Singapore Expats

Alcohol Ban in Little India ......... Job Done ......

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Alcohol Ban in Little India ......... Job Done ......

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 5:04 pm

Everything sorted .....

Nothing to see here .......

Move along

:D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 7:24 pm

Oh yes, as history shows, prohibition really works well. [/sarcasm]

'Just say no'. [/sarcasm]

p.s. Well that's me not going down to LI for dinner again. Does it mean if I'm staying in a hotel like the Park Royal/Kitchener Road, I can't get served a beer there? If so, I'm not staying there again either! Can Mustafa still sell alcohol?

Kwality thought-out plan! [//sarcasm]

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 7:55 pm

Prince of Wales
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 8:19 pm

nakatago wrote:Prince of Wales
//Buh-bye!

Saint, and similar business owners, must be pondering this situation carefully :-k

p.s. Edit to change emo. As : -P ime would normally convey sadness/being hard done by, but here via aasci input, it comes out as 'Razz'... totally different from what I was trying to convey ...
Last edited by JR8 on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:30 pm

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:42 pm

The front page of the daily national tabloid today..... :o
Assuming the front page photo.is genuine... I would.think the manufacturers of.knockout beer not to happy.

Its not a Campbells.Soup.Andy Warhol moment.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:50 am

Strong Eagle wrote:This article says it all.

http://www.therealsingapore.com/content ... telligence

And here I thought the instigation of the riot was a traffic accident.

Sort out the bloody traffic first, better pedestrian control, better driving standards and even better lighting THEN if the people still can't handle it, repopulate the area with fish.

I don't know......I leave the country for a few days and it falls apart with me :roll:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:12 am

It's only a ban for this weekend

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:24 am

I live in Little India.. so my 2 cents (no, I wasnt in Sg during the whole blow up .. )

1) yes, Alcohol does play a part, as after 8 or 9, you can see them getting boisterous and giving 'looks' to girls ... and those who know me, will understand my situation, as my other half is of a 'different colour' .. though they maintain the distance, you can imagine them mentally stripping any woman who dares to cross in front of them ..

2) Being from some background, I have seen, in the car park across Naranjan, trucks reversing (the trucks ferrying the workers) almost till hitting the guys relaxing on the ground, and the guys on the ground in the car park just don't care .. as .. back home, the pedestrian is the king, even if that means the middle of the road .

It was an accident waiting to happen, and it just happened the driver was chinese - most of the truck drivers are Indians, I wonder how it would have panned out if the guy was run over by a Indian truck driver .. (imagine the similarity with the Ferrari driver @ bugis, if he had been a native .. :) )

3) nobody cares about the traffic in the road, especially when the evening wears out .. as they all are rushing to grab their transport, it just was an accident waiting to happen

Now, for those who are demanding to banish the workers to another island .. I just have this to say:

1) rename Singapore to Saudipore, and just lock the workers ..
2) lock the workers now, and in a few years, the line between workers and professionals will be blurring (like S Pass = Work Pass ?? ) and then just lock all professionals too away
3) almost 50% of the guys going to Little India on Sunday are going to do their grocery shopping .. as you can see most of them carrying bags and bags of groceries - pray - what is the recourse for them ? issue them standardised MRE / Dog good instead of them having some home cooked food ? and then wonder why they don't want to work here, stand under the hot sun for the whole day ?
4) what about the millions turned around on a weekend, from sales of grocery, to Singtel to M1 to Starhub to each and every other instant shops that get put up selling stuff from grabes to oranges to all... wonder how they are gonna react... directly or indirectly ..
5) the major benefactors are the transport operators, with the Hampshire road closed every Sunday .. so would they be happy to loose their income ?

Speechless is all I will say, to those who demand banishing all workers from Little India

Like somebody said, let the Town council workers stop picking garbage, for a start, and see what will happen ..

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:37 am

Barnsley wrote:The front page of the daily national tabloid today..... :o
Assuming the front page photo.is genuine... I would.think the manufacturers of.knockout beer not to happy.

Its not a Campbells.Soup.Andy Warhol moment.
Its the same the world over isn't it. In the UK they blamed it on Carlsberg Special Brew and here the mother of all evil is knockout.

Stop that and everything will be OK right.............................................

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:53 am

Saint wrote:It's only a ban for this weekend
And only in a limited area around Race Course/Buffalo Roads, although there does seem to be some confusion around boundaries.

Despite some of the comments in the press I reckon the approach so far has been reasonable and shows common sense. I guess we just wait and see how things develop.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:58 am

Steve1960 wrote:
Its the same the world over isn't it. In the UK they blamed it on Carlsberg Special Brew…..
Actually they got that one right, Special Brew is evil ;-)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:35 pm

Driving there is hell, yes, those folks are just loitering in the middle of the road carelessly not paying attention to anything.
On the other hand, there are so many of them concentrated in such a tiny area that I wonder is it really possible to keep the roads clear in LI? There is no physical space to accomodate such a mass of people!

I wonder, is that how India looks like? Even without those workers on the street, Mustafa itself is arranged so chaotically that often you have to literally step on people's heads to reach a certain location. Very interesting shopping mall, but all that mess keeps me away from it for most of the year.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:37 pm

bgd wrote:
And only in a limited area around Race Course/Buffalo Roads, although there does seem to be some confusion around boundaries.

Despite some of the comments in the press I reckon the approach so far has been reasonable and shows common sense. I guess we just wait and see how things develop.
Radio this morning I am sure said that it was a total ban in Little India as they mentioned Hostels, Restaurants, convenience stores and pubs.

Need to be a bit clearer as the weekend is approaching :D

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:37 pm

Its a slippery slope that's started upon.