Singapore Expats

"Why I want to live in Singapore"

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

"Why I want to live in Singapore"

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 2:43 pm

I can't decide if this better fits under the "jokes" or "rubbish" part of the topic name:

http://levels.io/why-i-want-to-live-in-singapore/

Someone should at least tell this kid about the changes to the Entrepass, and basically that Singapore doesn't want him. (Never mind everything else wrong with the post)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 3:14 pm

He has another installment, with the link at the end of his essay. He ended up staying a night in a worker's dorm and saw that Singapore is built by cheap, usually exploited labor. Needless to say, it was a reality-slap-in-the-face.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "Why I want to live in Singapore"

Post by JR8 » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 3:23 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I can't decide if this better fits under the "jokes" or "rubbish" part of the topic name:

http://levels.io/why-i-want-to-live-in-singapore/

Someone should at least tell this kid about the changes to the Entrepass, and basically that Singapore doesn't want him. (Never mind everything else wrong with the post)
Expect it to be published in full on page 3 of The New Paper tomorrow lol ...

Viva la Singapura!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 4:45 pm

Interesting writer.... correction though - they are not ILLEGAL workers, just immigrant or guest workers... unlike the USA or Europe where I guess they would be.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 4:58 pm

The fact he thought they were illegal is testament to their treatment here, they obviously seem desperate, incredibly poor and ill-treated to him. All the signs of a stereo typical illegal worker.

There are of course illegal workers in Singapore, not sure about construction, illegally paid workers (paid more on paper than in cash to ensure that they get their pass) and there are lots of ladies on 2 week visas tapping into the economy around various bars in the city and red light areas.

But yeah, he seems a bit wet behind the ears doesn't he!?
nutnut

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 6:18 pm

Singapore where everything's fine on the surface

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 8:12 pm

After reading the article, I had a quick look at the published date, to see if its an old one.

Clearly this article is atleast 3 years behinds its time.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:00 pm

Wd40 wrote:After reading the article, I had a quick look at the published date, to see if its an old one.

Clearly this article is atleast 3 years behinds its time.
Yeah, definitely.
The fact he thought they were illegal is testament to their treatment here, they obviously seem desperate, incredibly poor and ill-treated to him. All the signs of a stereo typical illegal worker.
I read some of his other articles, like the one on Thailand and Hong kong. Suffice to say given his views naive views on many things, particularly on 'sex work' in Thailand even, him calling them 'illegal' is hardly indicative of anything.
He has another installment, with the link at the end of his essay. He ended up staying a night in a worker's dorm and saw that Singapore is built by cheap, usually exploited labor. Needless to say, it was a reality-slap-in-the-face.
Didn't see, but will go check.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "Why I want to live in Singapore"

Post by JR8 » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:51 pm

Royston8H wrote:Why not? It is safe and peaceful though you need to really have money/job to sustain a decent lifestyle here.

Spot the troll/doppel poster - from about 20 miles off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make easy millions with my 3-step program. Pull up for a chat today!