Singapore Expats

Ukraine is f#cked!!!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 2:43 pm

Wd40 wrote:
So once Putin tastes success with Crimea, he isnt going to stop there. He will try more adventures and then the west will eventually be dragged into a war, even if they cant afford it. The world economy is going to be screwed.

Its funny when there were talks about US strike on Syria, the world markets had crashed on that day. Whats happening currently has a potentially to really blow up, yet markets are ignoring it.
you are equating Putin with the likes of former soviet leaders who ventured into Afghanistan and Angola and the likes ... is that right?

why did Putin show interest in Crimea and not the rest? figure that out

no offense to Ukrainians, but other than Antonov planes can't recall what can cause stock markets to be jittery ...

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 3:06 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
So once Putin tastes success with Crimea, he isnt going to stop there. He will try more adventures and then the west will eventually be dragged into a war, even if they cant afford it. The world economy is going to be screwed.

Its funny when there were talks about US strike on Syria, the world markets had crashed on that day. Whats happening currently has a potentially to really blow up, yet markets are ignoring it.
you are equating Putin with the likes of former soviet leaders who ventured into Afghanistan and Angola and the likes ... is that right?

why did Putin show interest in Crimea and not the rest? figure that out

no offense to Ukrainians, but other than Antonov planes can't recall what can cause stock markets to be jittery ...
He showed interest to the whole Ukraine. Massive Russian propaganda is there at South-East now. During strike in Kharkov and capturing the flag of Russian Federation was put on city parliament's building by Russian citizen from Moscow, who bragged with it later on tv. A lot of people in my city are rampaging and beating citizens if they see anything that reminds Ukrainian symbolic. Nobody knows who they are, some detained by police are in fact appear to be Russian citizens. There is notorious group of Russians who already spotted in 3 cities introducing themselves as locals and saying how horribly pursued they are by Ukrainian "nazis" (?) for speaking Russian (same faces - their photos are already public). Very hard for demoralized police force to handle all this.

And so far while there are no sanctions against Russia the stock market will remain more or less calm.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 7:11 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yes you should be loyal to your country. But what if another country has acquired your country? Shouldn't you then logically become loyal to your new country?
Thank God men like you did not prevail else India would still not be an independent nation.
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 7:28 pm

pisceangirl wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Yes you should be loyal to your country. But what if another country has acquired your country? Shouldn't you then logically become loyal to your new country?
Thank God men like you did not prevail else India would still not be an independent nation.
I'm afraid men justifying raping in India have similar way of thinking to his.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 7:34 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
pisceangirl wrote:
I'm afraid men justifying raping in India have similar way of thinking to his.
I'm afraid you are right.
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 7:37 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Nobody knows who they are, some detained by police are in fact appear to be Russian citizens. There is notorious group of Russians who already spotted in 3 cities introducing themselves as locals and saying how horribly pursued they are by Ukrainian "nazis" (?)
There is a tremendous flood of pro-Russian cyber-propaganda going on in Poland at this moment. Practically all major newspaper encounter up to 80% of pro-Russian comments under some articles concerning Ukraine coming from some anonymous servers all around the world.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 8:16 pm

Yes, it is not easy for me to read something like:
"You're filthy animals, you don't understand that we are helping you!"
"You're not worth to have your own country if you can't join the Great Russia like Belarus did!"
and a lot of stuff like we sold ourselves to US, Putin comes to help us etc etc

Especially touching when I read something like "Donetsk is with Great Russia! Brother Slav are united!" etc etc (as if it is me or anyone I know who ever thought like that; in fact, I do not have a single friend from East of Ukraine who supports Russia, except one Crimean guy whos says everyone should go to hell and WW3 should break out)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 8:35 pm

Russia moved additional new forces through Ukrainian borders - fresh report from border guards. "Unidentified green people" blocked Ukrainian border guards at ferry crossing "Crimea". 15 trucks without number plates dashed into peninsula (with one fuel carrier and one communication truck). After a while another group of vehicles (10 trucks, 5 "tigers" and 1 ambulance) dashed into Crimea.

I wonder, how long our moronic government will just watch our country being taken away and simply wipe their snots doing nothing? Every minute Crimean peninsula becomes more of Russian fortress, which will be the base to invade Ukraine!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 8:44 pm

This today's article recaps the events pretty well:
http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/ ... kraine-end

Ukraine
The end of the beginning?

[quote]“I never asked whether I was ethnically Ukrainian or Russian,”

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 9:19 pm

Friday:

Russian troops reported on move again in Crimea

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/08/3 ... orylink=cp

This is how they "fortify" the sea:
A Ukrainian Navy officer looks at the scuttled, decommissioned Russian vessel Ochakov from the Black Sea shore outside the town of Myrnyi, Ukraine, on March 6. In the early hours of the day, Russian naval personnel scuttled the ship, blockading access for five Ukrainian Naval vessels now trapped inside of the Southern Naval Headquarters.
This was my city just yesterday:
Demonstrators break a police barrier as they storm a regional administrative building in Donetsk on March 5.
Also:
Ukrainian troops watch as a Russian navy ship blocks the entrance of the Ukrainian navy base in Sevastopol on March 4.
Here Ukrainian soldiers used USSR flag marching towards Russians to show that we were one country once:
Ukrainian military members march at the Belbek air base on March 4.
Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/08/world ... ne-crisis/

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 10:21 pm

Poland evacuates its consulate from Sevastopol due to actions by Russian forces
http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine ... 38803.html

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:10 pm

It happened! In-land invasion!
http://un.ua/eng/article/497094.html
Russian military forces came into the territory of the village of Chonhar (Kherson region).
Ukrainian News learned this from representatives of the village council during a phone call.
"The military men planted mines, drill holes for boundary pillars," the representatives said.
According to their words, local citizens planted national flags of Ukraine on their houses as a sign of protest.
Population of Chonhar amounts to 1,500 citizens.
As Ukrainian News earlier reported, on Saturday, Russian forces entered the Arabat Spit in Kherson region.
Actually I thought planting mines is against international law since WWII after so many people were dying for decades on mines planted at that time... just sharing thoughts, cuz actually everything Russia is doing now is against all international laws.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:47 pm

Just entered Simferopol (capital of Crimea) - 70 vehicles! No number plates. Local people defense (in economically poor Crimean peninsula) according to Russian officials - Russia has nothing todo with it as if.

They also attacked now radio technical outpost in Sevastopol and destroyed it. This outpost was used to monitor situation at the sea.

OSCE observers were stopped at Isthmus of Perekop for the 3rd time. "People defense" were shooting in the air.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:16 am

Lviv has urgently started military preparations.

Somebody is rolling put anti-aircraft missiles near Donetsk. They don't identify themselves, but most likely those are ours, Ukrainian. During Russo-Georgian war in 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia%E2%80%93Georgia_war) they successfully destroyed a few Russian airplanes.

If we don't win, at least we don't live in shame!
As Putin's former adviser Andrey Illarionov said on Ukrainian TV: "Unfortunately, Ukraine has two choices now: war or shame. If you choose shame, you will get war as well" (and this guy is against war)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:30 am

pisceangirl wrote:
Depends on what your definition of nation is. Before the British came and colonized the territory of what is now called as "India", there were plenty of Independent Kingdoms. When the British got tired of ruling and decided to grant independence thats when all the kingdoms were forcefully joined to combine into India. There isn't much reasoning as why the southern states of India are part of India inspite of them being so diverse from the rest of India and so similar to Srilanka and yet Srilanka didn't form a part of India only because Ceylon was never made a part of British India.

Goa was under Portuguese rule until 1961 and India sent force to annex Goa from the Portuguese and the reasoning for that is not very different from the reasoning that Putin has for occupying Crimea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_India ... ion_of_Goa

There are plenty of Goans I know, who consider themselves as portuguese and Goans have this special provision to get a Portuguese passport and everyday there are 6 Goans who are converting to Portuguese

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 959211.cms

So what do you say about this? Did India do the right thing or the wrong thing?

Argentina inspired by this tried to do something similar. They tried to take Falklands from Britain. But Britain was no Portugal to sit quietly and watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War