Singapore Expats

Racial zoning

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Racial zoning

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 2:24 pm

'HDB implements quotas for rental flats for non-citizens (17 Jan – BT, ST)'
The Housing Development Board (HDB) has announced changes in regulations on sub-letting whole HDB flats to non-citizen individuals (overseas nationals and permanent residents, excluding Malaysian nationals). Under the new guidelines, in each HDB neighbourhood, only 8% of the total number of flats is eligible to be sub-let, while in each HDB block, it is limited to 11%.
--------------------

One guess what racial group this is aimed at.
South Africa and Zimbabwe come to mind...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 2:26 pm

While I "should" sigh in relief that Malaysians are excluded, I shudder at the whole idea.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 2:31 pm

Its aimed at Indians in Tampines and Simei :cry:

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 2:35 pm

Here is the full text:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10296p.nsf ... enDocument

So now, even after you find a house, there is no guarantee that HDB will approve the lease? My house comes for renewal in Oct this year. Its time to now, finally say bye-bye to Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 2:39 pm

'Under the new guidelines, in each HDB neighbourhood, only 5% of the total number of flats of eligible residences in 'permitted' blocks are accessible by people who might not vote for the PAP, while in each neighbourhood, it is limited to 10%.'

Government spokesman Dr. Pap said, 'Well Actually'.

[Cough] 'Well, ectually, this is not the case and you are misguided. It is not that we wish to avoid racial clustering, more that we want the Chinese to remain in power for ever.
Last edited by JR8 on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 3:05 pm

Which, considering that EP and PR holders cannot vote for the PAP or any other party, kind of blows that theory out of the water.........
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 3:14 pm

But it would be preferred if all those of a Sub-Continental persuasion, piped down, held no opinions, and were all indoors before sunset.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 3:16 pm

Of course Indians will cluster at Tampines and Simei - Changi Business Park is near! How can you clutch testicles in businesses situated in Changi Business Park? All major banks are there!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 3:26 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Of course Indians will cluster at Tampines and Simei - Changi Business Park is near! How can you clutch testicles in businesses situated in Changi Business Park? All major banks are there!
Exactly. Peak hour when a train reaches expo MRT just look at the crowd, you will think its Mumbai, Bangalore or Delhi :)

May be they should have quotas on trains, offices, everywhere, to ensure the Singapore character is maintained at all times, :lol:

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 3:52 pm

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10296p.nsf ... enDocument

Less than 4% of HDB flats are sublet to foreigners, excluding Malaysians. However, the proportion could go up to 9% in some areas, or even 18% in some blocks.
I already see a discrepancy here. The above quota talks only about foreigners. But this policy applies to PRs as well. So if you include PRs, then the % of HDB flats rented out to PR+Foreigners is much more than 4%?

I see big trouble.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 4:37 pm

Wd40 wrote:http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10296p.nsf ... enDocument

Less than 4% of HDB flats are sublet to foreigners, excluding Malaysians. However, the proportion could go up to 9% in some areas, or even 18% in some blocks.
I already see a discrepancy here. The above quota talks only about foreigners. But this policy applies to PRs as well. So if you include PRs, then the % of HDB flats rented out to PR+Foreigners is much more than 4%?

I see big trouble.
I'm more curious what the percentage is of citizens renting HDB whole HDB units. Seems really non-intuitive, as I imagine most citizens renting would be younger doing room shares in condos, or subletting a single room.

I can't wait to see the tool that shows the percentages of foreigners in various areas. Landlords in estates with a lot of foreigners renting (Tampines, Marine Parade, Pasir Ris, etc) will be getting golden tickets when HDB approves their unit to rent to a foreigner.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 4:43 pm

The tool is already up. My bad.

Two interesting things:

1) Just one tenant being a foreigner subjects you to this. So SC and PRC wife follow the quota.

2) Already where I live in Marine Parade, six blocks that all have full or mostly full sea views (fair amount of ang moh rent here):

30 You can rent a flat in this block.
31 You can rent a flat in this block.
32 You are not eligible to rent a flat in this block.
33 You can rent a flat in this block.
34 You are not eligible to rent a flat in this block.
35 You are not eligible to rent a flat in this block.

So half and half.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:00 pm

F###C#K... my block still can! Phew... I hope, this remains the case in February 2015.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:06 pm

Phew.... all of the blocks within my area are OK. For now.

This is very scary. So those who are unlucky have to either live far away or live in a private apartment?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:18 pm

I think the plan is to ensure everybody gets a cut of rental income, so those working in Changi - be ready to head to Woodlands .. and those working in Jurong Island, be ready to .. maybe head to Woodlands ?

While a few citizens maybe rejoicing since Foreigners may come begging to rent in their area, a few are maybe groaning at the possibility of their quota being filled, and some more - maybe rejoicing doubly at the possiblity of jacking up rental, since they will consider it a privilege for foreigners to rent from them

WD40: you are being a bit harsh on Indians - there are a lot of Filipinos out of CBP and the areas there, staying in Sengkang / Tampines -

And don't forget, most hospital nurses, in their low salary, tend to share an apartment for more people - a 3 bedroom normally is like 9 or 10 .. and they don't have a choice since the shifts starting at like 7 AM or 11 PM and the likes make it impossible to stay far, as they prefer walk to work - so not too far from whichever hospital they work ...

Now, when the rental goes up, I am sure they will have to move far away, and you will have half sleepy nurses having travelled an hour to work .. I am just wondering .. just for hospitals, how that will pan out ..

Return to “General Discussions”