Singapore Expats

Job offer in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 10:05 am

singapore eagle wrote:zzm9980 is being way too negative here.
Maybe it seems that way, but mostly as a counter-point to OP's "Singapore is a heaven on Earth! (that I haven't visited yet, but I went to Vietnam and they're only a few hours apart and some Singaporeans there told me I'd like it)" POV. Singapore is fine if you enjoy a slower and more relaxed lifestyle (with a slight bit of stress in the air), but it is *not* a "hustling and bustling place" that can be compared to London or any other world city.
singapore eagle wrote: The anti-foreigner thing is a complete red-herring if you're a white westerner, in my opinion. Especially if you're in a senior position at work.
This matches my own personal experience also, but not the overall experience of other foreigners I know, or numerous caucasians on this board. It surprised me too when I first started hearing these stories, but plenty I know tell me them.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 4:36 pm

nbe wrote:You seem intent on turning this thread into an argument. I am asking questions but such has been the levels of negativity I am having to temper them by trying to find similarities with what I already know. That's only normal.

Observation: You guys all seem to hate living there.
For many of us Singapore is love and hate relation, but all the negativity you think you receive is because you are clearly over-enthusiastic and you have no idea what living in Singapore is really like.
No, it's not that bad including the anti-Caucasian sentiments but what people said in this thread is generally true. Have you ever tried to run long distance in a wet steam sauna?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 9:32 am

x9200 wrote:
nbe wrote:You seem intent on turning this thread into an argument. I am asking questions but such has been the levels of negativity I am having to temper them by trying to find similarities with what I already know. That's only normal.

Observation: You guys all seem to hate living there.
For many of us Singapore is love and hate relation, but all the negativity you think you receive is because you are clearly over-enthusiastic and you have no idea what living in Singapore is really like.
No, it's not that bad including the anti-Caucasian sentiments but what people said in this thread is generally true. Have you ever tried to run long distance in a wet steam sauna?

Would do anything for midnight/early morning run.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 9:36 am

x9200 wrote:Have you ever tried to run long distance in a wet steam sauna?
I have tried playing capoeira in ridiculously humid conditions. Lasted only half as much (maybe less) as I would have with lower humidity.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 9:44 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:ZZM, I am not talking about the Gahmen welcome, lah. I am talking about the general public welcoming. Malaysian Chinese and Indo Chinese are also hated , if you read some of the other forums. Japanese are worshiped and are supposed to be the best tenants, Australians are supposed to be the worst tenants if you read the condosingapore forum.
Oh, ok. The Malaysian thing I don't know. Of my 'local' friends, a huge chunk are very intertwined with Malaysia. Wife from KL, cousins, aunts, grannies, etc, all there. Going back and forth constantly. Makes sense really. Reminds me of Mexican families in Southern California with Mexico. I can't sense any hate or animosity towards them, nor could I see how given how many have close relatives currently there.

The Indo Chinese, maybe. I know a few, and they seem a bit more cloistered off in their own cliques. My anecdotal impression is they're much more seen as all filthy rich, often through corruption.
true

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 9:53 am

It's a pure physics. If air has higher humidity it can take less moisture from the skin (it takes it slower). The body cools down by evaporating water in sweat. Exercising generates a lot of heat and the body can not cope with it as the usual effective way of dissipating it via sweating simply does not work in this climate.

If OP needs a practical example of the level of humidity around, he may want to know that people switch here the aircon on to quicker dry floors after wet cleaning. It appears counter-logical, right?

nbe

Post by nbe » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:59 pm

Not every day is 100% humidity there. I've done 10KM runs before in >85% humidity.

Bit confused how I ask some questions about a job offer and trying to ascertain whether the company's worries about working visas are founded or unfounded... has now morphed into a discussion about weather and the size of Singapore relative to London. But okay :lol: I never leave the borders of Greater London anyway (other than to visit my parents) and, as shown, Singapore is basically the same size as Greater London.

You guys all seem to neglect the fact that Singapore is brilliantly located in the center of Asia and so half the world is on your door step for the price of a cheap flight. Do you know what it means to book off a 4 day weekend over there? :D

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 1:22 am

I love those maps - especially zzm's. The fact that he overlaid Singapore on top of Milton Keynes seems somehow appropriate, given the latter's reputation as a shiny new town that is somewhat, er... dull.

Hey nbe, as you'll have noticed, many of us regulars on here sometimes come across as jaded and cynical, but we're just trying to give you some real-world feedback on what expat life in Singapore is really like. You're correct, it's not 100% humidity every day, but it rarely goes below ~70% and most people find it wears them down after a while. After nearly a decade I still find it uncomfortable, but if you're a humidity lover then it's definitely a good place for you from that point of view.

I don't think any of us have forgotten about the location or the travel opportunities and I'm sure most of us take advantage of them as frequently as our schedules allow. There are (still) some great things about living in Singapore, so don't be put off if you want to try it. But please don't expect every day to be a bed of roses either as there are also some mind-numbing and irritating aspects to life on the little red dot.

If you have the chance, I'd seriously suggest to visit the place before going ahead with a permanent move, as it might not exactly match the image painted by the Singaporeans you met on holiday. And if you decide to go for a transfer here, good luck and I hope you enjoy the experience.
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 9:48 am

nbe wrote: You guys all seem to neglect the fact that Singapore is brilliantly located in the center of Asia and so half the world is on your door step for the price of a cheap flight. Do you know what it means to book off a 4 day weekend over there? :D
I would't say half the world, but yes South-East Asia (At least Malaysia/Thailand/Indo) is all a 'cheap and short flight' away. And if you enjoy warmth and humidity as much as you claim, then you'll love it.

The rest of Asia, Japan, China, Korea, etc? Those are all 5-8 hour flights, and not quite as cheap. Don't get fooled by the distances. I fly to our Tokyo office often as i'm the "local" guy. But my 7 hour flight is only 2 hours shorter than the 9 hours from California, and costs just about the same price.
Mi Amigo wrote: I'd seriously suggest to visit the place before going ahead with a permanent move, as it might not exactly match the image painted by the Singaporeans you met on holiday.
And I think that's all that most of us are suggesting. We're just giving a reality check to the guy who fell in love with the girl only by seeing her online dating profile and then hearing her auntie tell him about about her. :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:12 am

nbe wrote:Not every day is 100% humidity there. I've done 10KM runs before in >85% humidity.

Bit confused how I ask some questions about a job offer and trying to ascertain whether the company's worries about working visas are founded or unfounded... has now morphed into a discussion about weather and the size of Singapore relative to London.
This is like one of your main, initial points: Some great weather so I can focus on fitness and exercise, whilst still working and playing hard.
Singapore is not too good for extensive outdoor exercising for vast majority of people. If you are that different, ok, fair enough but regulars on this forum have rather limited experience with cyborgs and that may be the source of confusion.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:31 am

x9200 wrote: whilst still working and playing hard.
And the maps help point out that if you plan to play hard, you'll be 'playing hard' in the same few bars and clubs in the same 1 or 2 spots, over and over.

nbe

Post by nbe » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 8:37 am

Okay well I passed all the mandatory technical interviews today (5 hours worth). So the job offer is truly on the table now. Due to Skype chat with their man already in Singapore this week. Should be an interesting week.

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:07 pm

nbe wrote:Okay well I passed all the mandatory technical interviews today (5 hours worth). So the job offer is truly on the table now. Due to Skype chat with their man already in Singapore this week. Should be an interesting week.
So u`ll be terminating your lease and utilities, packing and sorting out everything else in one or two days? No notice given to current employer?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 1:23 pm

nbe wrote:Okay well I passed all the mandatory technical interviews today (5 hours worth). So the job offer is truly on the table now. Due to Skype chat with their man already in Singapore this week. Should be an interesting week.
Congrats! Key thing is now to get an offer that will let you live comfortably here.

nbe

Post by nbe » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 4:07 pm

noskich wrote:
So u`ll be terminating your lease and utilities, packing and sorting out everything else in one or two days? No notice given to current employer?
Bit hasty?

I own my London flat, so nothing to terminate there. And of course not, things will take a month or two at least to sort out. Plus I've not accepted the offer yet... waiting to discuss the details with their man setting it all up.

:)