Singapore Expats Forum

Want to be a nurse - how to??

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

how to be

Want to be a nurse - how to??

Postby how to be » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 9:09 pm

I am interested in becoming a nurse and in my home country there are plenty of study options for me to choose from. I am not sure how to go about it here in singapore and the costs involved as well. I also have a small child, no maid or car which is not a problem back home but does make life more difficult here. Is it possible to study nursing here and what are the job prospects afterwards? Thanks. :?:

Postby Guest » Sat, 08 Jan 2005 4:49 pm

yes you can become a nurse in singapore. job prospects a aplenty coz there's a shortage as in most developed countries. the main nursing school is located in Nanyang Polytechnique. you grduate with a diploma in nursing which u can convert to a dgree with further study.
no sure what sort of salary u expect but you should get pain $S2K starting salary. diploma is 2 years

how to be

Postby how to be » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 8:44 pm

Thanks, I checked the polytechnic website and it says that the diploma goes for 3 years not 2 but after you do the diploma then you can complete a bachelors in 2 years but I think it is at an outside uni not one based in singapore. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there with personal experience working here as a nurse? Would they recommend it?

friends

hi

Postby friends » Tue, 01 Feb 2005 6:32 pm

hi

it is true that the nursing at NYP will take 3 years and you can easily get a posting in local hospitals. the salary rage for fresh people is arund 1.8 to 2k . But regrding the Degree in nursing,, the singapore nursing board is directing a course in Bsc Nursing in Association with some Aussie University..you can check at http://www.snb.gov.sg/