Singapore Expats

iPhone 5 appetite

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:37 am

Steve1960 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:The phone is also switched off now at night and when charging.
You can also just toggle on 'Airplane' mode. It'll completely disable the radios and is much faster than shutting it down completely. Just 'swipe up' from the bottom of the screen and tap the airplane icon to toggle it off or on. No possibility of data usage while it's on.
Yes good point although I heard the iPhone switches the radio on during charging if left in sleep mode, or something like that.
Nope. The person who told you that possibly confused it with one of two things:

If you're charging and connected to Wifi, it will do things like backup to iCloud if you configured that to happen. If Airplane mode is on (and charging) it still will not turn on any radios.

or

Newer Macs (not iPhone or iPad) has something called 'PowerNap' where it turn on wifi while the system is asleep to check for new emails (on accounts that support it), push notifications, and download software updates.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:41 am

ah OK got it thanks.

Given the life I have spent in the Tech industry, working in MS DOS, fixing multiple MS Windows issues over the years, building and configuring PC's and laptops you might have thought I would be more proficient with mobile phone hardware and software.

Nope!! :oops:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:41 am

zzm9980 wrote:
You can also just toggle on 'Airplane' mode. It'll completely disable the radios and is much faster than shutting it down completely. Just 'swipe up' from the bottom of the screen and tap the airplane icon to toggle it off or on. No possibility of data usage while it's on.
If you switch it to airplane mode, what use it has anyway? May as well shut it down completely. Especially when you're sleeping.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:45 pm

Can still play games, what! :lol: Also can use a vibrating alarm clock. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 2:42 pm

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
If you switch it to airplane mode, what use it has anyway? May as well shut it down completely. Especially when you're sleeping.
As he said, it saves time. Powering down/up takes ~2 min. Also some people may use it as an alarm clock, have some reminders etc.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 8:34 pm

x9200 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: You can also just toggle on 'Airplane' mode. It'll completely disable the radios and is much faster than shutting it down completely. Just 'swipe up' from the bottom of the screen and tap the airplane icon to toggle it off or on. No possibility of data usage while it's on.
As he said, it saves time. Powering down/up takes ~2 min. Also some people may use it as an alarm clock, have some reminders etc.
Yeah, this. Airplane mode is instant. Shutting down or booting an iOS device (And Android too IME) can take 45-90 seconds.

While in Airplane, you have games, camera, photos, movies, music, etc.