Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Airlines A380 plane in emergency landing

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Singapore Airlines A380 plane in emergency landing

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 12:53 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25618122

This quote made me go :roll: :roll: :roll: ...

Ronald Leung wrote: "Really have to appreciate Singapore Airlines making the immediate announcement rather than say nothing and try to censor the number of people who will know about the incident."

Or is that why the story hasn't been mentioned here yet? :twisted:

Seems like the crew did a decent job of getting the plane down to a safe altitude quickly, although the lack of timely passenger announcements obviously caused a good deal of distress...

Singapore Airline: 'The plane just fell from the sky' (BBC)
Be careful what you wish for

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 7:37 am

Wonderful, I am getting on one to London Sunday :-(

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 9:22 am

me too

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Max Headroom » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 9:51 am

Happened to me on a flight from Portugal. The door seal was apparently kaput and something inside the door was resonating loudly with the wind blowing by. When I told the cabin crew, she said, yeah, that door is wonky, don't worry about it :shock:

I asked to be seated elsewhere so at least I'd have a second's notice before getting blown out of the plane upon violent decompression.

Obviously, that was the last time I flew TAP.

Another time, the escape slide starting inflating inside the door whilst high over the Middle East.

But best I wait for you guys to come back before elaborating eh.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:14 am

PrimroseHill wrote:me too


What time? Maybe we could grab a coffee or should it be a whiskey all things considered!!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:24 am

A passenger travelling on the a Singapore Airlines flight, which was forced to make an emergency landing, has told the BBC that the plane "just fell from the sky".

"I literally thought we were all going to die. There was no warning, the plane just went into a deep descent, the masks dropped and you automatically thought we were going to crash."

The Airbus A380 was forced to land in Azerbaijan due to loss of cabin pressure.

The airline said that oxygen masks were deployed and the aircraft landed "uneventfully" at the Baku airport.


Quite a sensational story, and what a stupid interview. "Let's interview a scared passenger who has no f-cking clue about what was going on".
If you read about these kinds of things in aviation, this really was a non-emergency and not quite a big deal. If you lose cabin pressure, this is exactly what you're supposed to do. Not a big deal. Do you want your cabin gabbing non-stop during an event, or focusing on flying?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:34 am

This is hillarious. F-cking whiners:

Passenger Terri Mann, said that she had to sleep on a "cold steel bench" with her 17-month old child, and that there were no "food places" at the airport.

"We are all a little hesitant about getting on our next legs of our journeys, just hope the worst is over," she wrote.

Another passenger Mark Franklin wrote that the handling of the incident was "terrible".


Your plane made an emergency landing in a former Soviet third world sh!thole. Sorry they couldn't chose a location with an integrated resort to keep you busy. :roll: :roll:

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:49 am

Steve1960 wrote:
PrimroseHill wrote:me too


What time? Maybe we could grab a coffee or should it be a whiskey all things considered!!


I was told about it yesterday, have to be in the office on Monday, but hey ho, yet to see flight schedule

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:54 am

PrimroseHill wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:
PrimroseHill wrote:me too


What time? Maybe we could grab a coffee or should it be a whiskey all things considered!!


I was told about it yesterday, have to be in the office on Monday, but hey ho, yet to see flight schedule


PM me when you know and we might see each other in the SQ lounge :-)

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:57 am

zzm9980 wrote:This is hillarious. F-cking whiners:

Passenger Terri Mann, said that she had to sleep on a "cold steel bench" with her 17-month old child, and that there were no "food places" at the airport.

"We are all a little hesitant about getting on our next legs of our journeys, just hope the worst is over," she wrote.

Another passenger Mark Franklin wrote that the handling of the incident was "terrible".


Your plane made an emergency landing in a former Soviet third world sh!thole. Sorry they couldn't chose a location with an integrated resort to keep you busy. :roll: :roll:


Or the cynic in me says this kind of sensationalist reaction will be good for compensation form SQ later :wink:

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 12:51 pm

zzm9980 wrote:This is hillarious. F-cking whiners:

Your plane made an emergency landing in a former Soviet third world sh!thole. Sorry they couldn't chose a location with an integrated resort to keep you busy. :roll: :roll:



Considering the seal first blew after just 20min from Heathrow, the plane should never have got that far so yes, I think whining is genuine in this case. The flight should have returned to Heathrow or landed in Frankfurt, both suitable destinations for a SQ A380 not, as you say, leaving the problem to fester until flying over a, yes, third world Soviet era sand trap.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 1:56 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:This is hillarious. F-cking whiners:

Your plane made an emergency landing in a former Soviet third world sh!thole. Sorry they couldn't chose a location with an integrated resort to keep you busy. :roll: :roll:



Considering the seal first blew after just 20min from Heathrow, the plane should never have got that far so yes, I think whining is genuine in this case. The flight should have returned to Heathrow or landed in Frankfurt, both suitable destinations for a SQ A380 not, as you say, leaving the problem to fester until flying over a, yes, third world Soviet era sand trap.


The story linked didn't say anything about 20 minutes from Heathrow. If that actually happened, then you're right. I'm curious of your source on that and how credible they are.

What is described on BBC (rapid 2 minute decent from 38k feet to normal atmosphere along with the air masks dropping) sounds like sudden decompression. I highly doubt SQ or any competent airline (basically anyone that isn't Tiger) would continue to fly if they suspected there was a reasonable chance of cabin pressure compromise when in the air.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 2:19 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:This is hillarious. F-cking whiners:

Your plane made an emergency landing in a former Soviet third world sh!thole. Sorry they couldn't chose a location with an integrated resort to keep you busy. :roll: :roll:



Considering the seal first blew after just 20min from Heathrow, the plane should never have got that far so yes, I think whining is genuine in this case. The flight should have returned to Heathrow or landed in Frankfurt, both suitable destinations for a SQ A380 not, as you say, leaving the problem to fester until flying over a, yes, third world Soviet era sand trap.


The story linked didn't say anything about 20 minutes from Heathrow. If that actually happened, then you're right. I'm curious of your source on that and how credible they are.

What is described on BBC (rapid 2 minute decent from 38k feet to normal atmosphere along with the air masks dropping) sounds like sudden decompression. I highly doubt SQ or any competent airline (basically anyone that isn't Tiger) would continue to fly if they suspected there was a reasonable chance of cabin pressure compromise when in the air.


I can link to even the SG Press.........
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 7:08 pm

All of the article's I've found on this seem to all quote the same passenger who says this, nothing from SQ saying they knew about the problem 20 minutes into the flight. I'm still dubious since a passenger who works as a 'bank officer' isn't necessarily the most qualified to judge.

I especially like the bit the guy throws in about "dodging mountains":

[quote]
About 20 minutes after Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight 317 left London for Singapore, bank officer Matthew G. Johnson heard a louse noise from the door five rows in front of where he was seated.

He asked the cabin crew what happened but did not get a satisfactory reply. About two hours later, a senior crew came by. “Apparently, the door had a leaking seal which had presented on the flight to London but apparently, in very mild form,”

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:25 am

Getting aboard one in about an hour, fingers crossed and bum cheeks squeezed :shock:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests