Singapore Expats

Dual Citizenship, do I have to serve NS

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
bangla_man

Dual Citizenship, do I have to serve NS

Post by bangla_man » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 3:52 pm

If Wikipedia is correct, people who holds dual citizenship does not have to serve NS, but have to renounce one of them upon reaching the age of 21.

My case is like this:

My parents and I were of xxx nationality. One of my parents and I joined Singapore Citizenship. The other did not and still hold a Singapore Permanent Resident status.

Does this case quality for dual citizenship? If yes, can I not join NS upon finishing JC, but carrying on my studies with a local university? Upon turning 21, I would renounce xxx nationality but apply for deferment from NS with university studies as reason. And upon finishing university, make the final decision on whether to serve NS or emigrate to another country?
Last edited by bangla_man on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:07 pm

Of course you will still have to do NS upon reaching 18. No way of getting out of it as you are a Singapore Citizen. After completing your 2 years NS and by the age of 21 yoour will have to decide which Citizenship to retain.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:08 pm

Dual citizenship or Single citizenship or PR, all must do NS. THEN, upon reaching 21 can renounce. You are stuck. You have to do NS. You can defer to finish JC but you cannot defer to do University. Sorry.

Oh, don't believe everything you read in Wiki. That or your reading comprehension leave something to be desired.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bangla_man

Post by bangla_man » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:11 pm

Saint wrote:Of course you will still have to do NS upon reaching 18. No way of getting out of it as you are a Singapore Citizen. After completing your 2 years NS and by the age of 21 yoour will have to decide which Citizenship to retain.
lol...would double confirm with a legal advisor...

anyways, I suppose I can't quit Singapore citizenship until I reach 18, even if I quit now, there would be no way for me to stay in SG for studies...have to blame on that one parent who made me join...lol...
Last edited by bangla_man on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Dual Citizenship

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:12 pm

bangla_man wrote:If Wikipedia is correct, people who holds dual citizenship does not have to serve NS, but have to renounce one of them upon reaching the age of 21.

My case is like this:

My parents and I were of xxx nationality. One of my parents and I joined Singapore Citizenship. The other did not and still hold a Singapore Permanent Resident status.

Does this case quality for dual citizenship? If yes, can I not join NS upon finishing JC, but carrying on my studies with a local university? Upon turning 21, I would renounce xxx nationality but apply for deferment from NS with university studies as reason. And upon finishing university, make the final decision on whether to serve NS or emigrate to another country?
Your only option is to run away from Singapore using your other citizenship.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:15 pm

bangla_man wrote:
Saint wrote:Of course you will still have to do NS upon reaching 18. No way of getting out of it as you are a Singapore Citizen. After completing your 2 years NS and by the age of 21 yoour will have to decide which Citizenship to retain.
lol...would double confirm with a legal advisor...

anyways, I suppose I can't quit Singapore citizenship until I reach 18, even if I quit now, there would be no way for me to stay in SG for studies...have to blame on that one parent who made me join...lol...
Sorry, but you cannot quite Singapore Citizenship until you reach 21, even then, you cannot renounce until you have finished NS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bangla_man

Post by bangla_man » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:31 pm

What if I got accepted by one of the local university's medicine faculty? Remembered asking a few local-trained medical consultants and surgeons and they said you don't have to serve NS until you finish your studies in medicine. But I am not sure if you can delay the entire NS or just need to go BMT. If you emigrate from Singapore to your country of your choice (alone) after medicine training, how much do you need to forfeit as 'bond'? Would my parents be affected by my actions and received harsh treatments from the government? For example, would one of my parents' PR status not be renewed on purpose and my parents forcefully separated?
Last edited by bangla_man on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:43 pm

I suggest you take your time and instead of looking for the answer you want to hear, you use the search function in the Strictly Speaking forum and have a good long read. Virtually every permutation of chicken NS dodger has been discussed at one point or another in that forum. Good luck as if you are over the age of 13 you are not going to be able to get out of NS before you renounce citizenship. full stop.

Start reading near the bottom of page one. Actually read the entire thread.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic98844.html

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:45 pm

bangla_man wrote:What if I got accepted by one of the local university's medicine faculty? Remembered asking a few local-trained medical consultants and surgeons and they said you don't have to serve NS until you finish your studies in medicine. But I am not sure if you can delay the entire NS or just need to go BMT. If you emigrate from Singapore to your country of your choice (alone) after medicine training, how much do you need to forfeit as 'bond'? Would my parents be affected by my actions and received harsh treatments from the government? For example, would one of my parents' PR status not be renewed on purpose and my parents forcefully separated?
From what I have read here on the forums over time, nothing will save you from serving NS after JC, short of leaving country when/before you are 18. Since you can always study after you finish NS, it is not a valid reason for deferment.

Know however, that if you decide to run away, there will be serious consequences for yourself (you can never return to Singapore to work or study) and for your parents (forfeiture of the bond among other things). And I would think that your parent's PR would also be in jeopardy.

Just serve the NS, anything else would make your and your parents' life very difficult.

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Re: Dual Citizenship

Post by iloverice » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:47 pm

bangla_man wrote:If Wikipedia is correct, people who holds dual citizenship does not have to serve NS, but have to renounce one of them upon reaching the age of 21.

My case is like this:

It's a really good plan indeed :o
I talked to one of the medical student recently, he told me that no deferment for him (that's the reason he's few years older compare to the girls in his class). So....

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 4:52 pm

So, let me get this straight: you have, directly and indirectly, benefited from Singaporean citizenship. Moreover, you wish to continue benefiting from that status for the remainder of your studies. You have had your cake, and now, of course, you want to eat it as well, if necessary by absconding back to your birth country as soon as you finish you degree.

You want to assess risk, to you and your parents - I'm not at all sure that anyone can guarantee what will happen. Think of the worse case scenario: do you really want to risk that?

I realise you are frustrated. And I realise you are angry because you feel you are being pushed into something significant that you had no control over. Instead of focusing so much energy on getting off from your duties, you should just embrace the fact you are doing it, and make the most of the situation. The two years will be 10 times harder if you fight it.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 5:09 pm

Needless to say, he did try to delete all his posts but we've managed to salvage it. So he won't be addressing any more posts here.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 6:21 pm

bangla_man wrote:What if I got accepted by one of the local university's medicine faculty? Remembered asking a few local-trained medical consultants and surgeons and they said you don't have to serve NS until you finish your studies in medicine. But I am not sure if you can delay the entire NS or just need to go BMT. If you emigrate from Singapore to your country of your choice (alone) after medicine training...
you can defer after a a short stint in OCS (not BMT), but usually enjoyed only by bonded (LSA) cadets and/or NSFs bound for singapore med schools. you'll get out in time to start school, so you'll have to be called up for BMT at the right time (eg, scholar/jc batch).

the reason is because they don't have sufficient doctors in SAF and they will want the graduates back ASAP to complete OCS (MOCC) and be deployed.

so it also helps if you already have your med school acceptance letter by the time you are mid-way through BMT. SAF will do their best to entice you to sign up for the LSA...

btw, you'll need an exit permit to go study overseas, even if you use your other passport and even after full time NS. it's not difficult to get but compliance is a little annoying.

if you intend to work in singapore (i know this is difficult to plan now), studying locally may be best because FMGs tend to face a lot of problems...

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:24 pm

And hope he is chinese, or no hope of studying medicine at NUS

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 4:41 pm

katbh wrote:And hope he is chinese, or no hope of studying medicine at NUS
Seriously? That's so disappointing to hear.