Singapore Expats

Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year?

Post by BedokAmerican » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 9:02 pm

Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year? Which is more of an appropriate phrase in Singapore?

I know the holiday is called "Chinese New Year" on paper, but what about when you talk to someone?

By saying "Chinese," it seems you're assuming somebody is Chinese. If they're Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Malaysian Indian, etc., do they get offended by the phrase "Chinese New Year" or does it matter?

Just something I was wondering about.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 9:29 pm

In Singapore, the majority population is Chinese and they celebrate the lunar new year, The Holiday it gazetted as Chinese New Year so here is is perfectly permissible to call it CNY. But probably all Ethnic Chinese celebrate the lunar new year as the Chinese New Year which doesn't fall on a specific date like the western calendar. Either way will not offend anybody.

Gong Xi Fa Cai!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year?

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:11 am

BedokAmerican wrote:Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year? Which is more of an appropriate phrase in Singapore?

I know the holiday is called "Chinese New Year" on paper, but what about when you talk to someone?

By saying "Chinese," it seems you're assuming somebody is Chinese. If they're Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Malaysian Indian, etc., do they get offended by the phrase "Chinese New Year" or does it matter?

Just something I was wondering about.
One Vietnamese person was offended once when I called it Chinese New Year. Particularly since in Vietnamese culture it's just as important as Chinese and the Vietnamese tend to despise the Chinese.

Thai celebrate a different new year. Not sure on Malaysian Indians, but IME Indians that are Hindus have so many different gods they're celebrating something every other week anyway.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:47 am

Make like an American, and wish 'em 'Happy Holidays!!!'

:P