Singapore Expats Forum

Extension of STVP rejected for indian parents

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pappuu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 17 Jan 2014

Extension of STVP rejected for indian parents

Postby pappuu » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 6:08 pm

I am an Indian national with EP2 working at a govt research institute for more than a year. My wife is a DP holder. My retired parents came 3 weeks ago and got 30 day short term visit pass (STVP) although they had 2 year visa. I applied for 30 day extension but it got rejected without giving any reason.

Could you suggest any solution rather than flying back? I realised that new application can't be made by sponsorship from a citizen or PR. They do not have Malaysian visa. Thank you.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 6:25 pm

The 2 year visa is a multiple entry with a maximum of 30 days per entry. They will have to leave the country, no choice. If the renewal has been rejected once, then trying the trick of going to Malaysia, even if you had the visa, is very risky. They will know immediately what you are trying to do.

pappuu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 17 Jan 2014

Postby pappuu » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 11:15 pm

Wd40 wrote:The 2 year visa is a multiple entry with a maximum of 30 days per entry. They will have to leave the country, no choice. If the renewal has been rejected once, then trying the trick of going to Malaysia, even if you had the visa, is very risky. They will know immediately what you are trying to do.


Will an appeal with citizen at ICA be useful?

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:02 am

Probably not.
Which good reason do you have to question ICA's decision and ask to be treated differently from everybody else?

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Postby FaeLLe » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:01 am

pappuu you have almost no options left.

Send them back and get an LTVP for parents like most of us have and bring them back if you wish.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 6:42 am

They cannot. They are only holding P2 EPs. My suggestion is, if you cannot live without your parents, give up your jobs here and move back to India. You are not likely going to get any sympathy from ICA when their directive is aimed at reducing collateral damage to the population loading in Singapore. That's why you can no longer bring in Parents or In-laws if holding less than a P1 Visa. Even P1 visa holder are limited to only the P1 Visa holder's Parents and not the trailing spouse's parent.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 9:31 am

Agreed. That's the rule. Sorry that you're in this situation. They will have to make do with what they have.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Postby FaeLLe » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:43 pm

Yep, if you cannot live without your parents or you want them to be close and stay as often as required then let your employer know you will be quitting unless upgraded to meet pay requirements of a EP P1.

Either they will promote or hike your pay or you can get the boot ;)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:49 pm

Even Australia, lets Indians on tourist visa stay for 3 months per entry. You know which country you should target next ;)

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Postby FaeLLe » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:54 pm

UK lets you stay for 6 months multiple entry (least duration visa issued).

But given the immigration crackdown its getting really hard for people to migrate there.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 1:11 pm

FaeLLe wrote:UK lets you stay for 6 months multiple entry (least duration visa issued).

But given the immigration crackdown its getting really hard for people to migrate there.


Is it 6 months of continuous stay? I doubt so. Australia has given us 1 year multiple entry with 3 months continuous stay per entry. We are going there for just 5 days to visit Sydney. But 3 months is good enough for someone to go there and look for a job or if you want your parents to visit you, 3 months is much better than 1 month.

I agree its getting hard in most places for immigration. But, now Singapore too is right up there in terms of getting residency. Atleast in other countries you spend like 5-7 years you have a higher chance of getting residency. In case of Singapore, if you are not the desired race, then you may never get residency here forever.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Postby FaeLLe » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 1:17 pm

Wd40 wrote:Is it 6 months of continuous stay?


100% you can enter and stay for 6 months without needing to leave even once.

Of course if you do visa runs they can refuse you entry and you get stranded with a bad immigration record.

Wd40 wrote:I agree its getting hard in most places for immigration. But, now Singapore too is right up there in terms of getting residency. Atleast in other countries you spend like 5-7 years you have a higher chance of getting residency. In case of Singapore, if you are not the desired race, then you may never get residency here forever.


Thats the best part of mature or first world economies, there is a defined path, policy and guidelines to settlement.

Something we need to happen (transparency) if we ever expect to match up as a first world country and stop being an emerging economy (which technically we are not now).

pappuu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 17 Jan 2014

Quick update - extension approved

Postby pappuu » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:25 pm

I think the people in the forum have become pessimistic. My parents got one month extension by sponsorship from a citizen.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Re: Quick update - extension approved

Postby FaeLLe » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:43 pm

pappuu wrote:I think the people in the forum have become pessimistic. My parents got one month extension by sponsorship from a citizen.


People here are just trying to guide you on what is the correct thing to do.

Try this - send them back, bring them again after few months and do another failed renewal and take another Singaporean citizen to apply for a renewal.

Might work again, try it a third time, fourth time.... you are surely setting off alarm bells.

On a SVP the only guarantee you get is 30 days each visit, anything else and you got lucky or gahmen did you a favour.

pappuu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 17 Jan 2014

Re: Quick update - extension approved

Postby pappuu » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:23 am

FaeLLe wrote:
pappuu wrote:I think the people in the forum have become pessimistic. My parents got one month extension by sponsorship from a citizen.


People here are just trying to guide you on what is the correct thing to do.

Try this - send them back, bring them again after few months and do another failed renewal and take another Singaporean citizen to apply for a renewal.

Might work again, try it a third time, fourth time.... you are surely setting off alarm bells.

On a SVP the only guarantee you get is 30 days each visit, anything else and you got lucky or gahmen did you a favour.


Thanks. An Indian guy with EP2 said that his parents got 6 months visa when they entered Singapore. I wonder if it is true.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests