Singapore Expats

Things you wish you knew/did before relocating to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 7:50 am

Automatic dishwashers are very rare here. Also, most kitchens don't have air conditioning.

Another thing, ask lots of questions of your landlord. I know someone who moved into a new place and was told they'd put in an oven, and they put in a toaster oven. Not funny. Visit a place before agreeing to rent. Is there air conditioning? If so, does it work? Turn it on when you visit. That kind of stuff.

It's not like renting an apartment in the US where there are leasing offices and if something breaks, you give the office a call and they fix it in the next day or so. Each unit in condo complexes is generally owned by a separate landlord. Often in Sg, you're responsible for arranging repairs and paying the bill yourself, and then deducting it from the next months rent. Make sure something is in your lease that says how repairs are handled.

Another thing, consider budgeting for monthly pest control if you see one ant. Where there's one, there are more. Ant problems are common, even on high floors in new luxury condos. We tried doing stuff ourselves with sprays and other products, but the ants would be back the next day. Seriously, cut open a piece of fruit and the ants appear out of nowhere. Pest control was one of the best investments we made, in my opinion. It costs about $900-$1000 per year.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 8:27 am

BedokAmerican wrote:Another thing, consider budgeting for monthly pest control if you see one ant. Where there's one, there are more. Ant problems are common, even on high floors in new luxury condos. We tried doing stuff ourselves with sprays and other products, but the ants would be back the next day. Seriously, cut open a piece of fruit and the ants appear out of nowhere. Pest control was one of the best investments we made, in my opinion. It costs about $900-$1000 per year.
This is precisely the problem we are having right now! :(

Every time I think I've identified what is bringing them in, and laid bait-traps, we seem to get a days respite, then they're back. Very frustrating!

7am this morning saw me trying to figure out if they were somehow coming in via the sink overflow! :cry:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 9:01 am

JR8 wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote:Another thing, consider budgeting for monthly pest control if you see one ant. Where there's one, there are more. Ant problems are common, even on high floors in new luxury condos. We tried doing stuff ourselves with sprays and other products, but the ants would be back the next day. Seriously, cut open a piece of fruit and the ants appear out of nowhere. Pest control was one of the best investments we made, in my opinion. It costs about $900-$1000 per year.
This is precisely the problem we are having right now! :(

Every time I think I've identified what is bringing them in, and laid bait-traps, we seem to get a days respite, then they're back. Very frustrating!

7am this morning saw me trying to figure out if they were somehow coming in via the sink overflow! :cry:
I gave my 2.5yr old an old spatula and let her run around whacking them. It keeps her entertained for hours (and isn't a TV/iPad/iPod) and (very) slowly solves the problem. :)

In our case, we just have random scurriers(?) running all on the floor or walls randomly. No solid stream from any point A to point B, the exception sometimes being the kitchen sink of it wasn't fully rinsed or the bathroom sink if there is toothpaste in it. Our ants must have really healthy teeth/mandibles. :D

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 9:26 am

Trust me, half of pest control companies here use the same method and even same chemical to kill ants. Except in higher dosage and in bigger looking handheld sprayer.

But if it worked, it means you chose a good company.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 9:34 am

Best thing to do, call the pest control follks.
Termites - older condos have termites problem :x

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 9:42 am

Tanuki wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Good ideas! I'd also add get a Kindle and iTunes account set up - you can't download music/vids with a Singapore address or C/C.
Not sure what you refer to here, but iTunes in Singapore certainly does have all the music and movies in it for download. Can't get TV shows due to licensing I'd guess, but that's what torrent is for anyhow, right? Hehe. I don't do Kindle so that might be different...
The iTunes stores outside of the USA are a pale imitation of the US version. This goes way beyond television shows.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 7:21 pm

scarbowl wrote:
Tanuki wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Good ideas! I'd also add get a Kindle and iTunes account set up - you can't download music/vids with a Singapore address or C/C.
Not sure what you refer to here, but iTunes in Singapore certainly does have all the music and movies in it for download. Can't get TV shows due to licensing I'd guess, but that's what torrent is for anyhow, right? Hehe. I don't do Kindle so that might be different...
The iTunes stores outside of the USA are a pale imitation of the US version. This goes way beyond television shows.
Thanks that's what I've been trying to say.... I know others may be working around this via VPN or whatever but there is NO decent iTune store outside the US/UK/Australia IME.

SINexpat

Post by SINexpat » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 1:40 pm

If she has a shipping container allowance, bring in all your sporting equipment with you. Add 30-50% to buy the same items here if you forget anything.

If you don't have one from work, get a VPN software set-up established. Using VPN back to the US allows you to access things like Pandora and other restricted sites from being over here.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 6:37 pm

PNGMK wrote:
scarbowl wrote:
Tanuki wrote: Not sure what you refer to here, but iTunes in Singapore certainly does have all the music and movies in it for download. Can't get TV shows due to licensing I'd guess, but that's what torrent is for anyhow, right? Hehe. I don't do Kindle so that might be different...
Thanks that's what I've been trying to say.... I know others may be working around this via VPN or whatever but there is NO decent iTune store outside the US/UK/Australia IME.
Not even a VPN, just a US Billing address and a credit card that is either A) from a US bank or B) does not verify the billing address when being charged (like an Amex).