Singapore Expats

Pricing at wet markets?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Pricing at wet markets?

Post by Tanuki » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 1:16 pm

The wife and I enjoy shopping for fresh foods at the Tiong Bahru market once in awhile. We notices that mostly there are no prices posted, so either you ask or you just find out when it's time to pay. Is there normally a different price for local folks that's cheaper than for us out-of-towners? I know it was that way in Beijing, but here it's all happening so fast at the shops, I'm guessing that everyone's paying the same prices. Anyone have knowledge on this? Just curious. :o

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

wet market prices

Post by martincymru » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 2:47 pm

I have same problem.
It's a trust me syndrome ........ maybe the govt will make it law to display prices ...... so many other laws here so another one won't make any difference

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Re: wet market prices

Post by Tanuki » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 2:50 pm

martincymru wrote:I have same problem.
It's a trust me syndrome ........ maybe the govt will make it law to display prices ...... so many other laws here so another one won't make any difference
Yea there are so many laws that nobody pays attention to any of them. We chuckle at our pool as there are always a pile of ciggy butts right next to the sign saying smoking is banned by law. :-({|=

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 3:36 pm

All wet markets have Ang Mo tax. You learn to take it in your stride as it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than CS.

Or if you have an asian/local wife, if it's something that you need to inspect (like crabs, for instance, so as not to get white crabs (light - recently molted) I always hovered around two rows behind the wife and after she got a price quoted (local rates) she would give a shout and I would appear and proceed to decimate the bins of all their good crabs. Best backhanded compliment I ever got was being called "just like a Hainanese fish wife!" He was talking to my wife in Malay - him Chinese, the wife Tamil who is fluent in Malay as well. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 3:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:All wet markets have Ang Mo tax. You learn to take it in your stride as it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than CS.

Or if you have an asian/local wife, if it's something that you need to inspect (like crabs, for instance, so as not to get white crabs (light - recently molted) I always hovered around two rows behind the wife and after she got a price quoted (local rates) she would give a shout and I would appear and proceed to decimate the bins of all their good crabs. Best backhanded compliment I ever got was being called "just like a Hainanese fish wife!" He was talking to my wife in Malay - him Chinese, the wife Tamil who is fluent in Malay as well. :cool:
Yea, I'm not complaining about it at all, as the prices ARE still pretty good and the quality is very nice there. My wife is Japanese, but she doesn't speak any of the local languages so we're SOL on that part.

Good job on your methods, SMS!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 5:48 pm

Tanuki wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:All wet markets have Ang Mo tax. You learn to take it in your stride as it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than CS.

Yea, I'm not complaining about it at all, as the prices ARE still pretty good and the quality is very nice there. My wife is Japanese, but she doesn't speak any of the local languages so we're SOL on that part.

Good job on your methods, SMS!
Just have the wifey learn to copy the local accent, at least for market runs; plenty of local Chinese Singaporeans who don't speak a word of what-passes-as-Mandarin. :wink:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 8:20 pm

I've found that after a year of frequenting the same veggie guy and butcher at Tekka Market that I'm getting a bit of a discount on what I used to pay. Generally this is reflected in giving me a little more of this and that, or having me try something new for free….But no doubt there is an Ang Moh tax!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 8:00 am

^^ this

My wife is Filipina she always does the shopping at the wet market and I wander around with our daughter just looking and taking in the atmosphere.

We went to the local market yesterday and the prices were noticeably higher on some items particularly salmon. The stall holders told my wife its a price hike for Chinese New Year!

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 9:01 am

Steve1960 wrote: We went to the local market yesterday and the prices were noticeably higher on some items particularly salmon. The stall holders told my wife its a price hike for Chinese New Year!
Maybe a price hike to fund his CNY trip to Macau... :shock:

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 10:02 am

Tanuki wrote: Maybe a price hike to fund his CNY trip to Macau... :shock:
Possibly but we checked several stalls and they had all hiked the price on salmon in particular.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:36 am

My wife actively tells me to stay back, and has done for years - including the years we spent in HK - if we need anything from oranges/grapes to batteries or anything that doesn't come with a pricing label on it.

Just yesterday I needed a battery for my car key and got her to find one whilst I got a haircut.....every little helps, right?

It's not a Singapore thing, it's a 'colonies' type thing.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE