Singapore Expats

primary tenant deducting unnecessary from advance

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
raj1812

primary tenant deducting unnecessary from advance

Post by raj1812 » Thu, 02 Jan 2014 11:48 pm

Hi,
i was sharing a master bedroom with the primary tenanat who is subletting the master bedroom.
i paid 1100 in advance and due to some personal problems i have to vacate the room and accordingly gave 1 month notice.
There as no contrct made and since i m ep holder a copy was asked.
Now after i left the main tenant is deducting 200 dollars saying 120 dollars for ac service and 80 dollars for room and toilet cleaning.(although i cleaned room and toilet myself before vacating).
Although this was never communicated to me before for these deductions and i was only notified after he deposited rest advance money.
i think the main tenant is trying to cheat me as 200 dollars deduction suddenly makes no sense.
please help how to tackle this situation.
hi all.need guidance

Search By

Manoj.K

Post by Manoj.K » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 5:21 am

1. Always contract! You might spend a couple of $$$ but it saves you the heartache later.
2. Now that you are in this position.... You can request the person to reconsider & haggle to bring down the $200 to let's say $100?

Apart from the above Pt. 2 , in the absence of an agreement, there is nothing you can do - seriously.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:58 am

Manoj.K wrote:1. Always contract! You might spend a couple of $$$ but it saves you the heartache later.
2. Now that you are in this position.... You can request the person to reconsider & haggle to bring down the $200 to let's say $100?

Apart from the above Pt. 2 , in the absence of an agreement, there is nothing you can do - seriously.
if the sublet was not authorised, whatever contract can fly away fast ..

OP: you want to do what for the 200 ??

200 $ is fair, if the Main tenant is a cleanliness freak .. I know, it may sound too much, but your cost of a full clean can reach there, if you engage a cleaner to scrub and clean and make the toilet sparkling .. no you cannot do it, unless you swear you spent a whole day cleaning

forget it and move .. you have no recourse, btw, and be happ it was just 200 $ ..