Singapore Expats Forum

Is SGD 115k a reasonable amount of money?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

maggie

Is SGD 115k a reasonable amount of money?

Postby maggie » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 5:21 am

Hello,
I am working in England and has been offered a job in Singapore. My GBP salary does not translate to the SGD amount. So I'm taking a pay cut of over 50%. Will SGD 115k be enough to maintain myself and my family? (I have 2 kids)

NBB

Postby NBB » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 1:07 pm

Maggie, please tell us more. Medical alowance? Accommodation allowance? What are your needs housing-wise, education-wise?

You know, taking a paycut like that is never really a good idea. Are you going to be able to go back up just as easily when you return to UK? Perhaps you should lock that into your contract.

Have a look at JP's post here. He's making some good points.

Keep in touch.

NBB

JEFF DE BRUGES

Postby JEFF DE BRUGES » Wed, 15 Sep 2004 1:23 am

According to Mercer Human consulting, for an expatriate, if New York is the standard (100), Singapore is 83.6 and London 119.

That means that any paycut of more than 30% for someone from London cannot be justified.
(119-83.6)/119.

You can download it from mercer website.

Regards,

dragonboat

Postby dragonboat » Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:21 am

Is it annual or monthly salary? If you have 115k per month, you can easily support your family. :shock:

Guest (maggie)

I wish!

Postby Guest (maggie) » Wed, 22 Sep 2004 6:48 pm

I wish I'd get 115k per month - no, it's per year

chrisso

Attention: Maggie

Postby chrisso » Fri, 24 Sep 2004 4:55 pm

Hi. Salary sounds ok to me.

Wondering if you can help. I am currently looking for a job in Singapore. I am Maltese and living with my Singapore gf here and we plan to get married and relocate to Singapore. What is teh best/easiest way to find a job in Singapore - How did you go about it.

Thanks for all your help.

Please email you answers directly to me ay mail@chris.apap.name

chrisso

Attention: Maggie

Postby chrisso » Fri, 24 Sep 2004 5:08 pm

Hi. Salary sounds ok to me.

Wondering if you can help. I am currently looking for a job in Singapore. I am Maltese and living with my Singapore gf here and we plan to get married and relocate to Singapore. What is teh best/easiest way to find a job in Singapore - How did you go about it.

Thanks for all your help.

Please email you answers directly to me ay mail@chris.apap.name