Singapore Expats

Can I apply for Citizenship if divorce is going on?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sumar

Can I apply for Citizenship if divorce is going on?

Post by sumar » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 3:05 pm

Hi All,
I got my PR 6 years before. Now I am going to apply for my citizneship. My question here is in the application there is a column to fill my spouse details. But I have applied for divorce and now it is on the process. in that case should i give her details in the form or shouldnt? Actually i dont want to give any of her details as I went for divorce already. Please advice me what shall I do now?

thanks,
Sumar.
Last edited by sumar on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 3:24 pm

I think you should wait til your divorce is finalized. If you obtained PR as a family unit it's going to be tricky I think. You're not likely to get SC in the current climate anyways.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 3:30 pm

Is she a local girl? Are there any children involved?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sumar

Post by sumar » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 3:39 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for your quick reply. She is an Indian nationality and she is not a PR here in Singapore. We have no childrens. When I apply for citizenship can I submit my diovrce case file together with the application? Thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks,
Sumar.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 5:13 pm

If you have listed her on your application (family members) but not for PR, it might be a good idea to at least inform them of the impending divorce. It shouldn't make any difference in the application as you will probably be rejected anyway for not waiting and including her on the original application. Actually, if you have any chance at all, it would be because you are divorcing her (less collateral baggage).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers