Singapore Expats

transportation means singapore - JB

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tiebushan

Post by tiebushan » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 2:28 pm

cars and bikes are out of the question. I don't have any vehicle and if possible I would avoid car pooling since that would mean I need to depend on someone else. How long would it normally take by bus or train? and how much. are there any other of public transportation means? thanks

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 2:47 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:I think the fastest option would be the motorbike - somebody mentioned it already.
just remember the bike-shelters, when the Sky Juice comes crashing from up ..

Safety on BKE ? generally, when surrounded by a lot of J Plate bikes .. it's not the best thing to ride another bike, with the J Plate bikes .. the J Plates do amazing tricks .. to get past
I ride mostly in the West and it happens from time to time during rush hours in BKE. Nothing specific about J-plated bikes. They just ride like their Singapore equivalents, meaning like idiots. But you know what's the trick? You don't need to ride the same way.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 2:52 pm

tiebushan wrote:cars and bikes are out of the question. I don't have any vehicle and if possible I would avoid car pooling since that would mean I need to depend on someone else. How long would it normally take by bus or train? and how much. are there any other of public transportation means? thanks
Where are you coming from? Skudai, Pelangi, Plentong? And which entry point you're planning to take? Tuas or Woodlands?

And which part of Orchard Road you're working? It is a freaking long road.

tiebushan

Post by tiebushan » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 7:20 am

I'm living in SING now, I'm still doing my research on this issue. if I find the numbers add up (the money saved Vs the trip duration + QoL), I'll consider moving to JB. thanks

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 10:27 am

tiebushan wrote:I'm living in SING now, I'm still doing my research on this issue. if I find the numbers add up (the money saved Vs the trip duration + QoL), I'll consider moving to JB. thanks
Please let us know how it turns out... because the commute at any time around rush hours is a true stinker... you'd be lucky to make it two hours each way.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 11:08 am

tiebushan wrote:I'm living in SING now, I'm still doing my research on this issue. if I find the numbers add up (the money saved Vs the trip duration + QoL), I'll consider moving to JB. thanks
Let me draw out the rough estimates:

Rent a room at Taman Pelangi, JB is MYR600.00 per month (cheapest I can think of). Imagine the room in typical cheapo Malaysian condition.

Depending on which part of Taman Pelangi, a public bus ride (laughable) to Sultan Iskandar check point (for Woodlands route) will cost you MYR1.00 per trip. The trip is only 15 minutes but the waiting can take to an hour or more.

After immigration clearance (15 minutes on good day, 1 hour plus for bad day), let's say you take Causeway Link bus to Newton (CW5 I think) to get to Orchard, that's MYR2.60 each way.

Once you're in Newton (after a journey of between 30 minutes on good day or 2 hours on bad day), take MRT or bus to your office in Orchard.

That's your fastest bus route I can think of.

I will not touch on Nusajaya, Perling, Skudai and subsequently, Tuas Link route unless you say you have a car. Even then I wouldn't sweat it.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:10 pm

Bumped into a former colleague last night. She moved to Leisure Farm about a year back. Leaves home at 8 and is at her desk in the CBD by 9. It sounds like she has traded her condo here for a large landed property there. It seems that it can work for some. She drives.

Realise this doesn’t help the OP just thought it interesting to meet someone who had made the move and really seems to love it over there.