Singapore Expats Forum

Anton Casey calling MRT commuters "poor people"

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:59 pm


User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 1:00 pm

nutnut wrote:Let's face it; this reaction is all due to this chap being foreign.


He's got the 5C's + Miss Singapore.

Man, that's gotta sting!




p.s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_C's_of_Singapore

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 1:10 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Local people want to see meat and blood. I do wonder how long will it take until SG officials react. :)


You reckon the govt will react? Deportation? Sling him into Changi clink?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 1:50 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:Local people want to see meat and blood. I do wonder how long will it take until SG officials react. :)


You reckon the govt will react?


They already have... at Ministerial level no less.

http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/articl ... y-incident

p.s. I expect the featured picture of the Minister speaking at the UN is an archive photo, and that the Casey-case has yet to be elevated to quite those levels.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 2:33 pm

Thats just a by and by sort of statement.
No throwing his in the clink then.
No deportation orders, a black stamp across his passport

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9288
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 2:36 pm

JR8 wrote:So if you live in SG no posting jokes, generalisations, or tongue in cheek comments on Facebook then? Do you think the FT embassies will be issuing 'travel advisories' in this regard. Should tourists in SG fear about this too? - 'When visiting Singapore, it is safest not to joke about anything'.


Chief, I meant, not just in SG, but anywhere ..

Remember the American lady who was getting posted to Africa and made a extremely tongue-in-cheek comment ?

Or closer home, even remember the Singapore girl who said something against Filipinos ?

Don't leave trace like that, for others to pounce on, if you value your hide ..

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9288
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 2:38 pm

JR8 wrote:p.s. I expect the featured picture of the Minister speaking at the UN is an archive photo, and that the Casey-case has yet to be elevated to quite those levels.


ouch .. I too was wondering for a while why the FM spoke about this issue in UN ...

:D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 3:28 pm

Technically, what can they do, aside from refusing to renew his re-entry permit or revoke his PR but at what cost to the country as more and more are convinced it would be prudent to give up their PR and get the hell out of Dodge?

I doubt anything will be done until the crybabies online continue to kick up a fuss and then they will act in knee jerk fashion just because they don't want to return to the labour market when they are voted out of office......

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9288
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 3:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Technically, what can they do, aside from refusing to renew his re-entry permit or revoke his PR but at what cost to the country as more and more are convinced it would be prudent to give up their PR and get the hell out of Dodge?

I doubt anything will be done until the crybabies online continue to kick up a fuss and then they will act in knee jerk fashion just because they don't want to return to the labour market when they are voted out of office......


meanwhile, in another country, when a foreigner said similiar stuff, their senate had an urgent discussion and passed a motion requesting the president declare the foreigner Persona-non-grata .. well, they did know their priorities - Or not ;) Unlike in SG ..

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 4:14 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Technically, what can they do, aside from refusing to renew his re-entry permit or revoke his PR but at what cost to the country as more and more are convinced it would be prudent to give up their PR and get the hell out of Dodge?

I doubt anything will be done until the crybabies online continue to kick up a fuss and then they will act in knee jerk fashion just because they don't want to return to the labour market when they are voted out of office......


meanwhile, in another country, when a foreigner said similiar stuff, their senate had an urgent discussion and passed a motion requesting the president declare the foreigner Persona-non-grata .. well, they did know their priorities - Or not ;) Unlike in SG ..


Even Dave gets involved these days with petty stuff. Or ask Clegg to get involved, he will be glad of the distraction :D

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 4:27 pm

this is a comic strip waiting to happen...its entitled irony or karma


AngMoh (Jerbs +Porsche +Ms. Singapore)>>>>>> Poor People + They took our jerbs >>>>>>Third world country (clean toilet +Ms. World)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 6:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:Chief, I meant, not just in SG, but anywhere ..
Remember the American lady who was getting posted to Africa and made a extremely tongue-in-cheek comment ?
Or closer home, even remember the Singapore girl who said something against Filipinos ?
Don't leave trace like that, for others to pounce on, if you value your hide ..


Hi Ecu,
No, alas I can't say I'm familiar with either case...
Yes perhaps here in SG it is wiser to make no reference to SG at all on your Facebook, even if your Facebook Settings are set to Private. Hey, perhaps it's wiser not to use Facebook or indeed the internet or telephony or the postal service either. Don't post a photo of yourself in Singapore, rather 'Here's me, in a place [cough] near Batam Indonesia'.

Perhaps for the comfort and safety of all potential visitors, STB should rebrand itself as Ap[c]nBITB.

After all, it wasn't that long ago (20 years) that you would be extremely cautious discussing say a political matter, in a public place, lest anyone overhear you saying 'the wrong thing'. This is little different eh, just the coffee-shop is now extended to include your on-line media.

It's all a bit (East) German.

I still don't get it, a guy has a joke (in private) about one facet of SGn life and the whole country goes into collective paroxysms of the lynch-mob. It's sort of surreal and scary at the same time. It just serves to remind me how much I am probably silently hated for being here.

'Hang him hang him!, kick him out! jail him!'... er, but what offence has he committed beyond cracking a joke on his FB page?

Jeez, talk about seeking to demonstrate to the world how thin-skinned the country is.

At one point I considered setting up permanently here (PR). I still could seek to; if anything my application would perhaps be stronger these days. But I'm lucky that 'the deal I have with home citizenship' is good enough that there is on balance no incentive for me to seek PR elsewhere.

But if it were still something in the frame, the sight of this man getting his near-term life destroyed for a perhaps vaguely injudicious wise-crack... who in their right mind would choose to move to SG and put themselves, their family, and their livelihood and future on the line? Perhaps in 3 years time society will have progressed (backwards) further and my family will be destroyed by me simply making a private joke about a poor plate of chicken rice. Who knows.

This might have given the monkeys something to chatter about for 15 minutes. But I expect it has yielded something that the FT producers of peanuts won't forget for years to come.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 12:39 am

Singaporeans are unhappy about ministers' $2,000,0000 salary. To make sure the citizens are getting their money's worth, Mr. Shanmugam has to make some kind of statement. Any statement will do :P . He just needs to show that he can feel the citizens' pain.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 9:06 am

morenangpinay wrote:this is a comic strip waiting to happen...its entitled irony or karma


AngMoh (Jerbs +Porsche +Ms. Singapore)>>>>>> Poor People + They took our jerbs >>>>>>Third world country (clean toilet +Ms. World)


and here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYl3Ov4Hhpg

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 9:39 am



  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests