Singapore Expats

Racial zoning

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:21 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I think hdb should be non-rentable full stop. It's underwritten housing not a chance to line your pockets. Live in it or sell it. But reading that, it's just racist. Disappointing.

I was also under the impression you loved Singapore, JR8. I thought you were here from active choice.
There simply isn't enough housing on the island for all of the foreigners (2 of the ~5 million!) if you remove HDBs from the rental pool.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:23 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:
Hubby is of different ethnicity/race and nationality than me. I wonder how this racial quotas will be implemented for inter-racial couples.
As long as one non Singaporean or non-Malaysian is in the unit, it is subject to the quota. Kinda sh1tty for families like yours.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:24 pm

There would be if you banned Singaporeans from living anywhere but HDB. Y'know, to preserve the heartlands.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:25 pm

Hannieroo wrote:There would be if you banned Singaporeans from living anywhere but HDB. Y'know, to preserve the heartlands.
Sure, I could see that. Or not. :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 9:39 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:I think hdb should be non-rentable full stop. It's underwritten housing not a chance to line your pockets. Live in it or sell it. But reading that, it's just racist. Disappointing.

I was also under the impression you loved Singapore, JR8. I thought you were here from active choice.
There simply isn't enough housing on the island for all of the foreigners (2 of the ~5 million!) if you remove HDBs from the rental pool.
+, at the prices HDB houses were sold, .. if HDB totally removes the option to rent, for those cash starved + retirees etc .. will have another riot in SG .. and PAP can kiss the next election off ..

Well, hannieroo : you didn't realise HDB Is not so cheap, and it is not free housing .. vs those in some other countries .. or you overlooked it ?

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 2:15 pm

Neither. It's housing built by Singapore for Singaporeans. My views haven't changed. It might cost less if it wasn't being used for investment.

So to answer your question - neither apply.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 2:30 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Neither. It's housing built by Singapore for Singaporeans. My views haven't changed. It might cost less if it wasn't being used for investment.

So to answer your question - neither apply.
well, to give you a neutral answer, HDB is not / was not being sold at cost, and somewhere along the line, the cost crept up .. and the 'market forces' pushed it up .. and it wasn't a cheap housing- per se .. though that may have been the initial plan (as supposedly admired by Thatcher .. )

in comparison - Somebody published a pledge by some former transport minister - about the time they launched SMRT -that it would be the mode to offer the cheapest travel option .. etc. etc ... then again, SMRT become a Public limited company, listed in the stock exchange, and couldn't be a not-for-profit company anymore ..

Same same for HDB - or so I believe .. somewhere along the line, the concept of public housing became blurred and hence HDB had to allow rental - on certain conditions, like minimum occupation period etc - which are being slowly tightened now ..

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 2:58 pm

Off topic, but MRT is really cheap. My cousin was saying here you travel from one end to another end of Singapore the cost is less than $2. In Sydney you just travel from one stop to the next stop and it is likely to cost you atleast $4,lol. Going from Airport to City in Sydney costs you $17.80. Go figure!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 3:21 pm

Wd40 wrote:Off topic, but MRT is really cheap. My cousin was saying here you travel from one end to another end of Singapore the cost is less than $2. In Sydney you just travel from one stop to the next stop and it is likely to cost you atleast $4,lol. Going from Airport to City in Sydney costs you $17.80. Go figure!
the point about MRT is not about it being cheap, but also not getting top quality stuff, and .. well, the theory goes since it is profit driven, lowest bidder wins - no wonder the trains break down do often ..

PS: WD40: did you know that a few years ago, like 10 years ago, the then PM compared SG with AU, to say SG is cheaper ? he didn't pick any other country - just Australia ..

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 3:26 pm

Why do say they dont get top quality stuff? What do you see lacking? Trains breakdown everywhere. Do you know in Sydney, some of the train lines are closed during like 2 weekends in a month, due to maintenance.

I think for the price you pay and the taxes that are collected, the public transport here is brilliant, compared to other developed countries.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 3:45 pm

Wd40 wrote:Why do say they dont get top quality stuff? What do you see lacking? Trains breakdown everywhere. Do you know in Sydney, some of the train lines are closed during like 2 weekends in a month, due to maintenance.

I think for the price you pay and the taxes that are collected, the public transport here is brilliant, compared to other developed countries.
WD40 for president :)

Well, the point is, vs a few few years ago, a break down was unheard of .. heck, it was a NEVER - NEVER .. what changed since then, is the common voice around town .. cost cutting gone to the bone ?

let's leave it at that

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 3:52 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Why do say they dont get top quality stuff? What do you see lacking? Trains breakdown everywhere. Do you know in Sydney, some of the train lines are closed during like 2 weekends in a month, due to maintenance.

WD40 for president :)

Well, the point is, vs a few few years ago, a break down was unheard of .. heck, it was a NEVER - NEVER .. what changed since then, is the common voice around town .. cost cutting gone to the bone ?

let's leave it at that
Easy, wear and tear.

Just bright shiny toys that are no longer new and have shown the age. That's why you don't hear of breakdowns very close to opening in those days. Now, some breakdowns happen within days!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 4:17 pm

Wd40 wrote:Off topic, but MRT is really cheap. My cousin was saying here you travel from one end to another end of Singapore the cost is less than $2. In Sydney you just travel from one stop to the next stop and it is likely to cost you atleast $4,lol. Going from Airport to City in Sydney costs you $17.80. Go figure!
Yeah, Subway in Tokyo is probably 3-4x as expensive as MRT when you price it by distance. Don't even start on taxis there...

I fully agree with WD40 and Lynx. MRT is generally really good service. The fact that you hear about it on the news and they make such a big deal when there is a delay just shows how rare problems are. As things age, there will always be problems that will creep up due to age and/or complexity.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 5:08 pm

Wd40 wrote:I think for the price you pay and the taxes that are collected, the public transport here is brilliant, compared to other developed countries.
Most of it isn't more than 20 years old. By comparison the London Underground goes back to about 1860.

The 20 years old versus the 150 year old... not much of a competition eh.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 5:14 pm

Wd40 wrote:Off topic, but MRT is really cheap.
Because it is hugely subsidised via taxes.

Do you imagine the cost of providing a spiffy new rail system is 75% less here, than maintaining and running one somewhere else like Aus or Europe?

The reason it is so cheap is to do with the cost of putting a Dinky car on the road being something like S$200k, people HAVE to have some affordable way to get to work.

Tax the hell out of the car drivers, to subsidise the MRT riders?

Return to “General Discussions”