Singapore Expats Forum

Cambridge Languages

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

mad
Chatter
Chatter

Cambridge Languages

Postby mad » Mon, 18 Jul 2005 4:03 pm

Has anyone taken any language courses from the Cambridge School of Languages in Singapore?

Please share your experience :P

Thanks

cheers

choucream

cambridge language

Postby choucream » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 7:19 pm

Hi,

Yes I have. I took conversational Thai at Cambridge and to be honest, I didn't learn a whole lot from it. Learning material was limited to only a 'textbook' complied by the instructor (somewhat like a binded copy of handouts), and there was practically no evaluation done. It was interesting enough though, as my instructor was a humorous and engaging lady who also spoke English very well, but the course seemed too simple, unprofessional and lacked proper structure. I am guessing this was the case for me as my course was specifically a conversational one. Not sure about some other languages where they might offer a more in-depth coverage.

However, for that kind of price, you might be better off taking cheaper language classes at your neighborhood community centers. Or, if you really want to learn a language well, please go to schools where they specialize in one language. For example, there are plenty of private Japanese language schools; the Singapore Korean School where a language course is offered to non-natives; Alliance Francaise de Singapour for French; Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce for Mandarin etc. However, the variety of languages available under this option is quite limited.

The best bet is the NUS (National University of Singapore) Extension School at Park Mall, where quite a comprehensive range is offered by better qualified teachers, but course starts dates are limited. http://www.nus.edu.sg/nex/list_lllan.htm

drearywinter

Postby drearywinter » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 8:06 pm

Great tip!

Thanks for the link. I was beginning to feel intellectually stagnant, in need of new learning, new knowledge, beyond what I'm getting through my own reading. Good to know of a new resource.

Looking over the list of languages, it still seems sort of limited. In particular, anyone know of Russian courses offered locally? I know some Russian, but am forgetting it rapidly without any way to use it here or practice! (Drinking vodka and lapsing into reminiscences about Russia doesn't count, alas, though it can be a good time.) Any reputable resouces would be appreciated.

mad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby mad » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 1:21 pm

Thanks choucream ;)

mediashark

Postby mediashark » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 9:43 pm

drearywinter wrote:Great tip!

Thanks for the link. I was beginning to feel intellectually stagnant, in need of new learning, new knowledge, beyond what I'm getting through my own reading. Good to know of a new resource.

Looking over the list of languages, it still seems sort of limited. In particular, anyone know of Russian courses offered locally? I know some Russian, but am forgetting it rapidly without any way to use it here or practice! (Drinking vodka and lapsing into reminiscences about Russia doesn't count, alas, though it can be a good time.) Any reputable resouces would be appreciated.

Coleman language center has a Russian course, and also the lady who teaches there offers private lessons for $50/h. She's quite good in training the beginner.

szewee

Russian Teacher

Postby szewee » Mon, 21 Aug 2006 9:29 pm

Dear mediashark

Do u have the contact of the Russian teacher?

Thanks!

timtams
Regular
Regular

Postby timtams » Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:22 pm

So what language are you keen in learning mad? :P :wink: 8-)