Singapore Expats Forum

Riot in Little India

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 1:51 pm

Here is the list of cooling off moves:

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/bu ... ttle-india


The police also said yesterday anyone who is drunk and behaving in a disorderly manner may also be arrested under the Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 3:17 pm

Wd40 wrote:Here is the list of cooling off moves:

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/bu ... ttle-india


The police also said yesterday anyone who is drunk and behaving in a disorderly manner may also be arrested under the Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act.


This ends up being a pretty big area. Now, I am just wondering whether that will heighten or lower tensions... Imagine you are a worker on your only day off, you go to your favorite area (already annoyed at having to spend precious money to take public transport), only to find out you cannot even have a drink to relax a bit on your day off. And then when you do have a drink, some (aux) police is trying to take it away from you.

Of course, they are trying to remediate by keeping the workers out of the area to begin with. But this may also be the only place they know where they can get certain things...

Never mind that some business will have an almost 100% loss in earnings over that weekend (especially liquor shops).

Well, we'll see. Let's hope everything stays calm.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 3:24 pm

Cooling off measures? For whom? I reckon that the heat from the FW was dissipated that night. Now the cooling off measures are probably for the locals, so that they feel they are getting their money's worth from the 1.5m/year Ministers.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 3:42 pm

Off to Geylang this weekend then, is it?
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

firegold 99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 11 Dec 2013

Postby firegold 99 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 8:08 pm

the lynx wrote:
firegold 99 wrote:I agree with the last phrase but however Sun Tv is like forums , as a moderator you should know , to cite one good example will be EA Playfish forum. They said the game will coming but actually it is plain rumour that why some forums have its rules .

I have disagree with you again , some do not drink alcohol unless the person is an alcoholic drinker therefore banning may help but company will complain they loose business but they can sell softdrink instead .

Our pioneers will be upset to see this happen as they struggled the early riots in the 60's . Lee Kuan Yew cried and separated Malaysia in 1964-1965 because of riots and fighting issues but there will still problems with law legislation after 60's .They have combat SARS in 2003, h1n1 and deadly virus , dengue , ministerial attitude , hawker not being clean , Bukit Panjang fire/Singtel service and anonymous hacking.


firegold 99 wrote:I disagree , then i ask you a question , all moderators should know this .
why does some forums block from posting religion topic ?

and you misunderstand the post and i ask you a few questions .

1. The above Qn, why does some forums block from posting religion topic ?

" 6. Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature are not allowed. Unfortunately, past experience has shown that such threads/discussions tend to get out of hand and require excessive maintenance and monitoring by the staff. Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature will be locked or removed without notice. We appreciate your understanding on this position " ( see below ref)


2. Public rumour : There is a lot public rumour , does your moderators here believe in rumours made by public ?


I will post some of the refs .

ref:

http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/com.....gulations/

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Answe.....-p/1679247

Chinese or Singaporeans do not drink alcohol unless they are stress

ref: http://library.thinkquest.org/.....ol/a2.html


firegold 99, please stop spewing immature bullshit without checking the validity, you're embarrassing yourself and whoever you claim to represent (that would include me)!

Sia sui!

1. I'm also of Chinese descent (probably like yourself) and I drink regularly because I like it and I socialise with other people over ice cold beer. So you're saying that I'm either alcoholic/stressed?

2. That Thinkquest library is a flop. That's a secondary educational website for homework! And it says nothing about Chinese/Singaporeans drinking when they are stressed or that only certain race/people with alcoholism drink alcohol regularly. Please check your references before putting it out like that.

3. Get your history right. Singapore is NOT the only country with BIG problems. Yes the great LKY and other pioneers did a great job during their time in modernising Singapore, but this is now and frankly, it is unfair to pin to them, like you did, that it is their emotional responsibility for every single thing that has happened since.

4. You wanna talk about racism? How naive and hypocritical of you when in three posts in this thread, you already condoned the very same thing you thought you're fighting against, by suggesting certain nationalities should drive slower and that only certain races have drinking problems.

4. Once again, please stop embarrassing yourself and others.


Sorry i have disagree with all your points 1-4 . Not all Chinese drink alcohol . Only some and i not spreading bullshit or anything , it is the truth . There is some people who drink beer/alcohol because they are stress but they have no rights to destroy government property . Why do you think our MRT have fines ? That because the government want to have more money . When we paid more fines , the government will bring in more fines .Yes , Singapore have problems, as what i mentioned in earlier post .i repeat in my first post

1. 2003 SARS
2. H1N1 virus, haze in indonesia , anonymous hacking, singtel fire outbreak , dengue

all these are problems in Singapore recently .

Every incident occur , so everyone is responsible , but the one who is more responsible is the driver themselves then why do company set rules , they set rules for nothing ? They cannot set rules for nothing and it is for a purpose . We have riots in 60's , but do you know who prevent them from happening again, ? it is our pioneers .

As the above links/post , People do make rumours . Do you know who make rumours ? It is the member of public like you that is why we need more IT moderators on forum .

nakatago wrote:
firegold 99 wrote:I disagree , then i ask you a question , all moderators should know this .
why does some forums block from posting religion topic ?


Why are you asking us? It's their forum.

Internet forum moderators all over the world don't regularly meet to discuss things.


And please learn to conjugate your verbs properly.


1. Rumours - People do make mistakes and spread public rumours as i mentioned above . It is their forum yes it their forum but however some forum moderators fear about the person too racist & political, that is one purpose they set the rules . It is related back to rumours . They trying block all rumours and lies .

AngMoG wrote:
firegold 99 wrote:
I have disagree with you again , some do not drink alcohol unless the person is an alcoholic drinker therefore banning may help but company will complain they loose business but they can sell softdrink instead .


Thanks lynx for addressing the rest of the BS from this poor soul. Sounds to me like someone still in high school, or at least fresh out of it.

I just wanted to pick the above for the absolute ridiculousness of it. Some people are alcoholics, some just like to drink alcohol, some drink alcohol occasionally and/or socially, and some drink when they are stressed. Those categories overlap of course.

The soft drink claim makes me speechless... So this person is claiming that people will buy soft drink when they cannot get beer, instead? :roll:

Fact is, a lot of companies will lose a fair amount of business this weekend, and essentially for no reason other than to show that something is being done.


Yes i think i agree with the bold word, it is true.

I underline/highlight - Business staff said they loose their sales . So what they can sell ? They only can sell softdrink or Mocktails for temporary and their rentals is very high for a few weekend , as weekend is more crowded than weekday as mentioned in the news report. They still can drink alcohol but they must know how limit themselves and educate .
As i mention earlier in my post , destroying government property is a law and you will be jailed

" Upon conviction, the penalty is a fine not exceeding S$2,000 or imprisonment not exceeding three years, and also corporal punishment of not less than three strokes and not more than eight strokes of the cane. However, caning will not be imposed on a first conviction if the act carried out falls within section 2(a)(i) and "the writing, drawing, mark or inscription is done with pencil, crayon, chalk or other delible substance or thing and not with paint, tar or other indelible substance or thing", or within sections 2(a)(ii) or (iii) "

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 9:38 pm

@ Firegold99

Most of your lengthy posts are challenging to understand, as the standard of English is not too good. Are you Singaporean?

Simpler if you try and get to the point, and focus on making the English better constructed.

Then hopefully a little more illuminating discussion on your points might naturally follow.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:10 pm

:roll: Firedcoal86,

Do both us and moreso, yourself a favour. Go away. We like the occasional troll, but seriously, usually trolls have full mental facilities. #-o :-k [-(

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2067
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:46 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Off to Geylang this weekend then, is it?


Funnily enough yes ...... although already planned.

Probably be packed now!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

firegold 99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 11 Dec 2013

Postby firegold 99 » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:59 am

1. This is a forum where people can agree and disagree and moderators/directors/reporters/administrative have no rights to shoo
people away .
I am not nuts but i am telling the facts .Let break in points .Also Please do not said about other people English or so ever, Try to get A for English class and i don't you get. - i am targeting on negative insults of commenter here.[off topic]

2. Banning alcohol - Some commenter(s) here said that all Chinese drink alcohol/beer/liquor and this is not true at all . Only some People drink alcohol.Some drink because they are stress or so ever , there is more to it beside stress . Many Business people fear that loose business or their jobs because high rental and they need to sell alcohol to make up to their cost .

(all article is from Channel new asia, asiaone and news bulletin)

In this article ,

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/bus ... 16724.html

They said "10 to 30 per cent dip" and 8 shops close . In this new article,

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 19046.html ,

As you read, the rentals very high , some business, try alternative such as cocktail and soft drink as some one here comment on soft drink claim but they don't have a choice because all the rules is set by our government

2. Pioneer and 60's -

There is a show on channel 5 There was a time , you can watch it at xin msn catch up tv here : http://video.xin.msn.com/browse/catch-up-tv

It shows that we have riots in the 60's , but there will still problems after 60's which i said so many times. SARS , H1N1 , haze in Indonesia and many more . I am not pinpointing on anyone especially the government and i do not have to take history lesson because this is political and anyone can argue about their opinion , you all said i am nuts, but this is the facts , Our pioneer struggle so hard. LKY cried in separation with Malaysia because he want peace, prosperity which stated in our pledge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBHyiaxQC8 , a youtube from worker party saying the pledge . He try to prevent more riots from happening. They have to suffer from British , Japanese Occupation and so on

3. Foreign Workers , Transport & Working -

We invite foreign worker or talents to improved our work scope , without
foreign workers, we won't have many attractions such as Singapore flyer and so on . In news articles from channel new asia , you seen a lot of article about foreigners . (If i post all the post will be long)

We must learn about the road from LTA because to protect ourselves .

Most people are feared on China bus driver, as they complain that bus jump , turn here turn there until very dizzy and it is real life unless you never sit on a China bus before .

http://www.clb.org.hk/en/content/chines ... ter-strike

This is a new report reported recently about SMRT Bus .

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9266db8a-602e ... z2nPjJ3VjU - here is the article

of china driver but some mentioned it is Singaporean driver at fault but all worker, drivers & etc should take responsibility .

4. Destroy government property - Drinking alcohol and then destroying government is wrong too . There is a penalty.

"Upon conviction, the penalty is a fine not exceeding S$2,000 or imprisonment not exceeding three years, and also corporal punishment of not less than three strokes and not more than eight strokes of the cane. However, caning will not be imposed on a first conviction if the act carried out falls within section 2(a)(i) and "the writing, drawing, mark or inscription is done with pencil, crayon, chalk or other delible substance or thing and not with paint, tar or other indelible substance or thing", or within sections 2(a)(ii) or (iii) "

5. Public Rumours/SunTV - Anyone can make rumours not only in this forum but all over world eg EA Games

The public can make statement that this is coming but actually it is a lie from public and we must go through investigation from that Admin who know the facts . Sun Tv is following the same mistake as EA Games .

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:24 am

firegold 99 wrote:1. This is a forum where people can agree and disagree and moderators/directors/reporters/administrative have no rights to shoo
people away .
I am not nuts but i am telling the facts .Let break in points .Also Please do not said about other people English or so ever, Try to get A for English class and i don't you get. - i am targeting on negative insults of commenter here.[off topic]

If not beyond some acceptable size I would probably ask for permission to use the above as my personal signature.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:59 am

[urlhttp://mothership.sg/2013/12/12-comments-praising-india-riot-hero-fact-unbelievably-condescending/[/url]

praising the hero...or not. :roll:

12 comments praising Little India riot ‘hero’ that are in fact unbelievably condescending

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:15 pm

Add to that, he wasn't the guy at all. :^o

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 1:56 pm

Firegold:
'They have to suffer from British and Japanese'

The British, really?

Funny, as I understood that when Raffles landed Singapore was an uninhabited mud-flat, and when they left it was an economically advanced fully functioning democratic society?

Perhaps you imagine it was a 'suffering' and undeveloped back-water until 1963-1965 when hey-presto, all the magic suddenly happened?

p.s. Japanese. Yes, when countries suffer hostile invasions during war-time the natives tend to be mistreated. I'm not condoning it of course, but it's no surprise that happened during the 3 year JP occupation of SG in WW2.

firegold 99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 11 Dec 2013

Postby firegold 99 » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 3:30 pm

JR8 wrote:Firegold:
'They have to suffer from British and Japanese'

The British, really?

Funny, as I understood that when Raffles landed Singapore was an uninhabited mud-flat, and when they left it was an economically advanced fully functioning democratic society?

Perhaps you imagine it was a 'suffering' and undeveloped back-water until 1963-1965 when hey-presto, all the magic suddenly happened?

p.s. Japanese. Yes, when countries suffer hostile invasions during war-time the natives tend to be mistreated. I'm not condoning it of course, but it's no surprise that happened during the 3 year JP occupation of SG in WW2.


Yap, you are basically correct about this and i agree with you that is why many Singaporeans surprise about the riots in Little India .

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 14 Dec 2013 3:45 pm

I can't make the connection that you appear to have made.

How does British founding/settlement, and Japanese invasion, relate to Sub-continental labour?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests