Singapore Expats

iPhone 5 appetite

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Steve1960
Editor
Editor

iPhone 5 appetite

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 1:55 pm

Having a problem with my wife's new iPhone 5S.

Its not on contract its pay as you go and it is eating her credit at an alarming rate. I have trawled the Internet and picked up some ideas which have not improved the problem.

When outside the apartment she wants to use 3G for emails (no attachments) and SMS messages without everything else on the phone causing unnecessary data traffic.

I have switched off what I can find but I am no expert with mobile phones and particularly the Apple OS.

Suggestions or advice? Oh, my advice before purchasing it was buy a Samsung S4 with Android but she ignored that :wink:

nakatago

Re: iPhone 5 appetite

Post by nakatago » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 2:29 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Having a problem with my wife's new iPhone 5S.

Its not on contract its pay as you go and it is eating her credit at an alarming rate. I have trawled the Internet and picked up some ideas which have not improved the problem.

When outside the apartment she wants to use 3G for emails (no attachments) and SMS messages without everything else on the phone causing unnecessary data traffic.

I have switched off what I can find but I am no expert with mobile phones and particularly the Apple OS.

Suggestions or advice? Oh, my advice before purchasing it was buy a Samsung S4 with Android but she ignored that :wink:
Restrict background data? Skip over to the iOS section:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2048068 ... d-ios.html
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 2:41 pm

Are you talking about data or battery?

If it's data, you have switched on the prepaid plan, right? (I did this also with my current 4S)
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 2:48 pm

One of a few good points about iOS7 is better control of mobile data.
Go to settings -> mobile data ...scroll down ... use mobile data for ... and do as you whish )or check out what eats most).

Or you did it already?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 2:50 pm

Akimbo wrote:Are you talking about data or battery?

If it's data, you have switched on the prepaid plan, right? (I did this also with my current 4S)
Data. What exactly do you mean by 'switch on the prepaid plan'?

Many Thanks

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 2:52 pm

x9200 wrote:One of a few good points about iOS7 is better control of mobile data.
Go to settings -> mobile data ...scroll down ... use mobile data for ... and do as you whish )or check out what eats most).

Or you did it already?
Yes we went through that after a few Internet searches. Switched off the hungry apps but when she took the phone out again today it still ate her credit :-(

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 3:06 pm

Errr...I use M1, so...there's a prepaid data plan called M1 Sunsurf Plan. Just dial #100*7*3*1*1# and confirm it, and it will take $7 from your credit for a 1 week data of 1 GB...

I don't know what telco you're using, but if you don't have a Prepaid Plan yet, the data balance will just be taken from your wife's credit...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 3:13 pm

Akimbo wrote:Errr...I use M1, so...there's a prepaid data plan called M1 Sunsurf Plan. Just dial #100*7*3*1*1# and confirm it, and it will take $7 from your credit for a 1 week data of 1 GB...

I don't know what telco you're using, but if you don't have a Prepaid Plan yet, the data balance will just be taken from your wife's credit...
I am 'mobile phone stupid' :oops: If I didn't need one for work I wouldn't have one at all.

I get it now thanks, the wife is with Singtel so I will take a look at what they offer.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 3:49 pm

Steve1960 wrote:
x9200 wrote:One of a few good points about iOS7 is better control of mobile data.

Or you did it already?
Yes we went through that after a few Internet searches. Switched off the hungry apps but when she took the phone out again today it still ate her credit :-(
So what did the eating? You should know it as it shows the numbers next to the application. If not on the application list then below in the system services list.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 11 Dec 2013 8:07 pm

Yes, tell us how big her plan is and what is eating so much. You may have an extremely small plan that will make it difficult to avoid going over.

For what it's worth, you can get 1GB of LTE data from M1 for $18 pre-paid pr month. Assuming you use Wifi at home and don't stream movies while you're out of the house, that should be more than sufficient. I'm quite the heavy data user and I rarely go over 1GB. (Using Wifi at home and the office).

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:00 am

I think we have solved it with help from some of you. Nakatago your link was very useful as was other advice.

It seems we had not switched off everything. Notably background app synch and push. The phone is also switched off now at night and when charging.

I downloaded the Onavo app which helped to easily identify what was sucking data. For 5 hours last night and a further 3 hours this morning data usage has been negligible at a few kb and my wife has been using email outside the apartment on 3G rather than WiFi.

Ironically 99% of the drain in the reported 3.69MB of 3G data traffic in those 8 hours is Onavo itself!

As for the plan. My wife has been buying Singtel HOT128 top up cards for 28 dollars a go. This is probably not the best card for her. We are going to give the 22 dollar 'Data Talk' card a try. That will give her 250MB of data useage in a 30 day period which should be enough for what she needs.

Once again thanks for your help

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:37 am

Steve1960 wrote:I think we have solved it with help from some of you. Nakatago your link was very useful as was other advice.

It seems we had not switched off everything. Notably background app synch and push. The phone is also switched off now at night and when charging.

I downloaded the Onavo app which helped to easily identify what was sucking data. For 5 hours last night and a further 3 hours this morning data usage has been negligible at a few kb and my wife has been using email outside the apartment on 3G rather than WiFi.

Ironically 99% of the drain in the reported 3.69MB of 3G data traffic in those 8 hours is Onavo itself!

As for the plan. My wife has been buying Singtel HOT128 top up cards for 28 dollars a go. This is probably not the best card for her. We are going to give the 22 dollar 'Data Talk' card a try. That will give her 250MB of data useage in a 30 day period which should be enough for what she needs.

Once again thanks for your help
NP. My sister experiences a similar problem but with an Android.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:16 am

Steve1960 wrote:The phone is also switched off now at night and when charging.
You can also just toggle on 'Airplane' mode. It'll completely disable the radios and is much faster than shutting it down completely. Just 'swipe up' from the bottom of the screen and tap the airplane icon to toggle it off or on. No possibility of data usage while it's on.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:20 am

I can understand that I had the same issue on the personal phone I am using.

Long story short. Been lazy suing the company mobile number for Internet banking, one time passwords etc. Bit the bullet, bought a SIM card, put it in my wife's redundant Galaxy S2 and now I finally have a personal mobile phone.

Switched it on and in no time at all it used all the pre paid load!

I have just today gone through the same exercise of switching everything off, downloading Ovana and have purchased a cheap top up and will see how it goes.

The service providers must be rubbing their hands together taking money form those of us why buy new phones or SIM cards and learn the hard way about setup :-(

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:23 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:The phone is also switched off now at night and when charging.
You can also just toggle on 'Airplane' mode. It'll completely disable the radios and is much faster than shutting it down completely. Just 'swipe up' from the bottom of the screen and tap the airplane icon to toggle it off or on. No possibility of data usage while it's on.
Yes good point although I heard the iPhone switches the radio on during charging if left in sleep mode, or something like that.