Singapore Expats Forum

30 F Indian-American TCK

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
Write30

30 F Indian-American TCK

Postby Write30 » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 6:48 pm

I'm Indian-American but travelled all over the world. Since I grew up abroad, my sense of culture and identity is very unique and I feel like I am a blend of both the East and the West.

I consider myself more of an American or Westernized because that is how I grew up. I respect and value my culture of origin and Indian heritage but have no ties to India at all. Yet I dont feel like I fit in fully with the mainstream American culture.

Can anyone else relate to this? It's a strange life. Only other TCKs can relate.

Anyways, I'm new to Singapore and looking to hang out. I like to explore the city, salsa dance, go out and I love writing and reading. I love exploring, traveling and learning about new cultures and ideas.

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 2:00 pm

What is TCK? I know about ABCD(American born confused desi)

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pisceangirl » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 2:09 pm

Short for Third Culture Kid!

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 3:16 pm

Dot or feather Indian? I assume dot now but for some reason figured you meant Native American by your posting title.

transformers

Fellow TCK here.

Postby transformers » Mon, 23 Dec 2013 10:10 am

It would be great to get in touch. Here's my email address: kelim21@hotmail.com.

transformers

Fellow TCK here.

Postby transformers » Mon, 23 Dec 2013 10:17 am

It would be great to get in touch. Here's my email address: kelim21@hotmail.com.

Groschat

TCK too

Postby Groschat » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 10:03 pm

Hi there, I can totally relate to this!
I was born in China and grew up in Japan and Singapore. Always feel that "Where are you from?" is a million dollar question that is so hard to answer! :P

Would love to meet fellow TCKs! :)

Write30

Postby Write30 » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 5:06 am

Lolz at the feather. As a kid I thought it'd be cool to be an Indian and to be in a tribe, wear feathers, live in a tent. You know how very young children convince themselves something is true when it isn't. I was only 3yrs old and I convinced myself that I was Indian and made up my own tribe and was telling people that. My parents tried to explain to me "yes we're Indians but from India." Lolz

"Where are you from" is a tricky question to answer

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 3:27 pm

Write30 wrote:Lolz at the feather. As a kid I thought it'd be cool to be an Indian and to be in a tribe, wear feathers, live in a tent. You know how very young children convince themselves something is true when it isn't. I was only 3yrs old and I convinced myself that I was Indian and made up my own tribe and was telling people that. My parents tried to explain to me "yes we're Indians but from India." Lolz

"Where are you from" is a tricky question to answer

Try growing up as a white boy in Papua New Guinea (PNGMK = PNG Missionary Kid).

stereotactic

Postby stereotactic » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 7:33 pm

I am the 5th Generation Indian Kid! But its interesting to learn about how the cross cultures have pollinated and changed your outlook.
The sum of many a perfection!

beedao
Regular
Regular

multi-nation-family

Postby beedao » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:45 am

I was born in Vietnam; my grandparents migrated to Vietnam from China many years ago. So, Im Chinese Vietnamese. Interestingly enough, my husband was born in US, his parents are from Taiwan, and this makes him a Chinese American.

We love Singapore and we sort of settle in here.

So we always wonder what will our kids tell people when they’re asked “where are you ACTUALLY from?”
Dream what you want to dream; Go where you want to go; Be what you want to be; Because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do!