Singapore Expats

Making business contacts in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Allieee

Making business contacts in Singapore

Post by Allieee » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:32 pm

Hi there,
I recently moved to SG with hubby and heard that when it comes to finding a job it's not about what you know but who you know. So I was wondering how and where you business network? Are there any institutions organising business events regularly? I've been to some Internations events but apart from making friends (which is great, don't get me wrong!!!) I didn't really manage to make 'useful' contacts. Really appreciate any kind of advice!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 1:08 pm

First of all, try to find if your current business network in your home country knows anyone based in Singapore, that'd be a very good start because your connections would be able to personally introduce you to the Singaporean counterpart.

I sometimes find the 'random' business networking sessions very superficial and cumbersome. I find much satisfaction from personal introduction over coffee. Depending on your industry though, because some industries have their own specific networking groups, which could be more effective.

Good luck.

Allieee

Post by Allieee » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:13 am

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't think any of my old business contacts could introduce me to anyone in Singapore since I worked for a local company that doesn't have employees or clients abroad, so it's a bit difficult. But I will try to dig deeper - thanks for the advise!

You are right, networking events can be very stiff but maybe there is a nice mix somewhere ;). Will do more research on FB and LinkeIn groups. Anyone experience with that??

NikaAddis

Post by NikaAddis » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:08 pm

Join the FB group ExPat Wifes Singapore. You'll be able to get in touch with a lot of people there. Also becoming a member of the American Association of Singapore (http://www.aasingapore.com/) or any other association might be a good idea. You don't have to be American to join but once a member you can take part in the different career workshops they are organising and expand your business network in Singapore. Also still continue going to the Internations meetings, you never know who you'll meet :)

alufolie

Post by alufolie » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 3:13 pm

Hello,

I found employment networking through Singapore ExPat Wives. Great community and also many of my clients have come through word of mouth from ANZA.

Good Luck!

Allieee

Post by Allieee » Tue, 14 Jan 2014 9:50 am

Thank you for the great advice. Really didn't expect that finding employment here would be so hard :( . I joined the FB ExpatWives group and also the American Association of Singapore (will have a look at ANZA, too).

Has anyone been to the career workshops organised by the AAS (http://www.aasingapore.com/crce-workshops/) and could share their experience? TIA!

Allieee

Post by Allieee » Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:11 am

Hi all,

Just a quick update, in case you're interested :). I went to some of the career workshops organised by the American Association of Singapore and I thought they were great! The spekaers are very competent and can offer advise on any topics (resume, linkedin, interview, paper work, etc.). I especially liked the workshop "Don't send your resume" by Dan Gedal but all speakers are good and treat different topics (http://www.aasingapore.com/crce-workshops/).

The FB group ExPat Wives turned out to be a gold mine, too :). I made a lot of contacts with great women and am thinking of setting up my own business at the moment.

qwe7410

Post by qwe7410 » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 1:54 am

I wonder who told TS that.

Not true for my case