Singapore Expats

PR approved profile.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Leafable

PR approved profile.

Post by Leafable » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:08 am

If this help or give some wannabe hope. I doubt it.

Just received the approval in principle letter from the immigration.

Family profile:
Male (the servant): 34 of age BBC in Art & Design field
Female (the governor): 33 of age BBC in Finance field
Male (the big boy): 6 of age BBC
Female (the diva): 3 of age BBC
we all been in the red dot for 18 months
Combine salary in the range of S$11-12k monthly modern slave.

The big boy will attend the local school next year. Can't afford the so call hi-society International School.

We not going for the formality process. I think we stick with EP after reliasing the implication of financial burden after signing the dot as a PR. Having said that however that doesn't mean that we looking for short term here. We can see our self here for the next 10-20 years until they decide to axe us.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:16 am

What is BBC and what financial implication are you talking about, if you take up the PR? :?

Leafable

Post by Leafable » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:44 am

Wd40 wrote:What is BBC and what financial implication are you talking about, if you take up the PR? :?
British Born Chinese

20% CPF. Which mean I can't decide where my saving going to invest. Employers will cancel our private full medication cover. Can't rely on the so call Medisave according to my PR colleague. We can't drive Malaysia car in Singapore if we live in Malaysia.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:52 am

Oh so you have a British passport, yeah I guess, it doesnt make much sense to apply for SPR and then go down the route of citizenship. But I wonder, why did you take all the trouble to apply for it? Just wanted to test them is it?

Leafable

Post by Leafable » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:53 am

I have to say well done for their efficiency. Only took them 3 months for the conclusion. This is why I like Singapore.

Wonder if I can just sign the big boy up on his own. We want him to go to NS to get his balls toughen up.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:58 am

If you like Singapore and planning to stay here for 10 years, I would say take up the PR. Dont be myopic about the short term financial costs. Having PR, means it gives you flexibility for job change. You can buy a condo or buy a HDB 3 years later and pay 10% lesser ABSD compared to foreigners and hence save a lot on rent.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 12:39 pm

Leafable wrote:
Wonder if I can just sign the big boy up on his own. We want him to go to NS to get his balls toughen up.
\:D/ =D>
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 3:38 pm

WD40 makes good points. You also need to consider that the employer makes contributions to your CPF too. I'm not entirely sure what happens to your CPF if you were to leave, but I'd imagine you can draw your accumulated funds out. Well worth checking.

So you're SGn PR now but considering moving to Malaysia? Curious.

Are you asking this behalf of someone else? Some of yours clipped turns of phrase sound distinctly local to me!

zip9999

Post by zip9999 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 4:32 pm

Congrtas on approval, i have to admit i am a bit surprised how quickly it took. We have been pending close to 8 months now after applying with our son, and with combined base salary of well over 50k/month.
Our profiles are:
Dual US/east european citizenships for our son (3) and I, wife prc passport, we both lived in US for a over 10 years, both with higher degrees from top US unis, married for over 6 years.
Son born in US and is on the application. Been in SG for 2 yrs at the time of application.

I suppose the stories of Singapore trying to attract ppl in creative industries must be true as otherwise i'd say the length of stay and salary are quite borderline or "below" the recently rumored standards on these boards!

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 4:35 pm

Ironically I know people keen for PR so they can pick up CPF, but put off by the NS obligation for their male child. Your thinking is exact opposite!

Leafable

Post by Leafable » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 4:50 pm

Wd40 wrote:Oh so you have a British passport, yeah I guess, it doesnt make much sense to apply for SPR and then go down the route of citizenship. But I wonder, why did you take all the trouble to apply for it? Just wanted to test them is it?
Tell me about it. The governor want to change job. She find it hard with an EP.

Leafable

Post by Leafable » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 4:57 pm

Wd40 wrote:If you like Singapore and planning to stay here for 10 years, I would say take up the PR. Dont be myopic about the short term financial costs. Having PR, means it gives you flexibility for job change. You can buy a condo or buy a HDB 3 years later and pay 10% lesser ABSD compared to foreigners and hence save a lot on rent.
This is the only attraction for me other half. Not really interested the property here. They cost an arm and a leg only last for 99 years. What a rip off.

Leafable

Post by Leafable » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 5:10 pm

JR8 wrote:WD40 makes good points. You also need to consider that the employer makes contributions to your CPF too. I'm not entirely sure what happens to your CPF if you were to leave, but I'd imagine you can draw your accumulated funds out. Well worth checking.

So you're SGn PR now but considering moving to Malaysia? Curious.

Are you asking this behalf of someone else? Some of yours clipped turns of phrase sound distinctly local to me!
Don't get me wrong the CPF is dock from your pay.

Rightly so, just like back in London. Sold the London 1 bedroom move to outskirt for a bigger land. 2 hours commuting each way is a norm to us. We've got poor man pay here.

Is that why I've got the result for blending in well then. :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 5:26 pm

Leafable wrote:Don't get me wrong the CPF is dock from your pay.

Rightly so, just like back in London. Sold the London 1 bedroom move to outskirt for a bigger land. 2 hours commuting each way is a norm to us. We've got poor man pay here.

The CPF is 'dock' issit? Does that happen down by the harbour? :)

Outskirts of London, 2hrs e/w? Blimey I worked with someone who commuted to London, on a daily basis from Bath about 100 miles to the west, and it took her less time than that.

You've 'got the result' of speaking English like one else I know who is British born, that's for sure. Hence my passing curiosity!

Leafable

Post by Leafable » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 5:50 pm

JR8 wrote:
Leafable wrote:Don't get me wrong the CPF is dock from your pay.

The CPF is 'dock' issit? Does that happen down by the harbour? :)

Outskirts of London, 2hrs e/w? Blimey I worked with someone who commuted to London, on a daily basis from Bath about 100 miles to the west, and it took her less time than that.

You've 'got the result' of speaking English like one else I know who is British born, that's for sure. Hence my passing curiosity!
Well done to Great Western Train. We drive daily thats why. The train ticket is a lot DEARER than Singapore remember. Both of our yearly train ticket will cost us a new Citroen C1 every year. Beside I've good free parking in Zone 2, Bloody brilliant.