Singapore Expats

Beware of Tiger Radler beer

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Beware of Tiger Radler beer

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:28 am

This is a new lemon flavor "beer" from Tiger, I picked up from supermarket yesterday. Big mistake. It tastes like sprite and not like beer at all and worst thing it has only 2% alcohol and costs the same as the regular beer :x

http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle/fo ... d-beer-mix

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:16 am

I saw some Tiger girls outside i12 Katong pushing this last week. I didn't understand why they had a giant lemon on display. Now I do!

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:19 am

I accidentally tasted it the other night. Grim.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:39 am

Tiger beer here is already bad enough.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:41 am

I won't drink Tiger. Anchor can, Tiger cannot.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:46 am

the lynx wrote:Tiger beer here is already bad enough.
I like Tiger! :D

Harry's made a big mistake when they moved away from Tiger and Guinness. All their bars seem to be pretty empty these days. Well all except the one behind OT. :wink:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:50 am

bgd wrote:
the lynx wrote:Tiger beer here is already bad enough.
I like Tiger! :D

Harry's made a big mistake when they moved away from Tiger and Guinness. All their bars seem to be pretty empty these days. Well all except the one behind OT. :wink:
Don't get me wrong. Tiger is actually tasty but only when you're out of Singapore. Just like how Stella tastes better here than in Belgium where it came from, and Guinness too (in Dublin). I could go on with other examples of such beers but please feel free to disagree.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:04 pm

the lynx wrote:
Don't get me wrong. Tiger is actually tasty but only when you're out of Singapore. Just like how Stella tastes better here than in Belgium where it came from, and Guinness too (in Dublin). I could go on with other examples of such beers but please feel free to disagree.
Oh I have to disagree with that. :-)

The best Stella I have had was in Brussels after a particularly hot day doing the tourist thing. So good I had 6 of them. Boy was I disappointed when I got back to London and tried the local Stella. Here I can’t drink the stuff. No problem with the taste it’s the hangover that follows which I can’t take. Much worse than Tiger.;-)

Guinness in Dublin, and Ireland generally, is first rate. Can’t say I’ve really sampled it here. It certainly didn’t travel well to London but was superb in Moscow. Go figure!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:48 pm

Sounds like Shandy Bass!
nutnut

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 12:54 pm

I love Stella, I always pick it up when I am coming from vacation, at changi airport duty free. Its the only place where Stella and Tiger are priced the same. $5.90 for 3 cans, IIRC.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Beware of Tiger Radler beer

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 1:25 pm

Wd40 wrote:This is a new lemon flavor "beer" from Tiger, I picked up from supermarket yesterday. Big mistake. It tastes like sprite and not like beer at all and worst thing it has only 2% alcohol and costs the same as the regular beer :x

http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle/fo ... d-beer-mix
Have to completely disagree. I love the new Tiger Radler, but it should be a bit cheaper than their beer for sure. It's a beer mix, so you probably shouldn't expect it to have more alcohol and taste like beer - just as you won't expect breezers to taste like rum and have 40% alcohol ;)

Then again, I am from Germany and well used to beer mixes :P

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 2:57 pm

I am not saying Tiger Radler is bad. Its probably good as a substitute for a cold drink. But I was disappointed, because I thought it was beer and then it didn't taste like beer nor did it give the necessary effect. Its my mistake, I should have read the alcohol content on the can, before buying. Just wanted to warn people from getting shocked like me.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 3:07 pm

Wd40 wrote:I am not saying Tiger Radler is bad. Its probably good as a substitute for a cold drink. But I was disappointed, because I thought it was beer and then it didn't taste like beer nor did it give the necessary effect. Its my mistake, I should have read the alcohol content on the can, before buying. Just wanted to warn people from getting shocked like me.
They did that to fool Injuns so that they won't get drunk easily. :twisted:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 3:28 pm

Radler is the German word for shandy. I.e. the drink is (typically) half beer and half lemonade.

It's quite nice on a very hot day as it can be light and refreshing. You need to serve it very cold to cut the sweetness out of the lemonade.

It's also often what younger children in England are weaned onto alcohol via... i.e. sit down for a BBQ in the gardens, the adults have beer and wine, the children juice, lemonade or shandy ('as you're now 11, and have been well behaved all week you can have a shandy if you'd like one' lol).

Cheeky of Tiger to use a German word for it. Even in England 99% of people wouldn't know what radler meant.

p.s. Still let's face it, it can't taste worse than Tiger...
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/727/2176

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 4:23 pm

It doesn't taste like shandy. It tastes of cheap lemon pop.