Singapore Expats Forum

Why do they want medical checkup for S pass renewal?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
bobypf
Regular
Regular
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu, 18 Nov 2010

Why do they want medical checkup for S pass renewal?

Postby bobypf » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 1:17 pm

Hi, all.

I thought they do this only for the initial application. Today my HR gave me this together with the in-principle approval letter and told me that I also need to go for this medical checkup again.

I asked a colleague who got his EP renewed last year and he said that he didn't have to go for checkup.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 1:50 pm

Yup sad stereotype, only EP holders are not required to undergo medical check up for renewal. Every S Pass holder I know had to do medical check-up too.

They just want to make sure you didn't contract HIV and TB throughout your 2-year stint here.

:-|

User avatar
bobypf
Regular
Regular
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu, 18 Nov 2010

Postby bobypf » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 1:53 pm

the lynx wrote:Yup sad stereotype, only EP holders are not required to undergo medical check up for renewal. Every S Pass holder I know had to do medical check-up too.

They just want to make sure you didn't contract HIV and TB throughout your 2-year stint here.

:-|


Oh I see. So that means that they unofficially admit that we - S pass holders - fcuk more and less safe than the upper-class EP dudes? This is an interesting conclusion.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2012
Location: Serangoon

Postby Akimbo » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 12:49 pm

Even though the EPass holders most likely earn more than SPass holders and more "money to burn"?...yeah, sounds legit... :p
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri, 27 Mar 2009

Postby BoroBoy » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 5:02 am

most guys that I know who visit Orchard Towers on a weekly basis are EP holders...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34339
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 7:05 am

It would stand to reason that more S & WP holders come from 3rd world countries where TB is still a problem compared with developed countries, who, when they come here are generally EPs.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9521
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It would stand to reason that more S & WP holders come from 3rd world countries where TB is still a problem compared with developed countries, who, when they come here are generally EPs.


You are right, from what I know ..it's about TB etc. not being brought in here, not about being contracted in SG .. not about treated the low paid workers bad ..

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1850
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:57 am

It's discrimination due to the fact S Pass Holders are poor and they think you are diseased.

Does that sound hypocritical to you?

*Allegedly**
nutnut

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9521
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 12:34 pm

nutnut wrote:It's discrimination due to the fact S Pass Holders are poor and they think you are diseased.

Does that sound hypocritical to you?

*Allegedly**


well, when S Pass was started, they were issued in the Tanjong Pagar Distripark area unit of MOM - along with work permits/FDW passes, and S Pass has now become sort of a step-up for those who fail to get Work Permit -

On your point of you, you see those who got downgraded from EP to S Pass, whereas MOM maybe still seeing it as closely associated with Work Permit that EP ..

it is about where majority of the Work Permit holders come from - they have enough TB cases from those countries.. same goes for a fair number of maids ..

And recently a friend's sister was denied a S Pass due to TB Scars, though the agent in her country was aghast that Singapore is discriminating just for having scars ..

Well, SG rules are so ..

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Jan 2014 2:48 pm

BoroBoy wrote:most guys that I know who visit Orchard Towers on a weekly basis are EP holders...


And more S-Pass and work pass holders visit the street walkers in Geylang. Which do you think is the bigger tramistter of HIV and other STDs, the $100-300, 1-3 customer per night OT girls, or the $20+ 20+ Customer per day/night/whenever street walkers in Geylang?

handara85
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 16 Jun 2015

Re: Why do they want medical checkup for S pass renewal?

Postby handara85 » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 7:04 pm

is it true that ep renewal does not require medcheck?

thanks

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9521
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Why do they want medical checkup for S pass renewal?

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 8:07 pm

handara85 wrote:is it true that ep renewal does not require medcheck?

thanks


if you did do Medical check up for EP initial approval, you may be asked ..

And what's your concern anyway ???

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Why do they want medical checkup for S pass renewal?

Postby the lynx » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 8:29 am

Depends. Sometimes you are required, sometimes you aren't. They will tell you after your EP renewal is approved.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests