Singapore Expats

Looking for a gym.

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Josh92Wilson

Looking for a gym.

Post by Josh92Wilson » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 9:05 pm

Hey guys, I'm a 21 year old lad from the UK and am looking to get into the gym. I've tried to before just never had the motivation. Don't get me wrong I love sports etc but I just always feel lazy when it comes to the gym. I've decided no more of that!

Could anyone recommend a decent gym over here. Preferably cheap. I was looking at personal trainers as I feel that if I pay for something I won't want to not go as i'll be wasting money! Any gyms that have good personal trainers?

Appreciate the help guys!

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 9:09 pm

Have you tried Crossfit? There are a number of "boxes" (their name for gyms) located around Singapore. Like anything, some are better than others…My SO loves it - people are friendly, and if you're so inclined, there's a lot of socializing, so it's nice for people who are new to the country (Crossfit also seems to skew a bit younger, so nice for folks in your age bracket as well). All you have to do is drink the kool-aid! :wink:

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 9:19 pm

Forget about gym. You have no motivation. Me for that matter - I don't even question myself whether to go to the gym or no.

And better stay away from crossfit. Nonsensical + high risk of injury with dubious benefits.

You said you love sports - do what you love, stay away from gym.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Thu, 16 Jan 2014 9:32 pm

I disagree with Sergei, but everyone has their own opinions. I think any workout has to be carefully monitored by both the trainer and the person actually doing the workout….And if you're interested in joining a gym, then do it! Maybe you weren't motivated in the past, but you may find in your move to Singapore that you are of a mind to turn over a new leaf. Also, it's pretty hot here, so you may appreciate working out in an air conditioned facility!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, but I echo Sergei's sentiment to just MOVE!! :D

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 1:32 am

Sergei82 wrote:Forget about gym. You have no motivation. Me for that matter - I don't even question myself whether to go to the gym or no.

And better stay away from crossfit. Nonsensical + high risk of injury with dubious benefits.

You said you love sports - do what you love, stay away from gym.
What's your max on dumbell chest press flat bench?
The grass is greener on the other side.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 7:19 am

ohmz52 wrote:What's your max on dumbell chest press flat bench?
Unfortunately, the policy in local girlish commercial gyms is to keep dumbbells light. In our gym they run up to 40 kg only. I can do dumbbell fly heavier.

keithb7305

So any Gym suggestion?

Post by keithb7305 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 12:39 pm

I am moving into the Illuminaire and was looking for gyms, seems like nobody actually answered the question above. Any suggestions?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 12:52 pm

What will you do in the gym? Yoga? Dance? Bodybuilding? Powerlifting? Weightlifting? Running on treadmills? Do you need gym with more boys or girls to chat? Do you need gym with less big guys? Do you need more big guys in the gym? Do you need stationary bike in the gym? Elliptical? Are you leg abduction machines lover? Do you need to effectively train your calves? How much money do you want to pay for the gym? Do you need a personal trainer? Maybe you need women-only gym? Are you planning to do boxing or MMA in the gym? Do you want to gain muscle and lose fat or just do nothing pretending to do something and calling it toning up? How old are you? How late will you be going to the gym? What time in the morning you prefer the gym to open? Will you go to the gym on weekends and public holidays? Should I continue, cuz I have more?

keithb7305

Good questions

Post by keithb7305 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 3:57 pm

Sergei thanks for all the questions. Typically my workouts are a cycle and I try not to exceed an hour. So usually a gym less crowded is preferred but I also do not want to have to go very far to go to the gym. I am 25 yr old Male. I like to weight train about 5-6 times a week. Also I can be flexible with the time I go to the gym based on my work schedule. Hope this helps narrow things down.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Re: Good questions

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 4:06 pm

keithb7305 wrote:Typically my workouts are a cycle and I try not to exceed an hour...
What cycle? You can buy a stationary bike for 200 dollars in Singapore. No need to go to gym!

keithb7305

Whoops meant circuit

Post by keithb7305 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 4:19 pm

Sorry, did not mean cycle meant circuit.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:07 pm

If ypu mean you are staying at Illuminaire On Devonshire, then your nearest gyms will be California Fitness (CF) in Ngee Ann City, Fitness First (FF) at either Paragon or The Cathay, or Pure Fitness (PF) at Knightsbridge.

CF is large and has lots of equipment - cardio, resistance machines and free weights - but has a pretty high (and very openly so) gay contingent training there. If you are homophobic it might not be the best place to train although it will probably be the cheapest. Depending on the membership you get, you will have access to the other CF gyms around town.

FF is more expensive than CF - in the region of $160 a month - and is also well equipped. But the free weight area is small. If you are more into machines than free weights you'll probably be okay. Depending on the membership you get, you will have access to the other FF gyms around town.

I can't tell you that much about PF other than it is quite expensive.

ALL of these gyms will get pretty crowded during peak hours - 5pm to 9pm. But then Singapore is pretty crowded in general.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:12 pm

Recent equipment change in California Fitness Raffles Place resulted in gym being absolutely useless for any serious workout. All people I knew from there (more than 10, including me) left for another gyms in the past 3 months.
It's cheaper, but I wouldn't go there even if I'm paid for it.

keithb7305

Thank you

Post by keithb7305 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:13 pm

Thank you Addadude. This helps me narrow down choices.

ohmz52
Regular
Regular

Post by ohmz52 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:26 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
ohmz52 wrote:What's your max on dumbell chest press flat bench?
Unfortunately, the policy in local girlish commercial gyms is to keep dumbbells light. In our gym they run up to 40 kg only. I can do dumbbell fly heavier.
That is horrible. 40kg is poor, very poor considering the price of membership.

I hope I find a gym that does them up to 50.
The grass is greener on the other side.