Singapore Expats

PR application - advice?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
fuel_sg

PR application - advice?

Post by fuel_sg » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:16 pm

Hi all.

First - thanks to the contributors to this very helpful forum -

Some details:

1. We are a family of four considering/planning applying for PR , have lived here since Nov 2011.
2. Wife: On EP (P1) since Feb 2012, will become Director in new company soon, +9K/month, in IT. Chinese, born in SG, but lived in US since 1988 and US citizen since 2000. When we came to SG she actually had to renounce her SG citizenship before she could apply for the EP (can't have two citizenships.. crud..). At that time we were not sure how long we'd stay here.
3. Husband: on EP (P2) since Dec 2011 and CEO/owner of startup company, 5.5K/month, in IT/project management, ang mo.
4. Kids, boy 7 in local school, 4yr old in kindergarten, both speak some Mandarin

Greatly appreciate advice on:
A) Who should be the applicant? My hunch is the wife, but will the renunciation be a big disadvantage..?
B) Are the "consultants" who help with PR applications worth the dough? If so, can you recommend someone?
C) Any other tips / advice?
Thanks all,

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:48 pm

I hope I am wrong but I think your wife stands no chance for PR. The government does not like those who renounced the citizenship. She made a very serious mistake renouncing it and I don't expect P1 will be good enough to fix anything.

fuel_sg

Post by fuel_sg » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:16 pm

x9200 wrote:I hope I am wrong but I think your wife stands no chance for PR. The government does not like those who renounced the citizenship. She made a very serious mistake renouncing it and I don't expect P1 will be good enough to fix anything.
OK, I appreciate the perspective, can you quote a source for "government does not like those who renounced the citizenship"?

After living in US since 1988, she comes to SG in 2011 - ICA ask her: which citizenship do you want to keep? On what grounds could she have said SG, without having lived here since 1988..?

Your right tho - it might be moot to apply, but thought I'd ask anyway.
Thanks again, :???:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:26 pm

The source is this very forum.
Search for both "renounced" and PR and browse some number of threads.
I.e. http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic87773.html

According to some regulars that are rather well informed, her getting EP is already surprising.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:30 pm

Did she cash in her CPF when she renounced? IF so that will need to be paid back.

I'm astonished she even has a work permit. I guess she's a uniquely qualified individual.

To get PR what you need to do is show intention to STAY in Singapore for the rest of your lives (in essence). You're not starting off on the right foot so to speak.

zip9999

Re: PR application - advice?

Post by zip9999 » Sat, 25 Jan 2014 5:41 pm

So one thing that I find somewhat confusing here is technically accepting a foreign citizenship is equivalent to giving up singaporean as the govt here doesnt accept dual. So I somewhat wonder if they viewed the recent surrender as a bit of a formality.

To answer your other questions
- my impression from this process - and I dont think this is the view of this forum but just my 2 cents - is that ica views family application very much as a package so I personally suspect its not that critical who the primary is in many cases.
- if you take time to educate urself a bit on this forum you will find that pr consultants are viewed here as a waste of money and are worth it only if you are incapable of doing the paperwork urself.
- your case obviously is tough due to recent history - ica doesnt look kindly on previous renunciations. But if you dont apply you will never know. Just I'd suggest not getting your hopes up. One advice would be to attach a letter with detailed explanation why you did what you did and why now they should overlook it. Dont assume they will just forgive it. Oh, and dont get annoyed when you get direct and honest answers here as opposed to things you'd like to hear.
Good luck!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Jan 2014 7:13 pm

zip9999, you have obviously zipped through a lot of our threads. :wink: :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zip9999

Post by zip9999 » Sat, 25 Jan 2014 8:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:zip9999, you have obviously zipped through a lot of our threads. :wink: :cool:
Dear oh dear.. I clearly did a bit too much due diligence..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Jan 2014 8:47 pm

:lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

byseeksconseil

Post by byseeksconseil » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 3:50 am

I would take the advise dispensed here (regarding PR application, etc) with a grain of salt. They are NOT privy to any insider information, however DECIDEDLY they LOVE to give their opinions, for whatever ego-boosting reasons best known to themselves. However, I don't hold any particular grudge against people on THIS forum. It is just a reality of anonymous internet communication.

However, back to your case, I am just curious why your wife had to renounce her Singapore citizenship. How on earth could Singapore ICA discover her US citizenship? Unless she once entered Singapore on a USA passport, there should be no way ICA could find out! Did she offer that information voluntarily?

fuel_sg wrote:
x9200 wrote:I hope I am wrong but I think your wife stands no chance for PR. The government does not like those who renounced the citizenship. She made a very serious mistake renouncing it and I don't expect P1 will be good enough to fix anything.
OK, I appreciate the perspective, can you quote a source for "government does not like those who renounced the citizenship"?

After living in US since 1988, she comes to SG in 2011 - ICA ask her: which citizenship do you want to keep? On what grounds could she have said SG, without having lived here since 1988..?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 5:36 am

If one has enough common sense and ability to read and comprehend basic English there is no problem to distinguish valuable information from some rubbish. But yes, there is some group of people who didn't get the response they expected and for whatever reason trying to boost some other people's expectations. Maybe they just feel better if there are more disappointed and frustrated people around. Fortunately many of such individuals give enough side symptoms already within few posts, for example, this one, expressing curiosity, why not to do something illegal, if the authorities may not be able to discover it.

fuel_sg

Post by fuel_sg » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 9:35 am

PNGMK wrote:Did she cash in her CPF when she renounced? IF so that will need to be paid back.

I'm astonished she even has a work permit. I guess she's a uniquely qualified individual.

To get PR what you need to do is show intention to STAY in Singapore for the rest of your lives (in essence). You're not starting off on the right foot so to speak.
To clarify again - she moved to the US in 1988 as a teenager, bc her parents decided to move. There was no CPF paid, cashed in, so none to pay back.

So in 2011 when we come over she has not lived in Singapore since 1988 - how could she / we know if we will like it here?

fuel_sg

Re: PR application - advice?

Post by fuel_sg » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 9:37 am

zip9999 wrote:So one thing that I find somewhat confusing here is technically accepting a foreign citizenship is equivalent to giving up singaporean as the govt here doesnt accept dual. So I somewhat wonder if they viewed the recent surrender as a bit of a formality.

To answer your other questions
- my impression from this process - and I dont think this is the view of this forum but just my 2 cents - is that ica views family application very much as a package so I personally suspect its not that critical who the primary is in many cases.
- if you take time to educate urself a bit on this forum you will find that pr consultants are viewed here as a waste of money and are worth it only if you are incapable of doing the paperwork urself.
- your case obviously is tough due to recent history - ica doesnt look kindly on previous renunciations. But if you dont apply you will never know. Just I'd suggest not getting your hopes up. One advice would be to attach a letter with detailed explanation why you did what you did and why now they should overlook it. Dont assume they will just forgive it. Oh, and dont get annoyed when you get direct and honest answers here as opposed to things you'd like to hear.
Good luck!
Great - thank you!

fuel_sg

Post by fuel_sg » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 9:48 am

byseeksconseil wrote: However, back to your case, I am just curious why your wife had to renounce her Singapore citizenship. How on earth could Singapore ICA discover her US citizenship? Unless she once entered Singapore on a USA passport, there should be no way ICA could find out! Did she offer that information voluntarily?
Bc she had not been in Singapore since 1988 as a teenager (only a few short trips), she did not carry a SG passport anymore, but carried a US passport since about 2000. So when she applied for an EP in Oct 2011 (bc in the EP application you have to state birth country etc..), the embassy says: "you are still a SG citizen, you can't get an EP as long as you are SG citizen - now, which country is it going to be?"

Thanks again,

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:48 am

byseeksconseil wrote:I would take the advise dispensed here (regarding PR application, etc) with a grain of salt. They are NOT privy to any insider information, however DECIDEDLY they LOVE to give their opinions, for whatever ego-boosting reasons best known to themselves. However, I don't hold any particular grudge against people on THIS forum. It is just a reality of anonymous internet communication.

However, back to your case, I am just curious why your wife had to renounce her Singapore citizenship. How on earth could Singapore ICA discover her US citizenship? Unless she once entered Singapore on a USA passport, there should be no way ICA could find out! Did she offer that information voluntarily?

fuel_sg wrote:

I find it funny that you come here stating that people here just like to give opinions to boost egos, then follow-up by giving an opinion that would be highly illegal in Singapore: Hiding the fact she has US Citizenship.