Singapore Expats Forum

Ukraine is f#cked!!!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:08 am

"Ukraine has suffered so much. We've lost so many people to war and famines and historical events. Almost seven million Ukrainians were killed in World War II, more than any other country. We don't need much in this country. We're not an imperialistic people. We aren't very warlike. Our land is covered with black soil, so we can grow everything we need. We just need peace."

(Baryshivka, Ukraine)

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 6:56 am

Unfortunately peace is not enough. Wise and country devoted, uncorrupted rulers are even more essential especially if your direct neighbor is Russia. Being a former Soviet republic is a huge burden interfering with the right way of doing many things.

eycoin

Postby eycoin » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:29 am

agreed with that...

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 8:02 pm

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... -greenback

Indeed as per the title of this thread.

nakatago

Re: Ukraine is f#cked!!!!

Postby nakatago » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 6:54 am

I did not fact check but pretty cool if verified:

Canadian minister on Putin offering a handshake: "I guess I'll shake your hand but I have one thing to say to you--get out of Ukraine."

x9200

Postby x9200 » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 8:07 am

nakatago wrote:I did not fact check but pretty cool if verified:

Canadian minister on Putin offering a handshake: "I guess I'll shake your hand but I have one thing to say to you--get out of Ukraine."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-1 ... aine-.html
“I guess I’ll shake your hand but I have only one thing to say to you: you need to get out of Ukraine,” Harper told Putin, the prime minister’s spokesman Jason MacDonald said in an e-mail.

Canada is IMO the only country acting right way and right from the start in this crisis.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 3:26 pm

Sergei, I thought about you when I saw & read this. I imagine this may be how you feel on occasion but the opposite?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/16/magaz ... mc_id&_r=0

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Postby Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:02 pm

I do feel like this time as well Ukrainians were unlucky with president (unfortunately, we didn't have much choice). Uncertainty is killing everybody - business doesn't work, people don't know whether to stay in war zone or run (my parents) - very frustrating. Either we declare liberation war and do our best (the world will definitely be on our side), or we surrender, allow Russia to take everything it wants and hope to live with what's left. Both are certainties, 2nd one being a horrible one, but still - if our president remains indecisive for too long, this will cost wasted for nothing lives and devastated economy beyond recovery.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 6:13 am

Sergei, how many people in the areas occupied by the so called separatists support them and the two republics (LPR and DPR) willingly?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 9:52 pm

x9200 wrote:Sergei, how many people in the areas occupied by the so called separatists support them and the two republics (LPR and DPR) willingly?

Dunno any, except my bedridden demented 80+ yo granma (she watches TV all the time, Russians blocked all Ukrainian channels and show only their news there). All people from there I ever I knew hate whole Russia from now and forever. But I heard from some people that they know both pro-Ukrainian and pro-Russian "natives". Those people who know both happen to be Russians themselves - all as one. Where they managed to find those "native supporters", I have no idea. All of my former friends and colleagues by some "coincidence" happen to be radically against Russia.

Oh... my moronic elder cousin who decided to use "shelter" in Russia - he is just dumb, nothing else, he is not fighting against anything or for something. He said he doesn't support anyone, and against both parties, so he moved to "whomever gave him something, away from bombing". Away from bombing... to those who bombed, without even trying to settle in Ukraine away from war zone. I stopped all contacts with this idiot and will never contact him in my life. He was exiled to Sakhalin and refused right of free relocation within Russia - earns some pennies at construction site now (had job in Ukraine). Also he told me that "Europe doesn't need us" - typical Russian propaganda (West doesn't need Ukraine, only mother Russia needs her own "daughter" country which went astray).

And phrase "Europe doesn't need us" is the key phrase here - mentality of a typical person who grew up in USSR. Somebody needs to give! The one who gives is a good guy, others - bad guys. It is not that Ukraine needs Europe itself to use European values as a benchmark to rebuild itself into a better country - that is too complicated. Simpler: somebody needs to come and give, that will be a good guy.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 03 Feb 2015 12:54 pm

US going to send "defensive weapons" to Ukraine!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31104979
Life is short, paddle harder!!