Singapore Expats

Statistics on Numbers of Expats in Sg

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Statistics on Numbers of Expats in Sg

Post by martincymru » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 5:24 pm

Where can I find historical hard data on number of expats working here and their respective nationalities for the past (say) 10 years ?

No agenda, just curious as to whether the job market is getting tougher for certain groups.

If no evidence available then surely a good thesis topic for those people involved in Social Research !

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 5:44 pm

I dont think "job market getting tougher for certain groups" is really a factor at all. The bigger factor is how the home markets of these expats are performing. For eg, last few years with US and EU in slowdown, lots of people from there look forward to work in Singapore. Now, though I guess lot of that will get reversed. I expect fewer and fewer expats wanting to come to Asia, when their home markets are doing much better.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 6:05 pm

I've tried to find that data for many years now, without too much success. I reckon you would need the newly linked databases between ICA and MOM in order to accomplish that but I doubt that they would be loading old data into it. (also it's possible I guess. Something to keep the civil muppets occupied?)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 7:53 pm

Wd40 wrote:I dont think "job market getting tougher for certain groups" is really a factor at all. The bigger factor is how the home markets of these expats are performing. For eg, last few years with US and EU in slowdown, lots of people from there look forward to work in Singapore. Now, though I guess lot of that will get reversed. I expect fewer and fewer expats wanting to come to Asia, when their home markets are doing much better.
We had this discussion before. I think you still completely misunderstand a very common western mindset, and are thinking like a local. Many (not all, but I'd bet at least half or more) of westerners that come to work here (or anywhere) aren't economic migrants like the regional natives. They're coming to Singapore partially or fully because they want to. Experience Asia, be closer to family, career growth, but not necessarily solely for economic reasons. We even see this a lot with Indians coming to Singapore back from the west; it's a lifestyle choice.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 8:41 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I dont think "job market getting tougher for certain groups" is really a factor at all. The bigger factor is how the home markets of these expats are performing. For eg, last few years with US and EU in slowdown, lots of people from there look forward to work in Singapore. Now, though I guess lot of that will get reversed. I expect fewer and fewer expats wanting to come to Asia, when their home markets are doing much better.
We had this discussion before. I think you still completely misunderstand a very common western mindset, and are thinking like a local. Many (not all, but I'd bet at least half or more) of westerners that come to work here (or anywhere) aren't economic migrants like the regional natives. They're coming to Singapore partially or fully because they want to. Experience Asia, be closer to family, career growth, but not necessarily solely for economic reasons. We even see this a lot with Indians coming to Singapore back from the west; it's a lifestyle choice.
I agree, but dont you think the trend of expats coming over to Asia increases when Asian markets are doing better than western markets? I mean we are talking about relative change in the number of expats coming to Asia. I am pretty sure, that lots of western expats in Singapore now are already considering moving back or to move to another western country now v/s say couple of years back considering that there are better opportunities to be had there than here. Not just job opportunities. Investment opportunities too. I was watching Bloomberg today and 2013 has been the best year for UK property market since 2006 and has given 8% returns, now compare this with Singapore market, 2013 is probably the ir worst year since 2008.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 8:54 pm

Wd40 wrote: I was watching Bloomberg today and 2013 has been the best year for UK property market since 2006 and has given 8% returns, now compare this with Singapore market, 2013 is probably the ir worst year since 2008.
I think it's completely separate in most cases. Most people who watch Bloomberg reports like this and use it to consider investing in property will do it regardless of where they live. e.g, live in Singapore still invest in UK.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 8:54 pm

I agree with Director. Generally the middle class European/American earns same in home country as Sg. (ignore tax for sake of comparison). Economy in home country is irrelevant. Boom and bust is inevitable (Keynes/Adam Smith/Thatcher).

So to come here, better you WANT to.

We digress, my original question remains.... .. once again data is there but often not collated/formatted/filtered but if so then seldom published.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 9:09 pm

Why does thatcher seem somehow out of place in that trio?

There was the population White paper last year with loads of graphs and pie charts..... Anything useful here ?

http://population.sg

See the "Resources" section

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:39 pm

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 4:25 pm

To the OP's question, though, the government doesn't release this information. It is considered sensitive as it might create a reaction - why more from one country than another, why so many, and so on. I've tried to get data from MOE before and they consistently refuse and say it is not available to the public.

You'd think business would need this data for planning and analysis but this is one way in which Singapore is not business-friendly.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the links, comments etc.
The Reports (URL links provided) are drafted within their restrained remit(s) are very interesting but it's the sub level detail which is sadly lacking in Singapore, which, in my humble opinion, provide the real analysis.