Singapore Expats Forum

Best Place to Retire??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 6:48 am

earthfriendly wrote:So how safe is KL for a person with average street smartness? I have read about robberies resulting in injuries (parking lot) in prestigious mall in KL and the security there had to take counter measures.

Right now, I do not need to look over my shoulders or pay extra attention while frequenting the malls' parking lot, where I live, and wonder how safe is KL compared to my current situation.


If you can read about something in a newspaper this means it is still relatively rare. I guess you don't live right now in any really big city?

Kind of funny, but not surprising: the only time in my whole life I was a victim of a crime was in Singapore - somebody took my old mobile phone from my desk at work.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 6:52 am

x9200 wrote:If you can read about something in a newspaper this means it is still relatively rare.


You mean like courteous acts here in Singapore are written up? :lol:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 7:20 am

Non-existing events are often not reported.

BTW, I don't recall hearing about anybody finding some large amount of money and returning it back to the owner or handing over to police. Is this a common thing, non-existing category or I just don't read enough local newspapers?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 8:40 am

earthfriendly wrote:So how safe is KL for a person with average street smartness? I have read about robberies resulting in injuries (parking lot) in prestigious mall in KL and the security there had to take counter measures.

Right now, I do not need to look over my shoulders or pay extra attention while frequenting the malls' parking lot, where I live, and wonder how safe is KL compared to my current situation.

My sister works in JB and a few of her local coworkers had been victims of crime, and some has been repeatedly victimized. It is a small office she works in. I understand JB is a town on the border and quite different from KL.


Hehe 'average' can be very subjective. If your 'average' street smartness is of a Chicagoan, you will definitely survive KL. If 'average' street smartness is of a Singaporean, you will be creamed the moment you drive up to a petrol station there.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 8:55 am

I may be between Chicago and Singapore. I live in a (bit of a boring) suburb. Many who grew up in the suburbs have this perception that the cities are dirty, grimey and crime infested.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 9:00 am

KL is the cowboy town 8-)

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 9:12 am

x9200 wrote:To know the truth you have to live in Malaysia and a Western country both for longer periods of time. Also you probably have to factor in an Angmoh factor - stereotypes of rich whites must be present making them potentially a more likely target.


To know the truth you have to have lived in Malaysia . . .

So, what absurdities - no offense - have you been spouting so far?

This is my fifth year here (in KL) and I feel as safe here as I felt in SG for my six years there.

The AngMoh factor? Rich whites? Are you kidding me? Most whites are employed people seconded here (as in SG) - have you any clue how wealthy the 'rich' locals are.

Pulled over by cops twice in all these years - once for speeding and let off with a caution, the other time for talking on the mobile while driving. Also let off with a warning and a friendly good-bye.

You speak of Apartheid an compare ZA to MY - which is an insult to both countries . . . though I'd be very interested to read your reasons
......................................................

'nuff said Image

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 9:38 am

Good morning Vaucluse. Did you have your coffee yet? I believe you are barking up the wrong tree.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:19 am

Good morning EF! Image Yes, thank you. Ipoh coffee, as it were

Wrong tree? How so? Did I misread again? Sigh . . .
......................................................



'nuff said Image

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:31 am

WD40, not X9200. I know, I know, all these alphanumeric names all sound the same. Why don't you guys pick a nice nick with a noun or an adjective like....................... "Earthfriendly " :P .

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:49 am

Vaucluse wrote:
x9200 wrote:To know the truth you have to live in Malaysia and a Western country both for longer periods of time. Also you probably have to factor in an Angmoh factor - stereotypes of rich whites must be present making them potentially a more likely target.


To know the truth you have to have lived in Malaysia . . .

So, what absurdities - no offense - have you been spouting so far?

This is my fifth year here (in KL) and I feel as safe here as I felt in SG for my six years there.

The AngMoh factor? Rich whites? Are you kidding me? Most whites are employed people seconded here (as in SG) - have you any clue how wealthy the 'rich' locals are.

Pulled over by cops twice in all these years - once for speeding and let off with a caution, the other time for talking on the mobile while driving. Also let off with a warning and a friendly good-bye.

You speak of Apartheid an compare ZA to MY - which is an insult to both countries . . . though I'd be very interested to read your reasons


Wrong assumptions Vaucluse. I always say that safety in Malaysia is like in any Western country (average) so you are barking up the wrong tree plus you confused me with WD40. For these ++10y I am here, not a single bad thing has happened to me in Malaysia. Happy now?

Only one point: surely there is an Angmoh factor. It is in Singapore and there is more poor people in Malaysia. This is about stereotyping, not statistics.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:51 am

earthfriendly wrote:WD40, not X9200. I know, I know, all these alphanumeric names all sound the same. Why don't you guys pick a nice nick with a noun or an adjective like....................... "Earthfriendly " :P .

I don't like it neither but apparently at the time I created it I thought it was a good idea.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:58 am

earthfriendly wrote:WD40, not X9200. I know, I know, all these alphanumeric names all sound the same. Why don't you guys pick a nice nick with a noun or an adjective like....................... "Earthfriendly " :P .


WD40 is a proper noun :P :cool:

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:59 am

x9200 wrote:Wrong assumptions Vaucluse. I always say that safety in Malaysia is like in any Western country (average) so you are barking up the wrong tree plus you confused me with WD40. For these ++10y I am here, not a single bad thing has happened to me in Malaysia. Happy now?

Only one point: surely there is an Angmoh factor. It is in Singapore and there is more poor people in Malaysia. This is about stereotyping, not statistics.


My apologies, I blame he quote function, so at least you know you weren't meant and there is no need for snarky comments . . . though one is permissible to vent. :wink:

I disagree with the angmoh factor being prevalent here as there are far fewer expats than in Singapore . . . sure, we are seen as having more money than the average Malaysian but rich? Nope, not in my experience.


Still unsure of how I am barking up the wrong tree:
x9200 wrote:Wrong assumptions Vaucluse. I always say that safety in Malaysia is like in any Western country (average) so you are barking up the wrong tree.


earthfriendly wrote:WD40, not X9200. I know, I know, all these alphanumeric names all sound the same. Why don't you guys pick a nice nick with a noun or an adjective like....................... "Earthfriendly " :P .

. . . or Vaucluse! :)
......................................................



'nuff said Image

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 11:07 am

Wd40 wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:WD40, not X9200. I know, I know, all these alphanumeric names all sound the same. Why don't you guys pick a nice nick with a noun or an adjective like....................... "Earthfriendly " :P .


WD40 is a proper noun :P :cool:


Ok, proper noun . . . Apartheid in Malaysia and ZA being the same, 'along the same lines' . . . I'm interested.
......................................................



'nuff said Image


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest