Singapore Expats Forum

Metal detecting how ah?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Metal detecting how ah?

Postby Max Headroom » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 8:32 am

Does anyone have any experience with metal detecting here in Singapore? Any firsthand knowledge on possible legal issues?

I've been looking online, but apart from some overseas forums, there isn't any information, nothing official I can find. Can't even find a shop that sells this kind of metal detectors.

MD is something that has always piqued my interest, particularly in our region because of its rich trading history. It's like peeking through a window to our past eh.

Or perhaps it's my amazement at the machine locating stuff(s) as if by magic.

Either way, I'd love to be able to unearth the countless relics that must be down there, make them accessible again.

Got tips anot?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Postby Steve1960 » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 9:17 am

http://www.goldclubasia.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=13350

A quick look on Google showed this and its recent. Might help.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Max Headroom » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 9:46 am

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, saw that too. That kind of MD is not really what I'm after, though. I prefer going off the beaten track, abandoned kampongs, old army camps or Singapore's outlying islands. Keen to find stuff from the past.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:52 am

Max Headroom wrote:Thanks, Steve. Yeah, saw that too. That kind of MD is not really what I'm after, though. I prefer going off the beaten track, abandoned kampongs, old army camps or Singapore's outlying islands. Keen to find stuff from the past.

doesnt' everything here belong to the govt - including the space under your house ?? :D :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 11:34 am

I had access to an inexpensive metal detector many years ago when I lived in Seletar Camp. All kinds of settlement coins and other artifacts were unearthed but that was a bad place as the ground is also fully of metal scraps and bits so you spent an inordinate amounts of time digging up nails! Having said that, we did unearth an old Japanese katana but without sheath and handle gone, also in bad shape but considering it had been buried since WWII. Not sure what happened to that though I think it was sold at the garage sale I had when I moved from there after 15 years to my current abode.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Max Headroom » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 11:34 am

Ecureilx, I'm not sure about the general land status situation, although private property is obviously off limits.

That being said, I'm not intending to keep anything I find anyway. One of my degree fields is archaeology; the objective is to make buried history available again. Donating finds to museums would be one way that could be done.

Speaking thereof, I guess I could go have a chat with a curator.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Fortan » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 2:09 pm

Not sure why I read the subject as mental detection.... :???:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 2:28 pm

Fortan wrote:Not sure why I read the subject as mental detection.... :???:

You'd get less 'beeps' from one of these in Singapore. And I reckon you'd find a lot of metal in the place you'd expect to find 'mental'. :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 3:04 pm

Max Headroom wrote:Ecureilx, I'm not sure about the general land status situation, although private property is obviously off limits.

I was thinking more in terms of you finding a gold mine .. Or Yamashita's gold (that's why many pray to the Shinto shrine .. in .. - I am told ) ..

PS: I hope not to see your photo in Sto mp one of these days :D LOL

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Max Headroom » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 4:16 pm

Actually, mention"archaeology" and most people's minds conjure up Indiana Jones adventures, complete with mysterious idols, chests of gold coins and what-nots. In fact, archaeology is dead boring stuff.

Ditto metal detection; the vast majority of "relics" found are discarded cans and their tabs, bits of foil, fishing line sinkers, screws, nails, bolts, or (if you're lucky) a contemporary coin. Yay, 50 cents!

This is why it's much more satisfying to hunt in spots that are ancient and no longer get a lot of people traffic. The stuff you find here is bound to have a much more interesting source.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Travailes » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:37 pm

I can't comment on what the legal position is in Singapore but usually you need to get permission from the land owner to metal detect. Not least out of courtesy but also to make an agreement which states what will happen in the event you find anything of value. 50/50 is usual in the event of 'treasure trove' items. Failure to do this (and get found out) might jeopardise any claim to receive any reward for the find.

There are often people down at Tanjong Beach with metal detectors and no one seems to bother them - nothing valuable - just lost coins - as the sand get replaced every 6 months !

If you have a genuine interest I know a guy who is a battlefield archaeologist who has just been commissioned by the Changi museum to undertake research here. He is often looking for help when they do digs around some of the battlefield sites and Black and Whites where soldiers were billieted. Unpaid - in case that matters ! PM me if interested.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

fishingdevil

Postby fishingdevil » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 8:47 pm

that will be the adam park project...

https://www.facebook.com/AdamParkProject?fref=ts

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Max Headroom » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 9:38 pm

Stone me, that's right next to where a mate of mine used to live. I walked by that bungalow a million times back when, played soccer on the adjacent lawn. Gee whiz, how interesting is this?

Thanks for that tip finhingdevil!