Singapore Expats

:wave: hello from Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 4:18 pm

Great, well done, there's plenty more places that you will enjoy then :)

There's loads of other stuff to do about Singapore island, stuff that the locals won't tell you about and you won't read on the main touristy webpages, like walking the old train track, exploring WWII underground tunnels, chapels and war museums etc. the reason you won't hear about them from locals is that they are generally outside where there is no aircon!
nutnut

chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Post by chris_pilgrim » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 8:29 pm

nutnut wrote:the reason you won't hear about them from locals is that they are generally outside where there is no aircon!
so true. noticed that the locals love to hang out in shopping malls. either to shop or to eat. :)
It is better to believe than to disbelieve. in doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 9:41 pm

Yes indeed, hence they are lifeless places full of smartphone zombies!

If you like a bit of trekking/exploration - get yourself on to this group on Facebook, VJ who runs it is a nice bloke.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgtrek/

nutnut
nutnut

chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Post by chris_pilgrim » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 9:59 pm

@nutnut. thanks for the lead. i will check it out :)

also i've signed up Sentosa islander membership that allows unlimited island admissions :)

i intend to spent my weekends lazing by the beach ;)
It is better to believe than to disbelieve. in doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:17 am

I work around Harbourfront /Vivo if you & Fortan are freeish in Feb.
Unfortunately, I too am from London but 2014 is my 3rd year here and I am still learning and getting used to it.
Have you tried Seah Imm food court yet?
I love walking around Hort Park.
Hubby is back in good ole sunny London this week battling the weather :lol:

chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Post by chris_pilgrim » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 2:51 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:Unfortunately, I too am from London but 2014 is my 3rd year here and I am still learning and getting used to it.

Have you tried Seah Imm food court yet?

I love walking around Hort Park.

Hubby is back in good ole sunny London this week battling the weather :lol:
:wave: hi PrimroseHill. it's so lovely to "meet" another Londoner :)

i find that it's a challenge acclimatising not only to the weather but the people as well. they are pretty obsessed with their mobile phones, you think?

i thought i was from a mad part of London but this place is madder than i imagine :D

oh well .. rant over.

and no i've not yet tried Seah Imm food court. any nice dish to recommend? :)

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 3:24 pm

Try the fish noodles or the duck noodles - its yummy. No air con though.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 3:45 pm

I haven't been to Seah Im in recent years since I moved offices, but I used to frequent the prawn mee stall up the far end, it is quite nearby the duck rice place which also good but often has queues (I think that's how I got onto the prawn mee actually!)

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 4:23 pm

A (now closed) Masala Dosai stall at Seah Im was my regular breakfast haunt when I commuted to Batam.
The tea stall at the front right (when looking at it from the main road) is run by three picturesquely bearded Arab-Singaporean brothers and gives a rare glimpse into the Arab community here. (The tea is too sweet, though.)

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 4:45 pm

beppi wrote:A (now closed) Masala Dosai stall at Seah Im was my regular breakfast haunt when I commuted to Batam.
The tea stall at the front right (when looking at it from the main road) is run by three picturesquely bearded Arab-Singaporean brothers and gives a rare glimpse into the Arab community here. (The tea is too sweet, though.)
There's now a masala dosai stall at food republic. not half bad

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 5:25 pm

ohmz52 wrote:I'll probably be in a similar state when I move there next month.
I'm in London now and I've never lived alone in my life let alone in another country!
I expect this applied to many of us. Maybe that's why the first posting is often the 'biggie', as so much is new. But the rewards are fantastic, you become so self-reliant, and unphaseable. Suddenly, 'life back home' comes to feel as if it were all a bit mundane...

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Mon, 13 Jan 2014 6:12 pm

JR8 wrote:Suddenly, 'life back home' comes to feel as if it were all a bit mundane...
I had the cushy ex-pat deal in Tokyo for 5 glorious years, and then got sent back to Seattle. OMG, I was SO bored there. No public transport, cold and wet, yadda yadda. So we took a transfer to the red dot a year later. A little daunting at first, especially in a temp home around Orchard, but once we got to our place in Tiong Bahru it's been awesome. It's indeed difficult to live "back home" after the good life out here. :lol:

chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Post by chris_pilgrim » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:23 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:Have you tried Seah Imm food court yet?
PrimroseHill wrote:Try the fish noodles or the duck noodles - its yummy. No air con though.
i finally made a trip to Seah Imm Food Court :)

but it was a shame both the fish noodles n the boneless duck rice store were closed :(

i tried prata, ice kachang and sugar cane water ... and they were yummy and below $10 !! and thankfully it was pretty windy so i wasn't sweating like a miss piggy :P