Singapore Expats Forum

First to fly A380

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

First to fly A380

Postby Scorpion » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 6:16 pm

Wonderful picture. Thot of sharing with you all.

So Singapore airline is the first to fly A380 :)

Any comments.. :cool:
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 7:36 pm

Woah... VERY nice!!! now... when will I get to sit in the plane... [sighs...]

Talk about the ups & downs of life... :)

Shadou
Regular
Regular

Postby Shadou » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 8:30 pm

Nice shot! Did you take this picture? And where was the picture taken from? Is there a bridge that allows such a vantage point? I don't recall there being one.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:40 am

Wow Scorp.....is that a real shot? Looks like it's just cruising on the highway. It's fantastic.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Aerial view

Postby Scorpion » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 2:24 am

This photo was taken offcially for the CAAS and SIA by professionals very recently.

There are 2 connecting bridges @changi airport before you reach in the terminals, they are used to pull or drive the flight from the main runway/parking area to an remote area for overhaul and maintenance.

The first bridge is near the CIAS kitchen, and the second one was built in recently to handle the A380 and the future Boeing dream liners.. before the SATS office

So the first flight was delivered just a week before the official A380 test flight landed on most of the intenational airports that handle A380 for testing..

Felt very thrilled standing next to such a huge aircraft, massive construction :)
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 9:18 am

I used to be a bit of a spotter in Holland, when living close to Amsterdam Schiphol airport. The thrill of the big machines taking off is just awesome.

Would have loved to see this one taking off from Changi...

Fantastic shot indeed scorpion!

No secret pics taken when you were so close to this predator? :D

Only holdback for me is that it is French.... Electronics is not the core of French engineering alas... :-|

Eric

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 7:49 pm

Not as good as the real thing but some might care to have a look at the following linkhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4488361.stm

Quite a sight even on video.

Plavt.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:18 pm

It's a beautiful plane but unless you are business or first class, all you have is an even larger cattle car... longer lines at check in... longer lines to board... luggage nightmare as vast quantities of cattle disgorged from the A380 stampede to the carousel.

747 is still my favorite.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 1:12 am

Strong Eagle wrote:It's a beautiful plane but unless you are business or first class, all you have is an even larger cattle car... longer lines at check in... longer lines to board... luggage nightmare as vast quantities of cattle disgorged from the A380 stampede to the carousel.

747 is still my favorite.

True there is also a real risk that a number of airports won't be able to accommodate such a plane so it will not be able to fly to some destinations.

Plavt.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 1:55 am

Fantastic shot! It looks brilliant, really it does, I love planes.

Just hope I don't fly on it...I'm sick of being the person 3/4 of the way down the jumbo getting off with two kids...and waiting til most of the crowd has got off the plane and then struggling to make my way through the crowd at the luggage thingo....not so bad in Singapore....but many other airports...hell on earth and the thought of twice as many of us there..argh!!! (OK its late and I'm tired..sorry)

zenwolf26

Postby zenwolf26 » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 2:04 am

Wow nice shoot, look forward to see more :D

=============================================
Trading Has Never Been Easier! -- AptiStock
Earn 3.0% daily | Free $10.00 SignUp | Earn 2% Daily |
Autosurf 4 $ | Up to $200 daily

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:13 am

micknlea wrote:Fantastic shot! It looks brilliant, really it does, I love planes.

Just hope I don't fly on it...I'm sick of being the person 3/4 of the way down the jumbo getting off with two kids...and waiting til most of the crowd has got off the plane and then struggling to make my way through the crowd at the luggage thingo....not so bad in Singapore....but many other airports...hell on earth and the thought of twice as many of us there..argh!!! (OK its late and I'm tired..sorry)

Can you imagine getting off in Bangkok with a full plane-load . . . They were always so deadly slow and now with their camera-technology (which none of them know how to use) it's even slower - ridiculous.

Also, so much for the land of smiles - when was the last time you had an immigration monkey say hello or welcome to you in the Land of smog and corruption?

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:19 am

All airports hosting this A380 are now going through major adjustments for being able to load and unload. A couple of weeks ago I read in the Straitstimes that special gates are being built in Changi to accomodate the load and unload of the 500 over passengers. According to what I read is that it will even go faster than the current unloading of a 747...

Eric

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 5:01 pm

Mrs Saint says this pic would have been taken after the 1st intercontinental test flight and also 1st time an A380 has left Europe. She thinks it would have arrive in Singapore on 10/11th November.

(Don't ask me how she knows all this but she does :o )

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 5:59 pm

Saint wrote:Mrs Saint says this pic would have been taken after the 1st intercontinental test flight and also 1st time an A380 has left Europe. She thinks it would have arrive in Singapore on 10/11th November.

(Don't ask me how she knows all this but she does :o )

Confirmed as I was in France on that day and it made the headlines (it landed on the 11th)

Great pics of aircrafts (including this one) on http://www.airliners.net/
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant