Singapore Expats Forum

Alcohol Ban in Little India ......... Job Done ......

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:00 am

Sergei82 wrote:I've had a couple of local friend-girls (not girl friends) who were telling me they've never been to Little India, because they're very scared (ages: late 20s, early 30s, one Chinese, another Malay).


Please, if they're afraid of Singapore's Little India, tell them not to bother travelling to other countries (not even Malaysia) where a regular street can be 10 time more dangerous for women than here.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:02 am

Well if they can't deal with LI let's hope they never travel abroad. Or are they just being casually racist?

@ Ecu
CNA rolling news. Yah like CNN 24/7 rolling coverage from Baghdad hehe...



p.s. 'Jinx' with the Lynx :)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9285
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:04 am

Sergei82 wrote:I've had a couple of local friend-girls (not girl friends) who were telling me they've never been to Little India, because they're very scared (ages: late 20s, early 30s, one Chinese, another Malay).


you should ask, scared of what ??

A lot of Malay friends of mine are not scared of Little India, unlike a fair number of Chinese who act terrified .. though I suspect they may still be heading there occasionally .. after all Little India has things more than All-Indian stuff, from Chinese Run Jewellery Shops, a few Churches - for a start, and then the HDB with EIP = enough non-Indians

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:11 am

In fact, they travel abroad often. I think, they're just squeamish about LI.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9285
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:21 am

Sergei82 wrote:In fact, they travel abroad often. I think, they're just squeamish about LI.


stereotyping at it's best ?? :)

as I said, a fair number of people living/working in LI are non-Indians .. unlike, say China Town, where you are often confronted by Chinese salegirls speaking in Mandarin selling this or that (more often that .. ) heck, 9 out of 10 shoos in China town will reply in Mandarin, even if you ask in English ... and I been scolded by a lady selling "BODY THERAPY" that it is wrong for me to not speak Mandarin ..

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 8:44 am

ecureilx wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:In fact, they travel abroad often. I think, they're just squeamish about LI.


stereotyping at it's best ?? :)

as I said, a fair number of people living/working in LI are non-Indians .. unlike, say China Town, where you are often confronted by Chinese salegirls speaking in Mandarin selling this or that (more often that .. ) heck, 9 out of 10 shoos in China town will reply in Mandarin, even if you ask in English ... and I been scolded by a lady selling "BODY THERAPY" that it is wrong for me to not speak Mandarin ..


I think they're just confusing fear with feeling uncomfortable. (Remember study that shows Singaporeans are bad at expressing emotions?) I know a few women/girls that feel quite uncomfortable by the foreign workers anywhere. My wife has been harassed at ECP. I don't think it has anything to do with the other residents in Little India except just the high amount of foreign workers. If they all suddenly started hanging out at Marina Bay on the weekends you'd probably hear the same thing there.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 8:54 am

zzm9980 wrote:If they all suddenly started hanging out at Marina Bay on the weekends you'd probably hear the same thing there.


With the sentiments from the xkbw locals, it WILL be materialised when the government bends under pressure to ban foreign workers from Little India.

*kbw - keyboard warrior (something I've learned from hardwarezone)
xkbw - xenophobic version of kbw (something I've added for the local touch)
Ooo, don't we just love acronyms here?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 9:03 am

the lynx wrote:With the sentiments from the xkbw locals, it WILL be materialised when the government bends under pressure to ban foreign workers from Little India.


So how? Indian resident, businessman or tourist wishes to visit LI, are they going to have a roadblock, or a 'ring of steel' and id check for Indians only?

When Indians are banned, what should Indian-less LI be renamed as, any suggestions ? :)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 9:06 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:With the sentiments from the xkbw locals, it WILL be materialised when the government bends under pressure to ban foreign workers from Little India.


So how? Indian resident, businessman or tourist wishes to visit LI, are they going to have a roadblock, or a 'ring of steel' and id check for Indians only?

When Indians are banned, what should Indian-less LI be renamed as, any suggestions ? :)


Exactly!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 9:31 am

I can see it now. My immediate neighbours back home are 'posh-Indians'*. Not showy/flashy or any of that, but they are a historically wealthy family and are all top-end educated. So the lady of the house has an exceedingly upper-class accent (sounds a bit like the Queen), and yes I do occasionally have to stifle a smile.

Thoughts of them being corralled through barriers for a pat-down. Oh yes... that'd go down well! :o :lol:


* In fact now as I write, I'm pretty sure that SG is their point of origin!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 9:47 am

JR8 wrote:When Indians are banned, what should Indian-less LI be renamed as, any suggestions ? :)


it will be renamed "so called Little India" or the place formerly known as little India :roll:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9285
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 9:57 am

zzm9980 wrote:... I know a few women/girls that feel quite uncomfortable by the foreign workers anywhere. My wife has been harassed at ECP. I don't think it has anything to do with the other residents in Little India except just the high amount of foreign workers. If they all suddenly started hanging out at Marina Bay on the weekends you'd probably hear the same thing there.


I am in the same boat as you, and I live near Little India, and I do try to avoid cross the road to get Dinner with my other half .. and weekdays, Little India is as any place in Singapore .. heck, it is even less crowded than the likes of Raffles Place or even Tampines ..

My point is, on a weekday, to say Little India is unsafe is pushing it a bit too much ..

Little India on weekends, yes, you do get stares, but none dare get near me or my wife .. as there is ample police / Cisco Presence and they are much better behaved .. than .. the drunkard who walked over to an ex-GF in the then Madam Wongs, and asked her how much she would ask for a night .. or another, in Chijmes, who decided to shake and hold another ex-GFs hand and in the process, started appraising her like appraising a piece of meat .. and asked her in a little loud voice if she would like to go to his apartment, for a night cap - at 9 PM .... and another, who casually asked a group of my friend -the women folk - if they would like to go over to his place for some fun .. and order some pizza and play games .. and none of the guys who did this were drunk (or maybe they decided I am Fugly enough for them to barge in and steal my chick ;) )

And these all happened when the bars were not so crowded, starting hours and .. the bars were not the sleazy bars .. and the guys who did this kind of stuff were "expats" ..

Compared to the last, No sir, Little India it isn't that scary .. even on Weekends, is all I will say ..

And Marina Bay ? well, there were more Workers in one Zouk Out .. and when the IRs opened, there was some noise that the place is overflowing with foreign workers and maids .. I don't think people avoided those places .. :)

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Sat, 21 Dec 2013 4:18 pm

A new drinking rule will be in place for six months ....

Problem solved
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 23 Dec 2013 9:14 am

Sergei82 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:There is a good Russian restaurant in Little India. If I can't drink there anymore, that sucks!


Oh what is the name of that restaurant? I've always wanted to try Russian food. You can PM me if you don't want authorities to read this and impose the alcohol ban on that place :P


http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/Zeffir_restaurant/

But you may pass this one more often (it is in CQ):

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/Rasputin_Russian_Bar___Restaurant/
(bad memories of "Russian" party ending with droves of drunk Indians coming in and dancing on tables)


Just wanna let you know that Zeffir is no longer in Little India. It has moved to Chinatown for a while now.

https://www.facebook.com/ZeffirSG?fref=ts

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Mon, 23 Dec 2013 9:43 am

Haven't been there for looong time. Anyone wants to there with me for a small meetup this week? :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests