Singapore Expats

Canada shows the way (or seem to show the way .. )

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Canada shows the way (or seem to show the way .. )

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:34 am

Canada urged to cut consular services for dual citizens

http://tinyurl.com/pa7bkfs

Snippet ..

Ottawa (AFP) - The government has been urged to limit consular services for dual citizens who travel on a foreign passport or who live outside of Canada for prolonged periods, a report said Tuesday.

The proposal was described in briefing books prepared for Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird and Trade Minister Ed Fast, and cited by the daily Globe and Mail.

And then a friend asked 'how about those holding dual citizenship, but living in a third country ?? :roll: :roll:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 1:01 pm

"Recent (international) crises have highlighted that many Canadian passport holders have limited connection to Canada (and) are seen by some as maintaining a 'citizenship of convenience,'" the document was quoted as saying.
Oh you don't say?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 1:32 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
"Recent (international) crises have highlighted that many Canadian passport holders have limited connection to Canada (and) are seen by some as maintaining a 'citizenship of convenience,'" the document was quoted as saying.
Oh you don't say?
well, I know a Canadian who goes home for medical / serious medical stuff .. etc. etc. :)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 2:09 pm

Is medical stuff cheaper in Canada???

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 2:10 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Is medical stuff cheaper in Canada???
It is the other way round.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 2:25 pm

the lynx wrote:
i was told they go there since it is all on the house .. vs .. say Singapore .. even subsidised medical burns a bit hole in your pocket ..

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 2:30 pm

Having lived somewhere where ante natal advice boiled down to "only think happy thoughts or your child will be deformed" I can understand why lots of people go home for medical if they can.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 4:04 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:
i was told they go there since it is all on the house .. vs .. say Singapore .. even subsidised medical burns a bit hole in your pocket ..
What do they do, swim? Airfare isn't free, so it must be a significant medical event if they're flying back and forth for it.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 4:13 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote: It is the other way round.
What do they do, swim? Airfare isn't free, so it must be a significant medical event if they're flying back and forth for it.
cost to fly there for a bypass and back ? well, I guess it was still worth it for one guy I know .. or knew, bless his soul ..

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 8:11 pm

Medical isn't free in Canada if you're not a resident.

But..Canada does have a very large number of Chinese, and other, passport holders who only lived there long enough to get citizenship and then left for greener pastures (from a money making and tax paying perspective). Suspect that's who they're going after though I don't really see how this vague directive will make any difference.

And really (and I can say this as I am a canuck), if Canada was more competitive they would stay and build their businesses there. But for a savvy Hong Kong Chinese - it's a good place to send the kids to go school and to buy a house for retirement and that's about it.

Canada has given away citizenships for free for a long time now....small population, vast geography and the need for workers. And that annoying sense of democracy and equality that gets in the way of more draconian measures a la Singapore. :D

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 8:17 pm

I bet, though, a lot of Chinese/HK dual passport holders have figured out how to game the system such that they're resident just long enough (6 months I think) to be eligable for medical. LOL.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 1:48 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Oh you don't say?
What about folks like me? Born on Canadian soil to Canadian citizens who hasn't been back in decades... what about that?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Canada shows the way (or seem to show the way .. )

Post by JR8 » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 8:29 am

ecureilx wrote:Ottawa (AFP) - The government has been urged to limit consular services for dual citizens who travel on a foreign passport or who live outside of Canada for prolonged periods, a report said Tuesday.
What a strange idea, granting citizenship by the 'boatload' but then sort of downgrading it's value for some - 'Canadian citizen, 2nd class'. Do you think they will have two kinds of passports/id's?

A Canadian tourist in trouble calls the nearest embassy:
'Hi, I need your help, I've been robbed and had my wallet and passport stolen!'

Embassy:
'I see, and what class of citizen are you?'

Perhaps instead Canada should stand by the obligations it has made for itself, and instead stop issuing 'citizenships of convenience' in the future?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 8:34 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Oh you don't say?
What about folks like me? Born on Canadian soil to Canadian citizens who hasn't been back in decades... what about that?
I suspect you're the exception. It's a tough situation Canada is in, as the only solution is to create two tiers of citizenship when really being a citizen should imply full equality. I don't know what I'd do for a situation like yours. In retrospect, I'd have been tougher on citizenship seekers.

The article specifically highlighted dual-Canadian and Middle Eastern citizens who were relying on the Canadian government for an escape card when the shit hit the fan in places like Lebanon. If that's their only concern, then just make a (universally applying) law that states any type of extraction from foreign countries must be repaid by the citizen, X% credit given towards that bill per C$10k paid in taxes. So if you've been there long enough to pay at least $100k in taxes, you're 100% covered. Adjust that 10k figure as appropriate to ensure the citizens you're covering have actually lived and worked in Canada the appropriate number of years that you feel they've contributed.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Canada shows the way (or seem to show the way .. )

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 8:34 am

JR8 wrote: Perhaps instead Canada should stand by the obligations it has made for itself, and instead stop issuing 'citizenships of convenience' in the future?
Yeah, basically.