Singapore Expats

Alcohol Ban in Little India ......... Job Done ......

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 1:09 pm

Barnsley wrote:
bgd wrote:
Saint wrote:It's only a ban for this weekend
And only in a limited area around Race Course/Buffalo Roads, although there does seem to be some confusion around boundaries.

Despite some of the comments in the press I reckon the approach so far has been reasonable and shows common sense. I guess we just wait and see how things develop.
Radio this morning I am sure said that it was a total ban in Little India as they mentioned Hostels, Restaurants, convenience stores and pubs.

Need to be a bit clearer as the weekend is approaching :D
Time to look elsewhere temporarily? :P

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 1:12 pm

There is a good Russian restaurant in Little India. If I can't drink there anymore, that sucks!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 1:14 pm

Sergei82 wrote:There is a good Russian restaurant in Little India. If I can't drink there anymore, that sucks!
This was an issue I alluded to yesterday. 'Goodbye tourism!'.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 1:15 pm

Sergei82 wrote:There is a good Russian restaurant in Little India. If I can't drink there anymore, that sucks!
Oh what is the name of that restaurant? I've always wanted to try Russian food. You can PM me if you don't want authorities to read this and impose the alcohol ban on that place :P

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 1:56 pm

the lynx wrote:
Oh what is the name of that restaurant? I've always wanted to try Russian food. You can PM me if you don't want authorities to read this and impose the alcohol ban on that place :P
Its near POW I think.

Gonna check out Joo Chiat this weekend for a change. :cool:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 2:04 pm

the lynx wrote:
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/ ... estaurant/

But you may pass this one more often (it is in CQ):

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/ ... estaurant/
(bad memories of "Russian" party ending with droves of drunk Indians coming in and dancing on tables)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 9:56 am

No beer at the POW Pub? Oh noes!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:07 pm

Sergei82 wrote: ...
The other Russian Restaurant i know, and the only one I been to, is Shashlicks, in Far East, not sure if they are operating still ..

Back to subject, I was a bit perplexed that the 'zone' covers a few HDB blocks in the fringe - does it mean those in those blocks also can't drink ? of course, across the road, for me, is Dorset Road, and I hope the Hawker Center doesn't get too crowded :D

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:16 pm

ecureilx wrote:The other Russian Restaurant i know, and the only one I been to, is Shashlicks, in Far East, not sure if they are operating still ..
This means you haven't been to Russian restaurant here yet. Shashlyk's menu has only Russian names for the food. All the food there was atrociously "customized" to local taste and has nothing to do with anything Russian.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:33 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:The other Russian Restaurant i know, and the only one I been to, is Shashlicks, in Far East, not sure if they are operating still ..
This means you haven't been to Russian restaurant here yet. Shashlyk's menu has only Russian names for the food. All the food there was atrociously "customized" to local taste and has nothing to do with anything Russian.
Just like the Chinese food we get in India :) Its only after coming here, I realized, Chinese food served in Indian restaurants is a completely Indianized version.

There is a new Indianized Chinese restaurant called Manchurian Club in UE Bizhub East in CBP, if anyone wants to try. We liked it.

http://www.manchurianclub.com.sg/

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:38 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
oh, shucks, then let me say I only have tasted fine Russian Vodka .. :D

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:50 pm

Just like the Chinese food we get in India :) Its only after coming here, I realized, Chinese food served in Indian restaurants is a completely Indianized version.

There is a new Indianized Chinese restaurant called Manchurian Club in UE Bizhub East in CBP, if anyone wants to try. We liked it.
Its the same all over the world, tastes catered to the local pallete.

Chinese food in the part of Korea I was in was nothing like I had had before!!

There is a British Indian restaurant somewhere around Marina Bay Financial Center, I really should go looking for it.

Wouldnt mind a UK style Chinese restaurant to open somewhere either :D

Nothing like a UK Indian curry or UK Chinese beef in black bean sauce for the taste of home :cool:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 2:27 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Nothing like a UK Indian curry or UK Chinese beef in black bean sauce for the taste of home :cool:
Quite. I find the offerings available from Marks & Spencer to be the most authentic of all :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 2:41 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Matter of fact, the Chinese dishes here are a bit modified, vs those you find in HK, for a start .. no, me never been to China Mainland Yet !!!
a British Indian restaurant somewhere around Marina Bay Financial Center, I really should go looking for it.
If you meant "Anglo Indian, opposite SGX Center, well, it was pretty much North Indian Fare, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary ..

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 4:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
If you meant "Anglo Indian, opposite SGX Center, well, it was pretty much North Indian Fare, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary ..
Given the name I thought the fact that it had German beer on tap a little “out of the ordinary”