKUST(HK) or CEIS(China) both can be considered the "Ivy"s in APAC region. Uni in SG doesn't even come close.

lifeiselsewhere

Postby lifeiselsewhere » Sat, 19 Jan 2008 3:24 pm

when i was researching into MBA programs, I found NUS to be more credible than SMU. SMU's very new to the post grad scene so the alumni network is also limited. NUS does require a higher GMAT score though. Good luck!
MIT - Here I come!