Singapore Expats Forum
 

Declining a job offer after IPA issued

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
sgwiz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 11:34 pm

Declining a job offer after IPA issued

Post by sgwiz » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:46 am

I am in Singapore on a P2 Employment Pass for almost 2 years. Just recently I was interviewed and landed a job offer with a slight increase in salary. The new company applied for my IPA and acquired the same. But when I was about to put down my papers at the existing company, I decided to stay back thinking of the great potential which lies ahead and the jump for the small increase doesn't look promising (wish I had to think of this before they applied for the IPA).

Now, I am wondering what happens to the IPA? Can the new company cancel it? Can they put a bad remark which could affect my future stay?

Any advise from you folks would be highly appreciated!

Ciao!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:51 am

Indian? :D

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Declining a job offer after IPA issued

Post by the lynx » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:02 pm

sgwiz wrote:I am in Singapore on a P2 Employment Pass for almost 2 years. Just recently I was interviewed and landed a job offer with a slight increase in salary. The new company applied for my IPA and acquired the same. But when I was about to put down my papers at the existing company, I decided to stay back thinking of the great potential which lies ahead and the jump for the small increase doesn't look promising (wish I had to think of this before they applied for the IPA).

Now, I am wondering what happens to the IPA? Can the new company cancel it? Can they put a bad remark which could affect my future stay?

Any advise from you folks would be highly appreciated!

Ciao!
Yes they can withdraw it. I don't know if they can put a bad remark but your history of having it issued and withdrawn will remain in ICA records.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: Declining a job offer after IPA issued

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 1:28 pm

the lynx wrote:Yes they can withdraw it. I don't know if they can put a bad remark but your history of having it issued and withdrawn will remain in ICA records.
For EP holders, I never heard of "bad remarks" unlike those on WP .. who can be blacklisted very easily ..

Though I wonder if MOM will be mighty pleased with this about turn ..

sgwiz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Declining a job offer after IPA issued

Post by sgwiz » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 1:52 pm

Wd40 wrote:Indian? :D
nope. western.
ecureilx wrote:Though I wonder if MOM will be mighty pleased with this about turn ..
Yeah, that is my worry too. Any experience with others?

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:39 am

Re: Declining a job offer after IPA issued

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 8:14 pm

sgwiz wrote:I am in Singapore on a P2 Employment Pass for almost 2 years. Just recently I was interviewed and landed a job offer with a slight increase in salary. The new company applied for my IPA and acquired the same. But when I was about to put down my papers at the existing company, I decided to stay back thinking of the great potential which lies ahead and the jump for the small increase doesn't look promising (wish I had to think of this before they applied for the IPA).

Now, I am wondering what happens to the IPA? Can the new company cancel it? Can they put a bad remark which could affect my future stay?

Any advise from you folks would be highly appreciated!

Ciao!
Not a good idea for several reasons:
- You are probably impacting your chances for future EPs - how much, no one can say. Between negligible and significant ;)
- You are leaving a bad image of yourself in the new company. Some take this to heart and will blacklist you. That only matters if your new company is medium to big.
- Last but not least, if you have resigned already, it is a very bad idea to withdraw your resignation. Even if you haven't - I am sure you had your reasons to want to leave your employer. Have those reasons changed recently? If no, I would go ahead.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37488
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:14 pm

Your current employer, if you had already resigned and then withdrew it, will, in all fairness, keep you head on the chopping block and in the least downturn, where it would be advisable to shed some headcount, guess who is going to be the first out the door. :-|

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:15 am
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Post by beppi » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:52 pm

In addition, your current employer can, if he bothers to check, see in your MoM profile that you applied for a new EP. This will lead to the same result as SMS outlined above, but stronger.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 9:38 am
Location: London

Post by FaeLLe » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 3:57 pm

beppi wrote:In addition, your current employer can, if he bothers to check, see in your MoM profile that you applied for a new EP. This will lead to the same result as SMS outlined above, but stronger.
There is no way the existing employer can pull out reports of number of EP's issued for a FIN once the other IPA is withdrawn... only MOM can.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests