Singapore Expats

Anton Casey calling MRT commuters "poor people"

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 9:52 pm

nutnut wrote:So you mean, this is Woodlands-gait?

That's one conspiracy theory
No, I don't *actually* believe that.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 9:55 pm

I am pleased to hear that ;)
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:23 pm

Well let's see how long until the scenario repeats. That said, the government here are rarely reported putting a foot wrong, so it might be quite some time...

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:53 am

I had NS guy seated next to me on bus ride. So exhausted, fell asleep and his head plomp onto my shoulder :shock: . I did not know my shoulder make such great pillow, he was sound asleep for a loooooooooooooooooong time.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 9:40 am

earthfriendly wrote:I had NS guy seated next to me on bus ride. So exhausted, fell asleep and his head plomp onto my shoulder :shock: . I did not know my shoulder make such great pillow, he was sound asleep for a loooooooooooooooooong time.
and you didn't take a photo and put it on stomp ? LOL

One of the most silliest Stomp story I saw was - an Indian looking guy and a Chinese looking guy with one fallen asleep on another's shoulder, and a stomp-post says something like "A nice example of Racial Integration .. "

That the editors of Stomp allow such silly posts .. shows a lot about their lack of monitoring ..

BTW, the Daily Mail has it now .. so Anton is really international, and per Daily Mail, he is a respected Businessman ..

Brit married to Miss Universe in Singapore mocks locals for being poor
http://dailym.ai/1imlS3z

PS: Latest grapevine (aka the troll sites) swear SPH and the likes have been served notice for using copyrighted material of the chum .. i.e. his photos which are at the center of attraction .. seems the news sites are not giving up easily and have given him more publicity ..

and a Bar has offered Wanker Special prices for beer .. never a dull moment of late, in this little Red Dot ..
Last edited by ecureilx on Thu, 23 Jan 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 9:50 am

zzm9980 wrote:
x9200 wrote:I am amazed how many regulars are concerned about what some douchebag did or had to say. I was not even aware of his existence before opening this thread.
+1

I think JR8's comment from the other thread is correct. The gahmen has a stash of hacked Facebook accounts owned by high profile and/or conspicuous foreigners. Whenever something happens they want to deflect attention from (Malaysian sneaking through Woodlands checkpoint, getting caught by the police but let go, then sneaking into MFA HQ...) they just stir up some online shit.
Or the disclosure of how much money a year the Govt pays for foreign students to come and study here.....
Life is short, paddle harder!!

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 9:56 am

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:16 am

therat wrote:The news of this whole sage spread all over UK.
UK
http...
Australia
http...
But not a whisper from any of them (or the UK Times, Telegraph, Guardian, BBC) about the SG/MFA invader.

Surprising in a way, but in others not. It's more the reaction BY SGns that is the story, rather than the story itself.

Imagine it: Pompous SGn makes snidey comments about the state of the London Underground, and the people riding it, and this becomes global news... lol!

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If the non-aircon buses weren't enough, when it rained during peak hours all the windows would steam up and if they think the MRT has a aroma during the evening peak hours, they don't know nothing!
:o
Thats London buses and tube now

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:05 am

What Stomp? It was over 2.5 decade ago. I have been living out of SG for decades.

Just forgive the guy lah. Every now and then, we all get caught in the moment and said things that we regretted later. And for someone like him, wealth can be an insulating factor and they forget how the ordinary folks live.

If I have a choice, I prefer to live in a city with well connected public transportation, rather than having to rely solely on driving.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:07 am

earthfriendly wrote:What Stomp? It was over 2.5 decade ago. I have been living out of SG for decades.

Just forgive the guy lah. Every now and then, we all get caught in the moment and said things that we regretted later. And for someone like him, wealth can be an insulating factor and they forget how the ordinary folks live.

If I have a choice, I prefer to live in a city with well connected public transportation, rather than having to rely solely on driving.
lesson repeated : say what you want, but NEVER NEVER PUT IT IN WRITING - anything you 'write' can be used against you ..

I am still curious to know if the guy found out who ratted him out to the public .. :)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:18 am

Local people want to see meat and blood. I do wonder how long will it take until SG officials react. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:08 pm

ecureilx wrote: lesson repeated : say what you want, but NEVER NEVER PUT IT IN WRITING - anything you 'write' can be used against you ..

I am still curious to know if the guy found out who ratted him out to the public .. :)
So if you live in SG no posting jokes, generalisations, or tongue in cheek comments on Facebook then? Do you think the FT embassies will be issuing 'travel advisories' in this regard. Should tourists in SG fear about this too? - 'When visiting Singapore, it is safest not to joke about anything'

Oh dear, some while back I posted a photo of a character from the neighbourhood, who dresses solely in flattened cardboard cartons. As I said back then we simply fondly referred to him as 'Box-man' (a la 'Tin-man' from the Wizard of Oz); but should I hang my head in shame?
Then I posted something on FB last week, oh dear, with a picture I took, about an old auntie with dyed dayglo pink hair. The title was something I now realise was disrespectful and inappropriate, something like... umm, well, 'Funky Auntie'. Do you think I'm safe from the baying hordes?

More seriously, something is not being accepted into the equation. When you are a small country, that to a large extent relies on importing it's Foreign Talent, by definition some of that FT is going to come along together with ego and attitude. It might be argued: 'You aren't P1 material without ego and attitude: You cannot disconnect the two'. You can't welcome in say futures pit traders, and then demand they disable their personalities, and instead comport themselves like ladies of the manor.

You can draw and require observance of some 'OB [socially acceptable] markers' like, don't criticise the government, don't break the law, don't 'stand out like the last nail waiting to be hammered down' and so on. Fair enough. But can't one make passing jokey comments even amongst Friends of Facebook?

And if that were so, should this overall matter not be clarified for the sake of current and future expats to this country? I mean who'd want to be like this guy, one snarky comment amongst Facebook Friends and <SURPRISE> he's global news, and hung out to dry. No thank you very much!

p.s. I'm reminded of being offered a relo to Burma. There would have been no internet access, so that wasn't going to work. They wanted FT, but not the standard needs that came with them. You can only remain 'One foot in the ring, and one foot out' if you wish to get ahead, for so long...

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:34 pm

Let's face it; this reaction is all due to this chap being foreign.

If he was Singaporean, there is no way this would have come this far. Brits say worse than this daily on Twitter and Facebook, it's only when they do something really stupid, like that guy who threatened to blow up an airport that anyone really cares.

However, if in the UK it was a foreigner who said something about the British, the DailyFail and the NF and BNP/UKIP/others would be all over it!

It's always about foreigners.

Why are people so scared about people who are from somewhere else? why do people feel that it gives them a right to judge/chastise them?

However, I still maintain that Anton Casey is indeed a royal c**t! but, it's not worthy of death threats and calls for him to move somewhere else!
nutnut

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:54 pm

Probably they will start looking now for other foreigners like this one. Anticipating episode 2, 3, 4, ... :)