Singapore Expats

PR approved profile.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 6:29 pm

'Great Western Trains'
'Both of our yearly train tickets'
'Besides I've good free parking'

I've never encountered a born-Brit that speaks in this way. Like having a reverse-lisp :). Maybe the 'S' key on your keyboard has broken :lol:

Leafable

Post by Leafable » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 6:32 pm

JR8 wrote:'Great Western Trains'
'Both of our yearly train tickets'
'Besides I've good free parking'

I've never encountered a born-Brit that speaks in this way. Like having a reverse-lisp :). Maybe the 'S' key on your keyboard has broken :lol:
Nah. Didn't do well at school thats all. :D

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 6:49 pm

Leafable wrote:
Wd40 wrote:If you like Singapore and planning to stay here for 10 years, I would say take up the PR. Dont be myopic about the short term financial costs. Having PR, means it gives you flexibility for job change. You can buy a condo or buy a HDB 3 years later and pay 10% lesser ABSD compared to foreigners and hence save a lot on rent.
This is the only attraction for me other half. Not really interested the property here. They cost an arm and a leg only last for 99 years. What a rip off.
The rent here is also a bigger rip off. If you are here for 10 years, you are better off buying a property and then selling it off before you go, doesn't matter if it is 99 years, you only need it for 10 years.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 7:10 pm

zip9999 wrote:Congrtas on approval, i have to admit i am a bit surprised how quickly it took. We have been pending close to 8 months now after applying with our son, and with combined base salary of well over 50k/month.
Our profiles are:
Dual US/east european citizenships for our son (3) and I, wife prc passport, we both lived in US for a over 10 years, both with higher degrees from top US unis, married for over 6 years.
Son born in US and is on the application. Been in SG for 2 yrs at the time of application.

I suppose the stories of Singapore trying to attract ppl in creative industries must be true as otherwise i'd say the length of stay and salary are quite borderline or "below" the recently rumored standards on these boards!
Recent anecdotes makes it look like racial/ethnic composition have a lot more to do with it than income or male heir. Your wife's PRC and/or your Eastern European may be working against you. There was a recent young American with Georgian wife who made a lot less money than you, but was still at 'the acknowledged threshold' north of P1 income. Also had a son, and they were rejected.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 7:13 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Leafable wrote:
Wd40 wrote:If you like Singapore and planning to stay here for 10 years, I would say take up the PR. Dont be myopic about the short term financial costs. Having PR, means it gives you flexibility for job change. You can buy a condo or buy a HDB 3 years later and pay 10% lesser ABSD compared to foreigners and hence save a lot on rent.
This is the only attraction for me other half. Not really interested the property here. They cost an arm and a leg only last for 99 years. What a rip off.
The rent here is also a bigger rip off. If you are here for 10 years, you are better off buying a property and then selling it off before you go, doesn't matter if it is 99 years, you only need it for 10 years.
I got the impression he lived in Johor?

zip9999

Post by zip9999 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 7:58 pm

Zzm, thank you indeed i saw the post you mentioned. Who knows, it seems like the process changes a lot from year to year, but anecdotally i havent seen or met many (in fact any) westerners not married to a singaporean who received an approval in 2013.

I think i tick most boxes, like education, son on application, PEP and pay lvl etc. we seem to not be a preferred ethnic group but i think we are not in an "impossible" group either.

Last year i saw some indian and western european colleagues in banking get prs after less than 2 years here and no male children. (But in both cases pep lvl incomes).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 9:19 pm

zip9999 wrote:Zzm, thank you indeed i saw the post you mentioned. Who knows, it seems like the process changes a lot from year to year, but anecdotally i havent seen or met many (in fact any) westerners not married to a singaporean who received an approval in 2013.

I think i tick most boxes, like education, son on application, PEP and pay lvl etc. we seem to not be a preferred ethnic group but i think we are not in an "impossible" group either.

Last year i saw some indian and western european colleagues in banking get prs after less than 2 years here and no male children. (But in both cases pep lvl incomes).
Well good luck, and do keep us posted. It'll be interesting if you don't get it. Assuming your income wasn't a typo (50k/month combined base) then you may past the "we'll let the African Warlord Russian Gun-runner 'with ICC indictment about to drop' in" level.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:19 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
Leafable wrote: This is the only attraction for me other half. Not really interested the property here. They cost an arm and a leg only last for 99 years. What a rip off.
Good catch! But I wonder how he managed to pull it off, unless he subscribed to the MM2H scheme.

zip9999

Post by zip9999 » Sun, 29 Dec 2013 12:16 am

"we'll let the African Warlord Russian Gun-runner 'with ICC indictment about to drop' in" level.[/quote]

Tbh banking/law/consulting salaries are pretty up there these days so not a typo and both of us are working. Having said that i see plenty of ang mos of various shades in these fields who are either pending for many months or received pr after 3rd or forth appeal.

But i guess these industries are not en vogue at the moment whilst creative stuff like that of the originator of this thread is far more "in". Who knows, time will tell. We are pretty keen to make this place our permanent home so can only hope for the best. And as has been pointed out here many a time the real components of the secret formula beyond ethnicity are not obvious, which i think is a shame. I do appreciate that it risks tailored applications but at the same time will encourage far more self selection by discouraging obvious loosing cases from applying en masse. Just my 2 cents..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 29 Dec 2013 8:06 am

zip9999 wrote: Tbh banking/law/consulting salaries are pretty up there these days so not a typo and both of us are working. Having said that i see plenty of ang mos of various shades in these fields who are either pending for many months or received pr after 3rd or forth appeal.

But i guess these industries are not en vogue at the moment whilst creative stuff like that of the originator of this thread is far more "in". Who knows, time will tell. We are pretty keen to make this place our permanent home so can only hope for the best. And as has been pointed out here many a time the real components of the secret formula beyond ethnicity are not obvious, which i think is a shame. I do appreciate that it risks tailored applications but at the same time will encourage far more self selection by discouraging obvious loosing cases from applying en masse. Just my 2 cents..
No, I understand those salaries are honestly not that unrealistic for a working professional couple. It was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Expect a bunch of PMs though from random forum lurkers asking "OMG WHERE DO YOU MAKE SO MUCH CAN YOU HIRE ME?! :)"

I think more than their profession (which probably DID help), it was ethnicity. Overseas Chinese is the preferred. Anywhere except PRC, but especially Malaysian. Given the hints the OP is living in Johor, I suspect he's British-born Malaysian Chinese, so a huge huge advantage. A bunch of white-shirted men will probably personally deliver a citizenship application in a year if he takes that PR. :P

Leafable

Post by Leafable » Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:00 am

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: The rent here is also a bigger rip off. If you are here for 10 years, you are better off buying a property and then selling it off before you go, doesn't matter if it is 99 years, you only need it for 10 years.
Good catch! But I wonder how he managed to pull it off, unless he subscribed to the MM2H scheme.
Just put the kids in the International School. Student guardians visa. Don't need MM2H or any other malarkey visa.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 29 Dec 2013 12:38 pm

Leafable wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I got the impression he lived in Johor?
Just put the kids in the International School. Student guardians visa. Don't need MM2H or any other malarkey visa.
I like you.

Also I concur that PR is probably not in your long term economic interests.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:05 am

Agree, if you are planning to be here for 10-20years, you are better off buying a property. If you are buying private properties, there are freehold. Also the CPF contributions here are way more than back in the UK whereby it is a miserly 3% contribution by the employers

zip9999

Post by zip9999 » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:24 pm

Just as a reff point, we got "approved" status online, looking fwd to the letter.. dets of our profile are above. Thank you to the moderators, this chat has been hugely helpful. It took us over 8 months, we applied end of april.
Best of luck to everyone pending.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 5:51 pm

Congratulations zip9999. I reckon that's a bit of a relief, in a manner of speaking.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers