Singapore Expats

Cost of living for a single person in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
rajatagrawal

Cost of living for a single person in Singapore

Post by rajatagrawal » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 7:02 pm

Hi people,

I am looking for an answer to my confusion which is on relocating to Singapore for one or two years. I am from India and is being offered SGD 4000 including everything except PF. I am single and vegetarian. I do not booze regularly but sometimes. I read many posts about the cost of living in Singapore but they were old. I just wanna know what could be the cost for renting a house (HBD or condo) and which one would be better for a single person?

In addition to that also would like to know the expenses for traveling, internet, and food. I would appreciate your replies.

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 8:03 pm

If you opt to rent a room only, in an HDB Flat or condo, it will set you back between $600 (no aircon - HDB common bedroom) to $1500 (Condo with aircon). HDB Master Bedroom (toilet in suite) probably around $800 but you will need to share utility costs. If you are a vegan and don't drink too much (especially after last Sunday night's RIOT in Little India) you can get by pretty decently and might be able to save a third of your income if you are not a spendthrift.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajatagrawal

Post by rajatagrawal » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 1:18 am

I really appreciate your help. In addition to that if I go for a one room with toilet attached and kitchen to prepare food at home, how much would it cost to me as I will be working from home so kinda home as an office.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 5:51 am

If by the above you mean a one-room or studio apartment: Those are very rare in Singapore and will cost you the same as a two-bedroom-plus-hall unit, which starts at S$2000/month.

rajatagrawal

Post by rajatagrawal » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 1:11 pm

It would be better if I get something similar to studio apartment so that I can work peacefully. I checked on the ..in and rentinsingapore.com websites and I found some rooms. are these websites trustworhty?

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 1:39 pm

rajatagrawal wrote:It would be better if I get something similar to studio apartment so that I can work peacefully. I checked on the ..in and rentinsingapore.com websites and I found some rooms. are these websites trustworhty?
On your budget, get a master's room. It has an attached bath room, but you would have a common kitchen. If you go for a room in a somewhat modern condo, should be quiet enough, though of course still recommended to view.

ulu ulu

Post by ulu ulu » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 5:15 pm

numbeo is a good resource for comparing cost of various items. For example the following is to compare between Bangalore and Singapore.

This should give you a good idea.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... =Singapore

jocox

Post by jocox » Tue, 24 Dec 2013 5:59 am

Me and my boyfriend live near the center we rent an apartment studio, spend on food and entertainment money is all together a month for two people $ 2000