Singapore Expats Forum

My Singapore Trip to decide whether I relocate

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

ShouldBeFun
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu, 24 Oct 2013

My Singapore Trip to decide whether I relocate

Postby ShouldBeFun » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 9:03 pm

Hi All,

So I've made the trip over from the UK to decide whether to relocate to Singapore or not. I thought I'd make a quick note of my observations so far and please correct me if anything below is inaccurate.

1) At 6'1" I seem to be about a foot taller than everyone else and I just popped into a shop and couldn't find a T-Shirt that fit me! I'm quite lean as well and wear small to medium in the UK so that surprised me!

2) There seems to be a shopping mall every 500 yards in any direction I walk.

3) I like golf and had a quick peek at the course near harbourfront which in a previous post someone eluded to the fact it was expensive. It looked quite tired from what I could see so might leave the clubs back in the UK!

4) Having used the London underground for years I walked into an MRT station and I swear I could of eaten food off of the floor it was that clean in comparison. I've read comments on here about it being very busy but I found it quite relaxing compared to rush hour in London.

5) A lot of people seem allergic to walking from the office to the MRT station which is 5 minute walk and would rather wait in traffic on the bus which seemed over the top until I sweated bucket loads doing the walk :o

6) I read a lot about larger dogs not being universally accepted in Singapore but just walking to the office I saw a number of labs and retrievers much bigger than my Boxer. Only issue is all dogs must be on a lead with few dog parks but I found a decent one online in West Coast Park which I will venture down to tomorrow during lunch. Next problem to resolve this week is finding a dog sitter for when I have to go away on business.

7) I need my shorts/t-shirt outside and my skiing jacket indoors. Everywhere indoors is freezing!

8) Both myself and my employer have no idea what to do with regards to my pension! Who cares actually I'm only 31 but still feel like I'm 21 year old so I'll worry about that later...

9) There seems to be jogging everywhere, whatever the time of day/night!

10) Don't feed the monkeys.

I think I'm going to love this place :D

A colleague in the office has a relative who is an estate agent who is going to show me a range of properties on Saturday. So after I've seen some properties I'm going to make my decision.

Cheers!

User avatar
Tanuki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri, 19 Jul 2013

Re: My Singapore Trip to decide whether I relocate....

Postby Tanuki » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:50 pm

ShouldBeFun wrote:2) There seems to be a shopping mall every 500 yards in any direction I walk.

5) A lot of people seem allergic to walking from the office to the MRT station which is 5 minute walk and would rather wait in traffic on the bus which seemed over the top until I sweated bucket loads doing the walk :o

6) I read a lot about larger dogs not being universally accepted in Singapore...


I think I'm going to love this place :D

Cheers!

Hey, welcome to the island! Enjoy it here!

Yes, there are too many shopping malls and all the stores are the same. Rather dull environments but occasionally useful... :o

A lot of people ride the bus because it goes closer to their destination, not due to walking farther to get to the MRT. I rarely use the MRT myself as the buses are more convenient.

I wouldn't have a large dog here myself, just because I feel it's not a good environment for them. They usually need to run a lot, and without a car we can't easily take them to the limited off-leash areas. Plus the heat can be rough on them.

Just a couple evening thoughts. Cheers!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Re: My Singapore Trip to decide whether I relocate....

Postby AngMoG » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:56 pm

Great to hear you liked it!

Yeah, for clothing I don't know. I am a bit overweight (have to be honest there), so my only go-tos are Marks & Spencer and The Gap, and Brooks Brothers for office shirts when they're on sale. But expect problems in that area.

Some MRTs and buses can be really crowded during morning rush hour, so you may not have seen it all. That said, it's generally manageable.

Dogs are more of a problem of rental budget. Apartments generally only accept small dogs (there may be a regulation about this, not sure), and even then I think you won't find it too easy finding an apartment that accepts pets at all. For large dogs, I think you need to rent a house. Maybe somebody else can comment with some more legal facts.

For your pension, you can think about paying into your pension at home maybe. But that's something you'll have to calculate I guess.

ShouldBeFun wrote:Hi All,

So I've made the trip over from the UK to decide whether to relocate to Singapore or not. I thought I'd make a quick note of my observations so far and please correct me if anything below is inaccurate.

1) At 6'1" I seem to be about a foot taller than everyone else and I just popped into a shop and couldn't find a T-Shirt that fit me! I'm quite lean as well and wear small to medium in the UK so that surprised me!

2) There seems to be a shopping mall every 500 yards in any direction I walk.

3) I like golf and had a quick peek at the course near harbourfront which in a previous post someone eluded to the fact it was expensive. It looked quite tired from what I could see so might leave the clubs back in the UK!

4) Having used the London underground for years I walked into an MRT station and I swear I could of eaten food off of the floor it was that clean in comparison. I've read comments on here about it being very busy but I found it quite relaxing compared to rush hour in London.

5) A lot of people seem allergic to walking from the office to the MRT station which is 5 minute walk and would rather wait in traffic on the bus which seemed over the top until I sweated bucket loads doing the walk :o

6) I read a lot about larger dogs not being universally accepted in Singapore but just walking to the office I saw a number of labs and retrievers much bigger than my Boxer. Only issue is all dogs must be on a lead with few dog parks but I found a decent one online in West Coast Park which I will venture down to tomorrow during lunch. Next problem to resolve this week is finding a dog sitter for when I have to go away on business.

7) I need my shorts/t-shirt outside and my skiing jacket indoors. Everywhere indoors is freezing!

8) Both myself and my employer have no idea what to do with regards to my pension! Who cares actually I'm only 31 but still feel like I'm 21 year old so I'll worry about that later...

9) There seems to be jogging everywhere, whatever the time of day/night!

10) Don't feed the monkeys.

I think I'm going to love this place :D

A colleague in the office has a relative who is an estate agent who is going to show me a range of properties on Saturday. So after I've seen some properties I'm going to make my decision.

Cheers!

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 9:05 am

AVA has a list of dog breeds allowed/prohibited in its official website.

http://www.ava.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/2FCF9F87-1FB1-49C8-A804-0611C26E95FA/18221/SummaryofAB_DoglicensingControl_Rules_15Nov2010.pdf

List of prohibited dog breeds:
1. Pit Bull, which includes the American Pit Bull Terrier (which is also known
as the American Pit Bull and Pit Bull Terrier), American Staffordshire
Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, and crosses between
them and other breeds
2. Akita
3. Neapolitan Mastiff
4. Tosa
5. Dogo Argentino
6. Fila Brasileiro
7. Boerboe
8. Perro De Presa Canario (moved from Part II to Part 1 wef 15 Nov 2010)
9. Crosses of 1 to 8.


List of dog breeds allowed but require muzzles at all time when outside.
1. Bull Terrier
2. Doberman Pinscher
3. Rottweiler
4. German Shepherd Dog with its related breeds such as the Belgian
Shepherd Dog and the East European Shepherd Dog
5. Mastiffs, including the Bull Mastiff, Cane Corso and Dogue De Bordeaux
6. Crosses of 1 to 5.


List of dogs allowed in HDB (not sure about condos):
1 Affenpinscher 33 Maltese
2 Australian Silky Terrier 34 Manchester Terrier
3 Australian Terrier 35 Miniature Pinscher
4 Bichon Avanese 36 Miniature Schnauzer
5 Bichon Frise 37 Norfolk Terrier
6 Border Terrier 38 Norwegian Lundehund
7 Boston Terrier (Light and Middleweight) 39 Norwich Terrier
8 Bohemian Terrier 40 Papillon
9 Bolognese 41 Pekingese
10 Brussels Griffon (Griffon Bruxellois) 42 Pomeranian
11 Cairn Terrier 43 Poodle (Toy/Miniature)
12 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel 44 Pug
13 Chihuahua 45 Schipperkee
14 Chinese Crested Dog 46 Scottish Terrier
15 Chinese Imperial Chin 47 Sealyham Terrier
16 Chinese Temple Dog (Classic and Miniature) 48 Shetland Sheepdog
17 Coton de tulear 49 Shih Tzu
18 Czech Terrier 50 Silky Terrier
19 Dachshund (Light and Miniature) 51 Small Continental Spaniel
20 Dandie Dinmont Terrier 52 Small English Terrier
21 English Toy Spaniel 53 Small Spitz
22 German Hunting Terrier 54 Smooth Fox Terrier
23 Griffon Belge 55 Tibetian Spaniel
24 Griffon Brabancon 56 Toy Fox Terrier
25 Hairless Dog 57 Toy Terrier
26 Italian Greyhound 58 Volpino Italiano
27 Jack Russell Terrier 59 Welsh Terrier
28 Japanese Spaniel (Chin) 60 West Highland Terrier
29 Japanese Spitz 61 Wire Haired Fox Terrier
30 Lakeland Terrier 62 Yorkshire Terrier
31 Lhasa Apso
32 Little Lion Dog

http://www.ava.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/4A8CB066-DB48-440B-85A3-0598E1A55640/13168/Attach2doglicencelistofHDBapprovedbreeds.doc

User avatar
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013

Postby Fortan » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:08 am

What would be the consequence of having a Mastiff and going for a walk without the muzzle.... anyone know?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:22 am

Fortan wrote:What would be the consequence of having a Mastiff and going for a walk without the muzzle.... anyone know?


http://www.ava.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/2FCF9F87-1FB1-49C8-A804-0611C26E95FA/11708/ABDogLicensingandControlRules2007.pdf

Use SHIFT+F and use 'muzzle' as keyword.

Fine not exceeding $5000 for first time, and then not exceeding $10,000 for subsequent convictions.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1363
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:25 am

I would guess a fine of some sorts, this being Singapore.

Probably depends on whether it eats someone.

I think it's one of those rules which is only enforced should a problem arise. I assume that because I see a reasonable number of muzzled breeds without muzzles in ECP. Some off lead – that's probably another fine.

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Re: My Singapore Trip to decide whether I relocate....

Postby nutnut » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:57 am

ShouldBeFun wrote:A colleague in the office has a relative who is an estate agent who is going to show me a range of properties on Saturday. So after I've seen some properties I'm going to make my decision


You will soon learn, everyone knows 2-3 agents in Singapore, I wonder how many are actually agents.

I know personally 3 and I only used 1 as an agent before, the other 2 are friends who happen to be agents!

Did you notice people walking in front of you a lot?

Remember the term 'Kiasu' you will understand when you move here and live here for a while. They aren't doing it to annoy you.
nutnut

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 1:31 pm

1. Local shops, forget it. However, there's Marks, Gap, Banana Republic, Zara, Tommy Hilfiger, Brookes Brothers, etc. Basically all the shops you can find back home.
2. Shopping Malls - yeap. National hobby.
3. Golf - Singapore Island Country Club? Membership is really expensive. My colleagues here pop over to Bintan/Batam to play.
4. MRT- yeap. It does get busy during peak times but no where as packed as the tube. No where as manic or as dirty or as smelly. I dont miss Northern Line in the morning or in the evenings or the GBP90.00 per week.
5. Walking - well.
6. Dogs - no idea.
7. Yes to the clothing. I have a hoodie and a blazer at all times in the office.
8. Pension - continue paying your NI class 2. In terms of personal/company pension look at SIPPS.
9. Jogging/running - yeap

User avatar
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013

Postby Fortan » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 1:58 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:My colleagues here pop over to Bintan/Batam to play.


Caddies are supposed to be really hardworking over there - and pretty.... :shock:

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 2:26 pm

Fortan wrote:
PrimroseHill wrote:My colleagues here pop over to Bintan/Batam to play.


Caddies are supposed to be really hardworking over there - and pretty.... :shock:

and ends up on fifty shades too? :P :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35123
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 3:22 pm

Fortan wrote:What would be the consequence of having a Mastiff and going for a walk without the muzzle.... anyone know?


I reckon the dog might be confiscated and put down, considering they are on the banned list, and, therefore, shouldn't even be in Singapore.

ShouldBeFun
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu, 24 Oct 2013

Postby ShouldBeFun » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 9:00 am

Thank you for all your replies. I've got a few things to look at today and I'll reply a bit later.

ps, surprised german shepherds are banned as they are one of the most obedient dogs I know! Maybe the stereotyping of a german shepherd as a guard dog has done for it!

User avatar
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013

Postby Fortan » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:19 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fortan wrote:What would be the consequence of having a Mastiff and going for a walk without the muzzle.... anyone know?


I reckon the dog might be confiscated and put down, considering they are on the banned list, and, therefore, shouldn't even be in Singapore.

The Mastiff is not banned.... On the list of dogs that needs to wear a muzzle

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6841
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:35 am

Fortan wrote:
PrimroseHill wrote:My colleagues here pop over to Bintan/Batam to play.


Caddies are supposed to be really hardworking over there - and pretty.... :shock:


And probably do a whole lot more than caddy for the right tip.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest